How-To: Change Final Drive Oil

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Re: How-To: Change Final Drive Oil

Post by maddiedog »

Eiron wrote:Since you're not interested in improved engine & transmission protection, I'd suggest not reading my posts regarding that topic in the future. :)
Good info, I actually have no idea about anything involving viscosity retention in oils. You did send me down a rabbit hole that got me reading about oil for a half hour though. ;)

I think it's safe to say that the PCX's use case is very light, and the gears are fairly cheap. Additionally, the gears aren't under strain like in heavy machinery.

If you're concerned at all about the oil degrading, feel free to do it more often, but I'm with 2yous and Sendler here. To keep it simple for people not interested in pushing the limits of durability, stick to the maintenance schedule, use the right weight, and just change it more often if you're worried. ;)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
donderstorm
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by donderstorm »

Hi
Is there any need for a moly additive.
Regards
Kurt
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

It's a recommended anti-corrosion additive for the aluminum cases as much as the steel I believe. Has a noticeable effect on aluminum parts over oils without moly from what I see. Moly comes added to the oil and chemicals you buy from Honda's OEM PRO product line. Keep all your fluids working with your machine as Honda sees fit and you can't go wrong but this is a loaded topic with many, many opinions so I'm out :roll:

Final drive uses 10W-40 motor oil I believe but check that weight to your SM

Kurt, please put your location in your profile as Amazon and other recommendations in this forum may mean nothing to you :D

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039 ... UTF8&psc=1
Attachments
oil.jpg
oil.jpg (206.88 KiB) Viewed 4409 times
donderstorm
Color: red

Post by donderstorm »

Updated Homie

Unfortunately, I tried contacting my local honda dealer and they told me they have to order EP90 (transmission oil) if I'm interested. I then purchased Castrol magnatec 10w 50, as this is probably one of the better oils in South Africa. Non of the oils here actually mention a moly addictive

I also want to thank the author of this forum. Really helped me get my hands dirty and Pcx running
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:It's a recommended anti-corrosion additive for the aluminum cases as much as the steel I believe. Has a noticeable effect on aluminum parts over oils without moly from what I see. Moly comes added to the oil and chemicals you buy from Honda's OEM PRO product line. Keep all your fluids working with your machine as Honda sees fit and you can't go wrong but this is a loaded topic with many, many opinions so I'm out :roll:

Final drive uses 10W-40 motor oil I believe but check that weight to your SM

Kurt, please put your location in your profile as Amazon and other recommendations in this forum may mean nothing to you :D

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039 ... UTF8&psc=1

Bob the oil guy! Come on!
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

you you wrote:
homie wrote: this is a loaded topic with many, many opinions so I'm out :roll:
Bob the oil guy! Come on!
Brent
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015

Post by Brent »

Excellent post Maddiedog! Look for beer money coming your way!
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

donderstorm wrote:I also want to thank the author of this forum. Really helped me get my hands dirty and Pcx running
Glad to help mate! :D
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

Brent wrote:Excellent post Maddiedog! Look for beer money coming your way!
Woo! That's good beer money too. Much appreciated. ;)
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Great post, but keep in mind that mixing gear lube with a motor oil is not a good idea.Stay with the recommended oils and do not use gear oil in this final drive assembly.There are chemistry issues and compatibility issues with the metals used and the seals used in this assembly. OK you have a friend and there was no problems but over time deleterious consequences can be expected.I had a friend of mine once used a gear oil in his outboard engine gear case that was not specified by the manufacturer.. What the hell is was gear oil and that was a gear case ..right ?? . After several months a bushing in the gear case wore out, failed, and the seals failed and it ended up costing him a new gear case ..a very expensive mistake. The service center diagnosis was the wrong gear lube was used. The chemistry did not agree with certain metals in the case. Suit yourselves , but beware there can be serious dangers in mixing and using oils not specified . Check with HONDA on any deviations from their service requirements.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

Not concerned in the least about oil "eating my innards"......I'll continue to do use this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O ... UTF8&psc=1
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Marko

Post by Marko »

Just changed the transmission oil in my 2015 PCX150. Just over two years and 16000Km (10000 miles). The oil I drained looked silver, as though it had lots of metallic particles in it. Is this normal?
I am going to run it for a few days, then change again, to flush out with new oil. I don't think I'll wait two years before changing it again.
Ex.Honda PCX 125, (Red 2012) Now PCX 150 (2015 Grey). Honda VFR V-TEC, Quadzilla (SMC) 300 XLC (quad bike), Yamaha YFM 350 Raptor Quad
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Marko wrote:Just changed the transmission oil in my 2015 PCX150. Just over two years and 16000Km (10000 miles). The oil I drained looked silver, as though it had lots of metallic particles in it. Is this normal?
I am going to run it for a few days, then change again, to flush out with new oil. I don't think I'll wait two years before changing it again.
I changed mine when I serviced it first and there were a lot of metal particles. 1k later and there were non.

So I'd recommend changing as soon as possible. Falls on deaf ears here as it deteriorates into a oil grade/type diminishing argument. The sky might appear to fall at some point too.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

ill use this
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

I'm going to change mine at 1000 miles using the Pro Honda HP4M 10w-30 with Moly. It will be the first time.

I already changed the engine oil at about 600 miles.

I figure at the rate I'm going that will be around September. After that I'll change it every other year as prescribed in the SM. 8)
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

now im worried, havent change mine since i bought the scoot..11000 kms now
Marko

Post by Marko »

you you wrote:
Marko wrote:Just changed the transmission oil in my 2015 PCX150. Just over two years and 16000Km (10000 miles). The oil I drained looked silver, as though it had lots of metallic particles in it. Is this normal?
I changed mine when I serviced it first and there were a lot of metal particles. 1k later and there were non.

So I'd recommend changing as soon as possible. Falls on deaf ears here as it deteriorates into a oil grade/type diminishing argument. The sky might appear to fall at some point too.
I'm not an obsessive oil changer, like some on this forum, but I'll certainly not wait two years again.
For the record, it was the first time the transmission oil had been changed.
I use Galp (Portuguese national oil company) 10-40 fully synthetic car oil.(can't get the correct Honda oil as the nearest Honda dealer is 130Km from here, and we don't have Amazon or eBay in Portugal.) I change the engine oil at the Honda recommend service intervals of 8000Km (5000 miles)
Ex.Honda PCX 125, (Red 2012) Now PCX 150 (2015 Grey). Honda VFR V-TEC, Quadzilla (SMC) 300 XLC (quad bike), Yamaha YFM 350 Raptor Quad
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Marko wrote:
you you wrote:

I'm not an obsessive oil changer, like some on this forum, but I'll certainly not wait two years again.
For the record, it was the first time the transmission oil had been changed.
I use Galp (Portuguese national oil company) 10-40 fully synthetic car oil.(can't get the correct Honda oil as the nearest Honda dealer is 130Km from here, and we don't have Amazon or eBay in Portugal.) I change the engine oil at the Honda recommend service intervals of 8000Km (5000 miles)

You definitely have eBay in Portugal is I've sold items to over there.

And Amazon missing a trick?
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

For those who insist on using gear oil here's the chart which shows motor oil viscosity equivalent in gear oil

Motor oil =SAE crankcase, Gear oil = SAE gear

homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Here's a little something to remind you to put SOMETHING, ANYTHING back in after a drain :lol: