How-to: brake fluid replacement

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

How-to: brake fluid replacement

Post by honkerman »

If your brake fluid is a dark color, the front brake lever feels mushy, or you've not changed the fluid in a couple of years, you should do so. It's pretty easy. The video at the following link is only for the primary master cylinder and does not address the combined braking system. You will need some plastic tubing, a receptacle for the old fluid (or a brake bleed kit from an auto parts store), a Philips head screwdriver, an 8mm combination wrench, some DOT3 or DOT4 brake fluid, and some cloths. I recommend DOT4 fluid if you do a lot of hills and stop and start. It has a higher boiling point and may last a bit longer.

I hope this helps.

http://scootinfool.blogspot.com/2016/04 ... g-bad.html

Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: How to: brake fluid replacement

Post by gn2 »

Just because the fluid is dark in colour is no reason to change it.
Change should only be done at two yearly intervals.
Only use Dot4 and don't get any on the plastics.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

gn2 wrote:Just because the fluid is dark in colour is no reason to change it.
Actually, dark color indicates that the fluid has been cooked. My brakes were feeling mushy because of it. The brake pressure is back where it should be.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

honkerman wrote:
gn2 wrote:Just because the fluid is dark in colour is no reason to change it.
Actually, dark color indicates that the fluid has been cooked. My brakes were feeling mushy because of it. The brake pressure is back where it should be.
Or the color indicates the fluid is perhaps inundated with water and other contaminants. Extreme discoloration is a good Indication that it is time to change the fluid, and will usually take a year or two to occur. In all likelihood, the fluid in my brake reservoir was the original fluid from the factory in 2013, so it was over two years old (which explains the color).
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Robbie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: Grey

Post by Robbie »

As well as the main front system, I also changed the fluid in the combined master cylinder, but I also squeeze the lever to force the fluid through.

For anyone doing it, it's exactly the same process for the combined system, but the plastic cowl needs to come off to top the reservoir up. Oh, and obviously you pump the rear brake lever and use the other bleed nipple on the caliper! :)
pxc-in-japan
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by pxc-in-japan »

For anyone doing it, it's exactly the same process for the combined system, but the plastic cowl needs to come off to top the reservoir up. Oh, and obviously you pump the rear brake lever and use the other bleed nipple on the caliper! :)

Thanks.
I do not have the manual yet, so I do not know the location of the combi master cylinder.
Do you have a pic or a link to one, to show which plastic cowl needs to be removed?
Or a pic of the combi master cylinder and a little of the surrounding area would be good.
Or just a description of where it is and which screws / trim fasteners or pins need to be removed?

Thanks again.
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/pcx150/2015/staninjapan/408151]Image
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

I hate it because it will knock a buzzard off a **** wagon if it get away from you. Eat the paint of any vehicle over night. It's a dam paint stripper substitute if you need any. Wear your safety goggles (oh you have yours on good) have a hose handy but be prepared to re-coat your driveway anyway. One drop on that seat and you are buying a new one ;) Oops too late I saw it run down the back of the reservoir. Better call the city to send out hazmat to pickup the used or maybe kill some grass and weeds with it... forever!
Any one know why brake fluid has to be so dam caustic?
Attachments
wtf.jpg
wtf.jpg (11.3 KiB) Viewed 8169 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

4:07... tell me that's not your lawn mower
Attachments
mac.jpg
mac.jpg (6.61 KiB) Viewed 8167 times
pxc-in-japan
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by pxc-in-japan »

I have found the location of the combi master cylinder.
Do you have a pic or a link to one, to show which plastic cowl / panel needs to be removed for access to it?
Or a pic of the combi master cylinder and a little of the surrounding area would be good.
Or just a description of which screws / trim fasteners or pins need to be removed?

Thanks.
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/pcx150/2015/staninjapan/408151]Image
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

homie wrote:4:07... tell me that's not your lawn mower
Yep...that was my lawnmower. I've got an electric now too, but when the grass is short, I use the manual. The only emissions with that thing are from my heavy breathing. :D
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube