The Honda PCX / Honda Forza Forums

Your predominant source of information for the Honda PCX 125, Honda PCX ESP, Honda PCX 150, and Forza 300. Now featuring a Forza 125 subforum!
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Dead battery
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:22 pm 
Offline
Regular User
Regular User

Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:49 am
Posts: 130
Location: Swindon UK
Year: 2012
Color: Silver
Today's morning my battery died on pcx. As I have my car in the garage for MOT I have had to buy new battery from the shop not from eBay or some place on interweb to get bike ready for tomorrow. Was quoted eye watering £80 for yuasa but bought li ion instead for £69. Weights 0.6 kg instead of 2.1kg like stock one. That's gonna be boost in performance due to weight saving :).ImageImage
Battery is smaller than stock and comes with family spacers.


Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk


Last edited by lolofigo on Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dead battery
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:24 pm 
Offline
Regular User
Regular User

Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:49 am
Posts: 130
Location: Swindon UK
Year: 2012
Color: Silver
lolofigo wrote:
Today's morning my battery died on pcx. As I have my car in the garage for MOT I have to buy new battery from the shop not from eBay or some place on interweb. Was quoted £80 for yuasa but bought li ion instead for £69. Weights 0.6 kg instead of 2.1kg like stock one. That's gonna be boost in performance due to weight saving :).ImageImage
Battery is smaller than stock and comes with family spacers.


Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Foam spacers. Stupid thing.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dead battery
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:03 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:49 pm
Posts: 5492
Location: Chicagoland
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White
Great information!

_________________
PCX Whisperers: maddiedog- dem0nk1d- waspmike- dasshreddar- GN- sendler2112- honkerman- DAB- BPT7594- Oyabun- silverantec- chicaboo- ThailandPCX- Dragon_uk- k2apache6.0- pcx power-full- JaeMelo- markgj- Techno


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dead battery
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:31 pm 
Offline
What's a wot?
What's a wot?
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:37 pm
Posts: 7673
Location: The centre of the universe
1.5kg must be worth another 20mph.

_________________
I'm actually a nice guy and can behave :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dead battery
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:20 am 
Offline
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:13 pm
Posts: 3720
Location: Marietta, Ga USA
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX
Interesting! Let us know how it performs. I thought about getting one of those but when I looked them up the price was higher than the normal replacement battery. I am curious as to how well they perform and how long they last.

_________________
Currently own:
Two Red 2013 Honda PCX150s

Givi tall windshield and tailbox on both
Lots and lots of extra lights
Custom seats from Thailand
Bad boy Airhorn on each
Takegawa Lowering Shocks on both


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dead battery
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:46 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:23 pm
Posts: 757
Location: Long Island , NY, Tampa, Ft laud
Year: 2013
Color: blk
The problem with Lithium, there is usually no warning or slowing down. When they go dead they drop dead. Not sure how they are to jump start. Maybe some others will chime in that have one..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dead battery
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:10 pm 
Offline
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:45 am
Posts: 469
Location: Brisbane, Qld. Australia
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red
I've been running a lithium battery since November 2014 with absolutely no problems, it first starts every time. When I'm not using the scoot for a few days I put it on the charger. The original Yuasa stays on trickle as a backup, but I've never had to use it. The light weight and smaller size make it really easy to remove if necessary. The only negative is the purchase price. If you have the cash it's a good investment.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dead battery
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:25 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:49 pm
Posts: 5492
Location: Chicagoland
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White
easyrider wrote:
The problem with Lithium, there is usually no warning or slowing down. When they go dead they drop dead. Not sure how they are to jump start. Maybe some others will chime in that have one..
L-ions don't like humidity, condensation or any kind of moisture. I'm sure it's sealed but it must have breather ports on it somewhere to combat condensation, don't get water in those ports.

_________________
PCX Whisperers: maddiedog- dem0nk1d- waspmike- dasshreddar- GN- sendler2112- honkerman- DAB- BPT7594- Oyabun- silverantec- chicaboo- ThailandPCX- Dragon_uk- k2apache6.0- pcx power-full- JaeMelo- markgj- Techno


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dead battery
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:43 pm 
Offline
What's a wot?
What's a wot?
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:37 pm
Posts: 7673
Location: The centre of the universe
I want a di-lithium one :D

_________________
I'm actually a nice guy and can behave :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dead battery
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:44 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:23 pm
Posts: 757
Location: Long Island , NY, Tampa, Ft laud
Year: 2013
Color: blk
I don't think you can use a regular (lead acid ) trickle charger on a lithium ion battery.I don't think the smart function works on them and you run the risk of cooking it. Not sure how it works however????


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dead battery
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:40 pm 
Offline
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:45 am
Posts: 469
Location: Brisbane, Qld. Australia
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red
I use the Techmate Optimate 2 charger. Recommended for most types of 12v batteries

https://www.revzilla.com › Street Gear › Accessories › Battery Chargers

I make a point of not submerging the battery in water. If that happens, I'm in way beyond my depth. :D :D :D

We do have a high humidity environment in Queensland in summer, but it doesn't appear to have any detrimental effects on my battery.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dead battery
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:57 am 
Offline
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:23 pm
Posts: 757
Location: Long Island , NY, Tampa, Ft laud
Year: 2013
Color: blk
JohnL wrote:
I use the Techmate Optimate 2 charger. Recommended for most types of 12v batteries

https://www.revzilla.com › Street Gear › Accessories › Battery Chargers

I make a point of not submerging the battery in water. If that happens, I'm in way beyond my depth. :D :D :D

We do have a high humidity environment in Queensland in summer, but it doesn't appear to have any detrimental effects on my battery.


Hey there John.. you should be advised that the battery charger you are using is not really suitable for your battery and I would caution using it because it may ruin it over time. You should check with their website as what they recommend for Lithium is a different model.. FYI take a look.. Hope this info helps .

https://tecmate.com/products/optimatelith0-8/

https://tecmate.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... 151022.pdf


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dead battery
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:18 pm 
Offline
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:45 am
Posts: 469
Location: Brisbane, Qld. Australia
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red
easyrider wrote:
JohnL wrote:
I use the Techmate Optimate 2 charger. Recommended for most types of 12v batteries

https://www.revzilla.com › Street Gear › Accessories › Battery Chargers

I make a point of not submerging the battery in water. If that happens, I'm in way beyond my depth. :D :D :D

We do have a high humidity environment in Queensland in summer, but it doesn't appear to have any detrimental effects on my battery.


Hey there John.. you should be advised that the battery charger you are using is not really suitable for your battery and I would caution using it because it may ruin it over time. You should check with their website as what they recommend for Lithium is a different model.. FYI take a look.. Hope this info helps .

https://tecmate.com/products/optimatelith0-8/

https://tecmate.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... 151022.pdf


Thanks for the advice easy. I believe there are different types of lithium battery and the Techmate was specifically recommended by the battery supplier. As it's coming up three years since I bought the battery and charger, I'll probably take my chances. This is mostly influenced by financial considerations and also my desire to live life on the edge :lol: :lol: :lol:

I do appreciate your advice.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Like what you see here? Buy the admin a beer! Donate at the link below:

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!