How-To: Top off coolant on 2015 PCX 150

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

How-To: Top off coolant on 2015 PCX 150

Post by Jge64 »

I have to do this without pictures because Photobucket no longer will allow you to post from their site without huge $...What a crock. Researching where to go.

So I looked here and doesn't seem like there is a quick how-to on this, so here goes:

First let me say I have 3000 miles on the bike, have owned it for 27 months and have never checked the coolant level, I've just used the sightglass , but lately, it's starting to look a little low. It's pretty hard to see the level without a flashlight. It was just slightly below the lower Mark.

So the first thing to do is take off the right side foot plate, it's seven or eight bolts, as I remember. Three of them being Allen heads.

Then pop the little access plate with a screwdriver and the cap on the expansion tank and look down in there, in the sun it's easy to see the level. Then start the bike, and fill up expansion tank with Honda Pro Coolant (it's already mixed, don't add water) there is a overflow hose at the top, so don't worry, fill up into the tank neck area.

Let it idle 2-3 minutes, and blip the throttle (lightly) a few times and watch the level. If it goes down some, that's because the air is bleeding out of the system, turn it off and refill it all the way up into the neck area and when it's stable, cap it.

Put back the foot plate and you're done. BTW, this is exactly how they tell you to do it in the shop manual in section 9.

Tools needed: Phillips head screwdriver and Allen wrench.

Good for another couple years.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Topping off coolant on the 2015 PCX 150

Post by homie »

All that about removing eight bolts to top off coolant is incorrect. Jge64 you must have installed aftermarket running boards you've bolted over your access cover. All you need to gain access to the coolant cap on a stock PCX is lift the rubber from the rear of the right side board a couple snaps. You will see a 2"x1" cover that requires a flat tip screw driver to pop open exposing a round rubber fill cap... done.

To to check your coolant level you shine a light from up under the bike looking through the triangular port Honda left in the lower right side panel for 2015 and later models. You will see a high mark and a low by which your coolant should range. And yes coolant will be low within 5000 miles on a new PCX so keep an eye on it even if you take it to the gorillas because we have all seen how good they are at taking money and not giving a crap about actually servicing it.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

You are correct, i forgot about my cf metal boards, if you have moderator capability to change it please do. I had to look down through the filler neck to see the actual precise level, no matter how much I look from the side through the site glass or from the back with a flashlight. It was just easier.
Glen
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

It's okay "as is" Glen, :) We're Still Learning. None of Us Know it All.
Besides, if I change your post, then homie's won't make sense. Did I just make sense?
Anyway, it's all good.
Thanks to the Both of You, We now Know how to seek n find, check n fill (top-off) if necessary, our coolant.

If other model years are set up differently, please be kind enough to step forward and tell us How You check the coolant on your bike.
Ya'll Have a Kewl Day 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

Thanks.....btw, after 2 years in the Florida weather, mine took about 6 oz to fill.....
Glen