How to Reset the Coolant Cover Retaining Pin

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

How to Reset the Coolant Cover Retaining Pin

Post by GeorgeSK »

I'm not sure this is worthy as a real how-to, but if it saves someone the fifteen or so minutes it took me, it will be worth it.

You figured out to push the center of the pin in and got the cover off. You have topped up the coolant (or not) and it is time to go back together. This pin looks like this:
PA240007.jpg
PA240007.jpg (76.7 KiB) Viewed 1478 times
To "re-arm" the retaining pin, you need to push the wings back in. To do this, spread the wings apart a bit more, maybe a mm or so, while pushing the wings back into the body of the pin. You need to hold the head of the pin 90 degrees to the wings, or you will be pushing on what you are holding.
pin spread.jpg
pin spread.jpg (48.31 KiB) Viewed 1478 times
Once the wings go in, you can push them so that the center button of the head is proud of the head. You can now inset the pin and push the center flush, and all is well.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: How to Reset the Coolant Cover Retaining Pin

Post by Mel46 »

It took me a little while before I figured out how to reinsert the retaining pin, mostly because it is a little different from the one used on the battery compartment door. When I had my Burgman it had the battery compartment type, so this other type of retaining pin didn't work the same way. Hopefully this How-to will help those new to this type.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: How to Reset the Coolant Cover Retaining Pin

Post by WhiteNoise »

Oh those pesty pesty pins! I'd rather have stainless steel screws. But then we'd gain weight, and we won't have that! :lol:

Thank you George, many members will appreciate your know how (me too ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You