The Smart Key

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

The Smart Key

Post by Mister Paul »

Mine has worked flawlessly since I had it. It's great not having to faff around with keyrings, or getting the scoot scratched by dangly keys. It's unfortunate though that you only get one with the scoot. I believe that you get 2 fobs with the X-ADV.

I'm puzzled though by the flat battery scenario. In this case the smart key won't work. You can't get to the battery without lifting the seat, and can't lift the seat without the Smart key being present. The solution to this is that Honda gives you a plastic hexagonal key. You pull off a piece of bodywork by the ignition then use the plastic key to twist a lever which pops the seat lock. But this means that you have to carry the plastic key with you if you want to make sure you can get into the scoot if you have a battery issue. Which in some ways makes the Smart key unnecessary.

Thoughts? Am I getting this wrong?
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Re: The Smart Key

Post by alx123 »

Sorry, I'm not following. Why is the smartkey unnecessary when you have to carry the hexagonal key with you?
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

alx123 wrote:Sorry, I'm not following. Why is the smartkey unnecessary when you have to carry the hexagonal key with you?
I think the plastic hex is not an ignition key, just a luggage box key. I understand what he is saying and he has a real conundrum. You need the hex key to access a battery failure on your new keyless PCX. It would be like you couldn't open the door to your car to pull the hood latch if your battery failed. I have installed a manual keyless access to the luggage box in case I lock a key under the seat but it takes considerable tear down to rig it up. If you change your shocks you can take this mod easily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuLqjT_eQ34
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Smart key is a solution in search of a problem.
Its just something else to go wrong which you never needed in the first place.

No need to get damage from other keys, get one of these clips, take it off the stretchy thing and attach it by the keyring end to your usual keyring.
Next, place your bike key in the quick release end of the clip, when you get to the bike, take the key off the clip and stick it in the ignition.
At the end of journey remove key and put it back on the clip.
Hey presto, no scratches around ignition switch.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

alx123 wrote:Sorry, I'm not following. Why is the smartkey unnecessary when you have to carry the hexagonal key with you?
If you need to carry a key, it might as well work the ignition.
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

homie wrote:
I think the plastic hex is not an ignition key, just a luggage box key. I understand what he is saying and he has a real conundrum. You need the hex key to access a battery failure on your new keyless PCX. It would be like you couldn't open the door to your car to pull the hood latch if your battery failed. I have installed a manual keyless access to the luggage box in case I lock a key under the seat but it takes considerable tear down to rig it up. If you change your shocks you can take this mod easily.

Thanks. It's an SH300, but the same problem.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Mister Paul wrote:
homie wrote:

Thanks. It's an SH300, but the same problem.
Oh dang sorry... this new category has got me fumbling :lol: nevermind. The description under the header when looking at 'view new posts' just says "in technical help" and does not differentiate which technical section the post was made. It's a troll thing... sorry, I be trolling ;)
Last edited by homie on Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

Just bring the hex key, I never experience a dead batt yet but you could access the battery in seconds using the hex key. You might need to replace the battery before you can turn the scoot on. It's not like you can jumpstart it anyway. Nor kickstart.

I like the smartkey. I'm quite resistant about it at first, but as time pass it really made a kot of difference.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...