wider tyres pcx 125 63plate

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

rst123
Year: 2013
Color: white

wider tyres pcx 125 63plate

Post by rst123 »

Hi i am new to the group and just bought a project bike. Just wondering if anyone has fitted wider tyres to a 2013 pcx125 if so what have you fitted cheers
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Re: wider tyres pcx 125 63plate

Post by k2apache6.0 »

There aren't a lot of options in the 14" range. 140/70/14 is as large as you can go, and spacers are required for the airbox and rear hugger (fender) there's a video here on the forum
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

here is the biggest you can get with the least amount of effort to fit them. The front requires no mod but see the video for the rear fit up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7Rh1nmcdAo
Attachments
tire2.JPG
tire2.JPG (269.34 KiB) Viewed 1746 times
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

I wonder if the older OWL model has a bit more space around the rear wheel?
Demonkid doesn't mention having to space out the rear hugger or airbox:
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 5&start=20
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

chicaboo wrote:I wonder if the older OWL model has a bit more space around the rear wheel?
Demonkid doesn't mention having to space out the rear hugger or airbox:
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 5&start=20
I believe you are correct his bike is pre 2015 when a lot of stuff changed. If I could have done it without raising the rear fender I would have. Demon is also correct that the ride changes for the better and the speedometer shows 2 mph less than actual according to GPS. The bikes look healthier and more well rounded but Honda was not going for looks as much as they needed competitive mph to please customers in countries with outrageous fuel prices. You will go faster and have better mph on stock size tires.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

When you say faster, do you mean acceleration? Is the change in acceleration noticeable?
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

chicaboo wrote:When you say faster, do you mean acceleration? Is the change in acceleration noticeable?
Yes acceleration and top speed is what that kit was tooled out to do for the little Honda. You might say... well doesn't a candle burning twice a bright burn half as long... NO not in this case.
You will sell or trade the little Honda or install another kit someday anyway. Parts are cost effective and worth the extra zip, plus this mod dosent take a genus to do yourself. You will blast off with the mod on a set of stock tires and never put the old vario back.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Ummm, kit? Vario? I thought we were just discussing big fat thicke juicy tyres?
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

chicaboo wrote:Ummm, kit? Vario? I thought we were just discussing big fat thicke juicy tyres?
yes sorry, you or someone else was dragging me from thread to thread and it was 2am... a troll gets confused :lol:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The fatter tyres will increase fuel consumption, adversely affect the ability to change direction quickly, reduce acceleration, reduce top speed and look ridiculous.
Can't see what's holding people back from fitting them :lol:
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

gn2 wrote:The fatter tyres will increase fuel consumption, adversely affect the ability to change direction quickly, reduce acceleration, reduce top speed and look ridiculous.
Have you changed out your 120 and 140 wide tyres for 90 and 100 wide?
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

gn2 wrote:The fatter tyres will increase fuel consumption, adversely affect the ability to change direction quickly, reduce acceleration, reduce top speed and look ridiculous.
"Looks Ridiculous"?
That's going a bit far, other scooter's use these larger tyre sizes as do some motorbikes with similar engine sizes, what looks 'ridiculous' about it? It 'looks' better..I'm going to do the mod, I'll report back on the other stuff when it's done and I've had time to check on it, though there may be some merit in those observations
My PCX mod build here..
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

having changed the rear tire on my PCX, I know how much of a pain it is to get the stock size fitted. I can't imagine trying to get something bigger on that dinky little rim. I'm also not sure I'd personally want to run an oversized tire for safety reasons, not without a wider rim to properly fit it on. See, your wheel is designed to take a certain tire width, putting a wider tire on a wheel that is too small will cause the sidewalls to turn inward, which is not how they are intended to sit. This can cause premature wear and stress to the sidewalls that they were not designed to withstand. The results, over time, well, it won't be a good thing that's certain. Appearance mods are one thing, putting stronger brakes on is yet another (within reason), but messing with the tires can get dangerous, even if you think you know what you're doing.

Kinda like the idiots who "stance" their cars. They think it looks cool (though it looks moronic), but they've decreased the safety of their vehicle just to get a look that says "hey look, I did meth!"
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

I dont fit my own tires, I go to the mc tire shop who have a proper machine for it. As to your other points I'm aware of everything you state, it aint my 1st rodeo.
As for the mod, there's a good few who have done this already, and all have said it's been an improvement without reservation. I'm not about to second guess Honda, they know what they are doing, but the scoot was designed with practicality and economy as the predominating factor after all. Once I've done the mod I'll report back with honest and objective findings and a long term wrap up ...If I live that long apparently :snicker:
My PCX mod build here..
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

GN IS right (as usual) I would only beg to differ on looks, but have come to realize without confrontation over the years his logic is impeccable. And trust me... I'd peck it if I could :)
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

homie wrote:GN is right as usual... I would beg to differ on looks, but have come to realize without confrontation over the years his logic is impeccable. And trust me i would peck it if I could :)
I don't doubt it lol, I agreed with a post of his just yeasterday. But if the World was based exclusively on 'Logic' we'd have a life full of dull Mr Spocks devoid of passion, creativity, or artistry ...a very dull place
My PCX mod build here..
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

k2apache6.0 wrote:
homie wrote:GN is right as usual... I would beg to differ on looks, but have come to realize without confrontation over the years his logic is impeccable. And trust me i would peck it if I could :)
I don't doubt it lol, I agreed with a post of his just yeasterday. But if the World was based exclusively on 'Logic' we'd have a life full of dull Mr Spocks devoid of passion, creativity, or artistry ...a very dull place
since the both of you are here I have to ask... what the hell is that avitar? GN's has mystified me so long I almost don't want to know as a matter of nostalgia. And yours looks like something in a eye doctors office.
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

GN2's if I'm not mistaken is from the cover of Pink Floyd's album 'meddle'
Mine is of the RAF's advanced fighter pilots helmet for the JSF F-35 program.
My PCX mod build here..
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

k2apache6.0 wrote:I dont fit my own tires, I go to the mc tire shop who have a proper machine for it. As to your other points I'm aware of everything you state, it aint my 1st rodeo.
As for the mod, there's a good few who have done this already, and all have said it's been an improvement without reservation. I'm not about to second guess Honda, they know what they are doing, but the scoot was designed with practicality and economy as the predominating factor after all. Once I've done the mod I'll report back with honest and objective findings and a long term wrap up ...If I live that long apparently :snicker:
I was more directing my statement at the OP. I'm familiar with your exploits that you've posted on this forum and figured you had a rough idea what you were getting into.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

k2apache6.0 wrote:GN2's if I'm not mistaken is from the cover of Pink Floyd's album 'meddle'
Mine is of the RAF's advanced fighter pilots helmet for the JSF F-35 program.

Is it advanced enough to recognise a hospital yet?