Oil leak

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Re: Oil leak

Post by Mister Paul »

GeorgeSK wrote:I wonder if they told you the lack of head gasket just to mollify you. Would the scoot work AT ALL without a head gasket? And wouldn't there be a fair bit of white vapor in the exhaust, since the head gasket is what is supposed to keep the coolant from getting to the combustion chamber?
Some bike engines were designed without a head gasket. Other bikes have removed them as it's supposed to be increase compression, so it can work.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

GeorgeSK wrote:I wonder if they told you the lack of head gasket just to mollify you. Would the scoot work AT ALL without a head gasket? And wouldn't there be a fair bit of white vapor in the exhaust, since the head gasket is what is supposed to keep the coolant from getting to the combustion chamber?
Wouldn't the engine suffer from knock/ preignition given then increased compression ratio unless the OP was using a seriously high octane fuel? Since a head gasket isn't normally a thin material, rather thicker - wouldn't it's absence have a noticeable effect?
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by Mister Paul »

Update:

Honda UK offered me a year's additional warranty. I said that I was concerned about the resale value of the scoot and any future issues that might appear at some time from running the engine for 1800 miles with no head gasket. They refused to replace the engine and said it would be fine now. I pointed out that an extra year's warranty would mean me being committed to more expensive servicing during that period. Honda UK acknowledged this and said that they'd give me one free service.

The local dealer didn't think this was sufficient and thought that Honda should give me a service package for extra peace of mind. Honda refused. They did send me a nice hamper at Christmas by way of apology.