How-To: Make "Backup" Seat Release (Auxiliary Seat Latch Release)

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

How-To: Make "Backup" Seat Release (Auxiliary Seat Latch Release)

Post by homie »

Decided I'm not going to be the guy who can't get the seat open without a key. Unfortunately you need to have a reason to remove the tail section to do the Mod :lol:

kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Re: Seat release back up ... Auxiliary Seat Latch Release

Post by kramnala58 »

That sofa in the garage lends me to think that the Mrs must insist that you sleep on the sofa often. ;) :lol: :lol:
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Absolutely brilliant! :ugeek:

First time I adjust the valves I'm going to add that mod to the list. 8)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

It's worth shortening the loop on your beaded chain from your window shade right :) she will never notice, and if she does I have a couch in the garage.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

homie wrote:...... she will never notice, and if she does I have a couch in the garage.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Fabulous, Homie. I would have said brilliant, but PCX150 beat me to it.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

I may never lock my key under the seat but surely the battery will fail someday? How do we get to the battery which is under the seat if there is no power to operate the latch? Help me out with that... Honda
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

You using up your old stock?
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

you you wrote:You using up your old stock?
Overstocked, but commonly found about the verse ;) If you see some snatch it up for the day you take the tail off. Even steel bead chain will do the job if you can find it.
Attachments
unnamed (1).jpg
unnamed (1).jpg (108.45 KiB) Viewed 10075 times
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (63.17 KiB) Viewed 10075 times
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

A couple of ideas slogged their way through my brain (somehow). One is that I have an old "new" brake cable from a bicycle I never used and may try to see if I can re-purpose that . . . although I may have a better chance of winning the lottery. :lol:

The other idea is that I may take a sturdy straw, modified section of a ball point pen, or short metal tube to run the ball chain/cable/line through to reduce the risk of sawing action through the Gorilla Tape. I would apply the tape around the tube to secure it to the frame. In essence it would sort of act like a "hawsepipe" for an anchor chain. May have to flair the ends into a bell shape. . .like the bell on a trumpet. . .to reduce the risk of a snag. . .or maybe it won't be an issue. . .especially if I'm able to re-purpose the bike cable. If I use a ball chain then will add a handle. Something like this. :geek:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Westinghouse ... /204832065

Just grabbing at straws . . . no pun intended. :lol:
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Yep much room for improvement but there won't be any wear as you will not pull it until you need to, the electric actuator from the console is not affected in any way. I can send you the two foot section of plastic beaded chain in an envelope, just PM your address no problem. Fair warning... the tail section of a 15/16/17 PCX is a tricky extraction, you will need the SM for sure.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

homie, homie, homie!! I "knew" you'd be up to this! "Sure as I'm Sitting Here!"
FAB-Bu-Los-So!! Where's a Clapping emoticon (smiley) when you need one? Da-ham sir! Hands facing hands and me hat be tipping 8)

I thought about solving this (future) problem, probably at the same time you did. Yeah, you knew that moment, it came quickly. I felt it too.
So I'd lay on my back picturing it's travel path. Then the damn ibuprophen kicked in. I fell off to sleep at the seat latch. :lol: :x
Bet the hardest part of this "it should be Honda Bin Pull" mod is getting the plastics off intact. You're a pro at that, you've gained mucho experience popping the holds that bind them, and without a break.
That alone is worth applauding.

PCX'er's need this genius seat latch opener. You must name this. Example: "homie's seat release."
We shall then call it, as you do. With respect ;)

WN is calling. Sayin'... get with This!

P.S. I see lotsa room in that there garage. You're lucky I don't live around the corner, cuzz holy smoker's I'd be rollin' over jist abt now! :lol:
Yes'sum, I gots a s _ _ _load of metal beading. (Think fan pulls ya tooler's)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Yes, good mod.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Thanks WN, for search purposes best not change the header. Sticky post would be cool :) If people think about it in time to take advantage of the issue when tail section is off that would be a no brainer. Tail section is removed for valve clearance check, rear shock replacement but not during the 5k inspection unless you choose to look at the fuel line... I did not.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Yep much room for improvement but there won't be any wear as you will not pull it until you need to, the electric actuator from the console is not affected in any way. I can send you the two foot section of plastic beaded chain in an envelope, just PM your address no problem. Fair warning... the tail section of a 15/16/17 PCX is a tricky extraction, you will need the SM for sure.
Thanks for offering to send over some beaded chain. I'm good to go right now. My Dad was an engineer who was always futzing with stuff around the house and I've got more tidbits of this and that and that and this than I know what to do with. I grabbed this handful of stuff without evening digging. . ..
100_4388a.jpg
100_4388a.jpg (256.7 KiB) Viewed 10049 times
But when I get my PCX in a week or so I'll have a much better idea what kind of challenge I'm in for. :o

Shiver me timbers about removing the plastics without a crack or overlooking a geezzzussss clip somewhere. The SM has been paid for already and ordered. It will either be delivered with the scoot or I'll get it the day I go back to sign for the registration plate. Which reminds me I've got to get a set of those body panel removal tools and order the new electric impact driver/wrench. I've got time though. o_O

I'm planning on using my IPad to watch the step by step instructions in your videos when I do the scheduled maintenance. :geek:
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

No worries, Not changing this threads title homie. No need to. It stays.
As far as a sticky? maddiedog is in control of that. I'll run it by the mods 1st and see what happen's from there.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

PCX150Rider wrote:"hawsepipe"
Errr, what? I didn't learn this word in Murica school back in 82. :|
How do you even say it??? Horse pipe, House pipe, Whore's pipe? :?
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Homie - So here are some materials I already had on-hand that I think will work to create a similar emergency seat latch release. Actually I think that's what you should call the invention. . . "Emergency Seat Latch Release". :ugeek:
100_4392a.jpg
100_4392a.jpg (279.68 KiB) Viewed 10028 times
Notice the tubing. . .I think I've got more buried somewhere but may use these two pieces strategically in the places it seems the connection meets the most resistance on the frame. The G-Tape should do nicely to secure it in place.

It doesn't appear from the video that it takes much effort to activate the seat latch release mechanism. It's a bit difficult to see the attachment method you used on the latch lever itself but it appears that there must be some kind of slot that the ball fits into? :?

I'm not sure what the distance is from the latch to the access area under the side panel (you mentioned a 2 ft. length of ball chain to cut from?) but I think what's shown in my pic here would be adequate. I may be able to use the lamp cord only. . .or the line included for the Traverse Cord Kit in the other post. It's the attachment method on the latch assembly itself that I'm not certain of. Any way you can describe it? I've got crimp connectors and other assorted stuff to Rube Goldberg or MacGuyver the thing. 8)
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Errr, what? I didn't learn this word in Murica school back in 82. :|
The way I've heard it said sounds like hawwwzzzzpipe. But now that you mention it. . .it could be some nice lady's prize possession to enjoy some cherry blend. :D

Let's hear what the experts have to say shall we? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMTuFcZAvIM :geek:
220px-Brosen_bow_ship.jpg
220px-Brosen_bow_ship.jpg (19.97 KiB) Viewed 10026 times
It's all about how one pronounces the "e". :lol:
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

PCX150Rider wrote:Let's hear what the experts have to say shall we? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMTuFcZAvIM :geek:
Oh no, Mexican robots trying to teach me how to pronounce vague American words. :?
I'm still torn between "Horse pipe" and "Whore's pipe". And what do either of them need with a pipe anyway? :lol: