The Honda PCX / Honda Forza / SH Forums

Your predominant source of information for the Honda PCX 125, Honda PCX ESP, Honda PCX 150, and Forza. Now featuring a SH300i / SH150i subforum!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: battery issue
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:15 pm 

Year: 2016
Color: black
Hi, my battery went flat so took it out of the mounting and the garage charged it up, went to put it back and not certain why its not screwing back in - does the battery have nuts which the screw is supposed to go into? If so, I will need to check in with the garage to see if they have them

Post subject: Re: battery issue
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:04 pm 
Prestige
Prestige

Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White
Really sorry to hear that, start looking on the floor and in the luggage box where you first removed your battery. This nut is loose and you wouldn't be the first to let that get away from you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px5sMRr7sbY

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:32 pm 
Prestige
Prestige

HEY... WELCOME!
I didn't notice this was your first post. How did you kill a fairly new battery can I ask.

PCX Whisperers: maddiedog- dem0nk1d- waspmike- dasshreddar- GN- sendler2112- honkerman- DAB- BPT7594- Oyabun- silverantec- chicaboo- ThailandPCX- Dragon_uk- TrumpMAGA- k2apache6.0- pcx power-full- JaeMelo- markgj- Techno

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:10 pm 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

homie wrote:
HEY... WELCOME!
I didn't notice this was your first post. How did you kill a fairly new battery can I ask.

If he's anything like me it'll be from repeatedly forgetting to turn the ignition off after a ride ... I think I did the "walk of shame" about 3 or 4 times until I got it sorted!

Would be really great if Honda would give us a buzzer that comes on after, say, 15 seconds of being on the side stand with the ignition still on.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:58 pm 
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

TheMaverick wrote:
homie wrote:
HEY... WELCOME!

If he's anything like me it'll be from repeatedly forgetting to turn the ignition off after a ride ... I think I did the "walk of shame" about 3 or 4 times until I got it sorted!

Would be really great if Honda would give us a buzzer that comes on after, say, 15 seconds of being on the side stand with the ignition still on.

Get a kickstart conversion :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:27 pm 
Prestige
Prestige

TheMaverick wrote:
homie wrote:
HEY... WELCOME!

Mav I wish you would put your location in your profile because I can't remember but you are coming across as UK :D Also if the new guy could do the same and let us know where he bought his bike I suspect you both have PCX's with idle stop or some other geographical specific feature that can allow the battery to drain off by key position. This is not the case for US models. I can't leave the ignition in a draining position unless its with the lights on. All other positions do not vampire any electricity.

Are you leaving the lights on when you park and walk away? The ON position? That would do it :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:38 am 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

homie wrote:
Mav I wish you would put your location in your profile because I can't remember but you are coming across as UK :D

My apologies - I wasn't aware that I hadn't done that. I'm from New Zealand, but I do have a UK passport too, if that helps :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:50 am 
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Year: 2015 125
Color: White
The UK LED '14 PCX with the key in the 'ready to start up by button press' position has the lights on so hard not to notice with headlights on and dash lit up - I gather in some models the battery is draining with the key turned just once (open fuel/seat)? I thought that happened only when people fit aftermarket alarms or such/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:14 am 
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

TheMaverick wrote:
homie wrote:
Mav I wish you would put your location in your profile because I can't remember but you are coming across as UK :D

My apologies - I wasn't aware that I hadn't done that. I'm from New Zealand, but I do have a UK passport too, if that helps :)

It does.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:21 pm 
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*
iceman wrote:
I gather in some models the battery is draining with the key turned just once (open fuel/seat)? I thought that happened only when people fit aftermarket alarms or such/

Ya think? Does it suck juice? I'm thinking that could happen :roll: No, wait! I did not kill the battery, BUT...I've walked away for 10 mins or so totally forgetting the key was inserted in the Fuel/Seat position. So Easy to do. Yer sorting things under seat, finish and walk away. Minutes later, o_O Back to the scoot > get yer key. Dang! I gotta stop that

To enter your location and other: Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of this page). Upon arrival, click Profile in left column. See the questions? Please Complete. Tis Simple. We Thank You Much (o;

"Miles From Nowhere, I Guess I'll Take My Time...Ohh yeah" Cat Stevens

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:26 pm 
Prestige
Prestige

I have left my key in the fuel cap/luggage box position for days at a time. This won't kill the battery on a 2015 PCX. It was in this position just now when I went to check because of this post :D

PCX Whisperers: maddiedog- dem0nk1d- waspmike- dasshreddar- GN- sendler2112- honkerman- DAB- BPT7594- Oyabun- silverantec- chicaboo- ThailandPCX- Dragon_uk- TrumpMAGA- k2apache6.0- pcx power-full- JaeMelo- markgj- Techno

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:39 pm 
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Year: 2013
Color: red PCX
No but the 2013 and earlier version will drain your battery pretty quick if you leave the key in the on position...and the headlight does not come until the bike is started, but the tail light does.

Givi tall windshield and tailbox on both
Lots and lots of extra lights
Custom seats from Thailand
Bad boy Airhorn on each
Takegawa Lowering Shocks on both

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:45 pm 

yes im from the uk the forza i bought last September. It has been left out for a couple of weeks and not used and was completely flat when i went to start it. Likewise I think it is strange and likely to be a fault either with the battery or some other component.
the key wasnt in either so that wasnt an issue too ;)
I will check in the compartment for the nuts tomorrow failing that back to the garage as they may have them or can give me some replacements.

Once I get it running I will see if it flattens again and if so I will get them to replace it FOC as it should be under warranty
Thanks for your advice guys much appreciated

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:51 pm 

you you wrote:
TheMaverick wrote:
homie wrote:
HEY... WELCOME!

Get a kickstart conversion :D

I wish I knew but I think there is either a fault with the battery or some other electrical component, once I get the battery fixed up again I will see if it holds its charge
I had a couple of occasions when I left the key in but thankfully didn't get the bike stolen :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:07 pm 
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

The unique thing about that nut is that it is square. Most of the nuts that size are octagonal. However, if you do not find it you can use any nut and bolt to hold it until you can get another one.

Bad boy Airhorn on each

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:53 pm 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Thought of the day - might pay to check to see if the battery is charging when the motor is running. Does the voltage go up quickly at first and then slowly after that?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:46 pm 
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Year: SV650AL7
Color: The correct one
You can get spare battery nuts from eBay.

Good tip: after unscrewing the bolts to take the connectors off, with the wires out the way screw the bolts back in before lifting the battery out.
That way the nuts can't escape.
Similarly place the battery back in the bike with the bolts in place then undo them to connect up.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:02 pm 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Color: blk
What I do is stick some dum dum in with the nut and it holds it in place and never will disappear. What is Dum dum..its any gummy material like stick em , picture hanging putty ..anything like that will work.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:53 pm 
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Attachment:
Loctite_Fun-tak.jpg
Loctite_Fun-tak.jpg [ 179.84 KiB | Viewed 264 times ]

This stuff holds quite well, just like dum-dum. You can find it almost anywhere now. Use a knife to cut off one of the squares. Then cut that into 4s. Use two on each of the terminals, one on each side...or you can try to squeeze some under the nut. It won't come loose again. It is like a putty.

Bad boy Airhorn on each

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:28 pm 
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

easyrider wrote:
What I do is stick some dum dum in with the nut and it holds it in place and never will disappear. What is Dum dum..its any gummy material like stick em , picture hanging putty ..anything like that will work.

That's not a bad idea at all.