Easy Access for Valve Adjustment.

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Drifter
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 13
Color: red

Easy Access for Valve Adjustment.

Post by Drifter »

While doing my side stand switch mod i noticed a couple easier ways to get to the valve cover, the spark plug cover is easy!!! Remover the rubber foot pad remove one screw for the cover and there you go. I tried getting to all 4 screws with a small 1/4 inch drive ratchet with success i did not remove the valve cover but i could have removed the screws!

The second way which provides more room is to remove the bottom painted panel the one the side stand goes through, then look at the front of the scoot there is a support brace, round tubing with 2 bolts holding it on....remove them and the brace... slide the black kick panel forward it should come off alot more space available. There is one screw at the back holding it on.

Either option is way easier than removing all the panels and coming in from the top! 500 more miles and i will try this method .
Attachments
20141225_141351.jpg
20141225_141351.jpg (62.37 KiB) Viewed 2592 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Easy Access for Valve Adjustment.

Post by homie »

................... um
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

Drifter wrote:While doing my side stand switch mod i noticed a couple easier ways to get to the valve cover, the spark plug cover is easy!!! Remover the rubber foot pad remove one screw for the cover and there you go. I tried getting to all 4 screws with a small 1/4 inch drive ratchet with success i did not remove the valve cover but i could have removed the screws!

The second way which provides more room is to remove the bottom painted panel the one the side stand goes through, then look at the front of the scoot there is a support brace, round tubing with 2 bolts holding it on....remove them and the brace... slide the black kick panel forward it should come off alot more space available. There is one screw at the back holding it on.

Either option is way easier than removing all the panels and coming in from the top! 500 more miles and i will try this method .
To adjust the valves like this, you need to be a good gynaecologist. :lol:
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
Drifter
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Drifter »

I got my hand and ratchet in there with just the small panel removed and the red bottom panel using a flash light to see, it was not that hard to do. Take off the black kick panel and you could put both arms in there! ;)
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

Drifter wrote: To adjust the valves like this, you need to be a good gynaecologist. :lol:
That is too funny! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Drifter wrote:I got my hand and ratchet in there with just the small panel removed and the red bottom panel using a flash light to see, it was not that hard to do. Take off the black kick panel and you could put both arms in there! ;)
A bit cramped for safety reasons and not good to put the cover back on esp. with sealant.
Drifter
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Drifter »

What safety reasons, anything you do on this scoot or car etc. is cramped normal fact of life one reason they charge so much to work on stuff!

Its always good to put the valve cover back on!!!!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Although I have the 2015 PCX and the UK shop manual is in two parts, the 2013 original shop manual suggests it's not as difficult to get to the valves as often is thought - not sure if it's right though :)
It says the order needed is (page 3-6): side cover, radiator cover, cylinder head cover, three bolts, left crankcase cover duct (and adjust with engine cold!).
frog13
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: white

Post by frog13 »

Drifter , have you achieved the 500 additional miles yet and tried the method you suggested ?. If so , tell us your experience .
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

I own a Forza and a Kymco LIKE200i.
You folks own a great little scooter - that is hellishly hard to do a valve lash check on.
So hard that you have written pages on how to get at the valves - and even more pages on why you don't ever need to get at the valves for a check or adjustment!

What is the deal with both of our scooters from Honda?
Why has Honda made it so hard to get at the cylinder head and valve cover?
It cannot be that hard to design a scooter with simple to remove body panels - which lead directly to the valve cover and spark plugs?! (OK - Vespa can't figure it out - you have to drop the engine to get at 'em on those scoots)

IS it that Honda feels the valves really never need checking because they never go out of adjustment?
Too many owners have proven otherwise...when they were checked.

My Kymco has one panel over the battery (3 screws - looking you in the face) and 2 more screws (same,same) holding on one more panel - and then you are looking at the valve cover & its 4 easily reached bolts and the spark plug. In the time it takes your buddy to smoke a Winston - you can be in to your valves with a feeler blade.
You pop off a plastic plug and you're looking at your timing mark, spun with a socket. Nothing else needs to be unbolted or unfastened after those 5 sheetmetal screws, one plastic plug and 4 - 10mm bolts.

My question remains - why did Honda make valve adjustments so hard on the PCX & the Forza? It can't be for added service fees to the dealer - heck, they won't, don't or fake doing the valve checks.

The LIKE200i : battery cover in the floor and one body panel = this: Image

Also, why does the rubber valve cover gasket cost over 300% of the metal valve cover?
Crazy
Fish
frog13
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: white

Post by frog13 »

Great questions Fish . But Honda will never say why , and the rest is speculation . I do believe extra fee's is the real answer however , if they really check them , fake it or whatnot . Shame on Honda . Before buying the PCX , I read various threads and posts on other forums discussing the ease of valve adjustments on much older scooters , by various manufacturers . Tis a mystery I suppose ( $).
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

It's the fact Honda specific a valve 'check' every service that annoys me, esp. when dealers do not do this and charge a lot for oil and filter - £970/2yr's when VAT is added on to their specified charges, which range from £80-230 + VAT along the way. It seems Honda put this is to cover themselves, and will then blame the dealer/owner for damage if the valves were not checked.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

When I had my Burgman 400, we put both it and our PCX in the shop at the same time. My Burgman was done and out of the shop in 30 minutes. The PCX did not come out of the shop for another hour. Obviously the scooter manufacturers can make it easy to access the valves if they think about it as they are designing it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

The tupperware removal is just to keep the techs occupied while the engine cools down. :D
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

fish wrote:Vespa can't figure it out - you have to drop the engine to get at 'em on those scoots
Not so, the engine remains in place on the pivot and its really easy to get at the valves.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Easy smeezy. Watch Robot with his lifts and a couple dozen tools.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LShiXIH ... detailpage

Fish
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

That's the hard way, "Method B" is the easy way: http://modernvespa.com/forum/wiki-valve-lash-gt
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

Don't look easy to me.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Steph wrote:Don't look easy to me.
Compared to getting at PCX valve adjusters, Method B is unbelievably easy and quick.
ScottDR
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Black

Post by ScottDR »

Hey drifter. Did you try your method as of yet?
ImageImageImage
2013 Black PCX 150
Mods/accessories:
Honda tall windshield, Honda top box, NCY variator and face with 13gram rollers, LED headlamps & taillight with, Backoff indicator
Kawell rectangular lights-fork, mounted
Cheeky Seats seat cover (de-humped), YSS PDC and front spring upgrade 15W fork fluid, YSS rear spring/damper upgrade-preload adjustable only, lots of reflective tape and other accessories

Previously owned:
1969 Honda K50 mini trail (first bike, still runs great and in the family)
1975 Honda CB125
1978 Yamaha DT400 (bored 2 stroke insanity)
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 250r