Helmet Cleaning

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Helmet Cleaning

Post by WhiteNoise »

I came upon this video (below) from Jafrum on YouTube: How to Clean a motorcycle helmet.

I was actually looking for a helmet cleaning cup stand/seat/saddle or whatever you call it to place my helmet upside down into make cleaning easier. I've been resting it in my lap or on a towel or on some rubbery piece of shelving just to keep it from sliding away and getting scratched. It's a bugger when it keeps sliding. Anywho, I saw this helmet seat thingy online somewhere, and I can't seem to locate it again. Arg!

Anyone know where I can get one? (in the U.S.A.)

To use or not to use Plexus on yer helmet's?? :roll:

Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Re: Helmet Cleaning

Post by tbln930 »

I use the Cyclecare Formula 33 on everything motorcycle related. Great for shields and windshields and bugs on matte helmets. Doesn't hurt the matte graphics on my helmet either. (silicone and petroleum distillate free) Plexus is too strong IMO for the shields and matte finishes I heard. Dow makes some Acrylic cleaners that are very similar to the Formula 33 I used on my airplane windshields but either would work.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Write this guy at revzilla, they use a mini stand in all their reviews, I'm sure they sell them...

joshuaw@revzilla.com

As far as cleaning, mine never get really too dirty, but about every 10 days I wipe it down with alcohol/water in a spray bottle and then reseal with black fire Crystal seal-a spray on Polymer.. Nothing seems to stick on it and it sets up with a glasslike gloss. Interior is hand rinse and dry.

I used plexus for years , it works great on plex windshieldsels and visors. May have to pick some up again.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Externally I hand hold and use water - 1.5 years in despite a few minor scratches from minor knocks it looks new. Internally mine is still very clean and the summer helmet does not have a removable interior (Box BX1) but it's cleaned with interior helmet sanitiser.
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by j.d.b. »

Hmmm. I wasn't aware they were difficult to clean. Cool!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

This is a great discussion! Cleaning the inside of our helmets has been at the top of our list because we sweat so much in this heat...90 degrees and above. We air them out after each ride but eventually they smell pretty bad. We have taken a damp cloth to the insides but that only helps so much. I am open to suggestions. I think that I read somewhere that you have to be careful about what you use on the inside padding. Can we use alcohol without hurting it??
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

I would use diluted woolite instead of alcohol for interior items....woolite is the magic product that many detailers use on car interiors, most notably cloth interior's
Glen
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Glen, Great tip! I love Woolite! It makes things smell "fresh as a daisy" and the fragrance lasts awhile :P Oh, and I will be calling Revzilla soon to ask about a Nolan Bluetooth, so I'll ask about their helmet demo stand too. Thanks!!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Great stuff... who knew
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red

Post by j.d.b. »

I generally keep a helmet in service only a couple years or so, sometimes three. I wear a Campy bike cap (with the small visor) backward on my head so that I don't sweat into the padding nearly as much. Any small, cotton cap will do as a liner.
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

Caution should be taken if the helmet has leather strap but.
Remove any padding that is removable.
I put a folded towel in the bottom of a basin then fill the helmet with a dilute solution of warm water and laundry detergent. Massage the padding with hands, then replace the mixture with warm water and repeat until all the soap has got.
Place helmet right way up on another folded towel and wait for it to dry.

Wearing a silk balaclava under the helmet helps between cleaning (about once a year or longer depending on use)

Rationale?: Inside the helmet gets wet if one rides in the rain, so must be made to withstand being wet.
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

:lol:
Dug out my "good" helmet. To clean it for the first time.
Bloody hell all the foam on the liner has disintegrated. Just a bunch of yellow dust. Sure I can buy a new liner but I am way out here almost at the end of the supply chain.
Just happened to be wearing it on a trip to buy some pop rivets when I remembered the foam shop. In my best pantomime Thai I tried to explain thin 1/8" or less foam. Without much success. Then showed him my helmet. Whoa, he scurried of the the back of the shop and came back with 4mm grey-black fabric backed foam. Less than 1 quid for a square meter.
OK I have some cutting and gluing to do but... what a great place this is at the end of the supply chain..
I could go whole hog and get some lady to sew it in for me but it is not flat so may be too much hassle for her? I will have a look around!
wangsuda
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by wangsuda »

Proper way to clean helmets? I just throw the pads in the washing machine and was them in the "gentle" cycle. The helmet exterior is wiped down with a damp rag. This system has worked for four months now. But I am waiting for the pads to disintegrate LOL
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

wangsuda wrote:Proper way to clean helmets? I just throw the pads in the washing machine and was them in the "gentle" cycle. The helmet exterior is wiped down with a damp rag. This system has worked for four months now. But I am waiting for the pads to disintegrate LOL
I had no idea about this ability, very interesting when I started lifting out inserts today... thanks for the post. Plus there is a nice hat in there to wear separately :lol:
Attachments
liner.jpg
liner.jpg (233.42 KiB) Viewed 5263 times
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

Your pads won't disintegrate, but from using a washer, they will fray… Don't ask me how I know .....I had an ARAI interior happen about four years ago the same way. Just hand rinse, they will be fine
Glen
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Oh My God, the hat stories! Sorry, I laughed. Interior's Disintegrated? And I really liked your idea and ease of using the washing machine.... "gently" :| Not so Good!
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

WhiteNoise wrote:Oh My God, the hat stories! Sorry, I laughed. Interior's Disintegrated? And I really liked your idea and ease of using the washing machine.... "gently" :| Not so Good!
but its a really nice hat... I think we just go with it :lol:
Attachments
hat.jpg
hat.jpg (156.01 KiB) Viewed 5247 times
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

Still the best is to wear a silk balaclava under the helmet.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

waspmike wrote:Still the best is to wear a silk balaclava under the helmet.
needing to know what you are talking about I found a particularly colorful sales pitch :D

The Miracle of Silk
After 4000 years, nature and science have joined forces to produce a silk balaclava which can help thermo-regulate the body's temperature and dramatically speed up the dispersion and rapid evaporation of the body's perspiration.

The Terramar ThermaSilk CS Silk Lightweight Balaclava is naturally incredibly soft, warm, breathable and extremely lightweight. A perfect solution for cold weather use, the ThermaSilk balaclava will ensure your head stays dry, warm and comfortable in all outdoor adventure activities.
Constructed of ThermaSilk100% pure filament silk interlock.
ThermaSilk is the ideal fabric for next-to the-body comfort.
ClimaSense (CS) treatment is designed to respond to your body's changing conditions to keep you comfortable no matter what your activity level.
The CS system adapts to the skin's surface temperature, providing a warming effect when you are cold and a cooling effect when you are active, with a dynamic moisture transport system.
ClimaSense offers advanced odor control and uses bluesign approved, performance based technologies
Luxurious, soft and breathable.
Warmth without bulk.
Provides excellent moisture management.
Designed to give thermal protection in cold to very cold weather with medium to high activity.
Excellent thermal qualities in a variety of weather conditions.
Compact, effective head coverage.
Fits under a helmet.
Machine washable.
Import.

All this from a worm for 17.95
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Many helmets now have fully removable interiors so it's becoming less of a problem to keep the insides clean.
Shox Bullet flip-helmet £36- ECE/DOT approved - fully removable lining and swappable for other sizes (good for summer or winter (with balaclava) changes)
MT Revenge - £80 fully removable lining
Shark - £150 internal visor fully removable lining