How-To: Change Final Drive Oil

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

jhongskiecruz
Year: 2015
Color: gray

Re: How-To: Change Final Drive Oil

Post by jhongskiecruz »

Guys, My PCX had 3,250km now since i bought it,do i need to change the final drive oil?
jhongskiecruz

Post by jhongskiecruz »

maddiedog wrote:Per the maintenance schedule (http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=323), the final drive oil should be replaced every 2 years. I recommend you change it more often if you ride a lot -- around 10k miles, my oil still looked good, but had some glitter in it. I would say 10k miles or every 2 years at minimum. You could do it every oil change if you want -- it's a 5 minute job once you've done it once.

Here's Honda's word on the maintenance:
IMG_8423.JPG

If you're concerned your levels are low, put the bike on the centerstand and take off the top bolt. Add oil using a syringe until it comes out of the hole. Simple!

I use 10w30, as recommended. ANY (n) w30 oil will work, but you can find 10w30 the easiest. I recommend you use synthetic oil.

Here's the tools we'll use -- a syringe, a container for the oil, and 12mm ratchet with extension. The syringe is necessary -- due to the angle and size of the hole, a funnel will not work. The syringe I'm using is a standard medical syringe. Even a turkey baster will work.
IMG_8426.JPG

Here's where the 3 bolts are on the PCX. Wipe this area clean before proceeding with maintenance. It gets REALLY dirty because the vent for the variator and clutch is just in front of the bolts.
IMG_8427.JPG

The top left bolt is the fill port. The top right bolt you won't touch, it's one of the 7 bolts that holds the other side of the drive casing in place. The bottom bolt is the drain bolt.

Put your PCX on the sidestand. Place the cup under the drain bolt. Remove the drain bolt.
IMG_8428.JPG
IMG_8429.JPG

About 7oz of oil will come out. The stock oil will smell funny, gear oil has a particular smell to it.
IMG_8439.JPG

Put the drain bolt back in, and remove the fill bolt.
IMG_8430.JPG

Dispose of the oil responsibly. Clean your cup out. Open your new oil and pour about 8 ounces into the cup.

Put your bike on the centerstand. Get out your syringe, and start syringing oil into the bike. Your oil should be amber in color. I did this how-to by request, so the oil in my bike is new enough that I just put it back in (that's why the oil you see is darker).
IMG_8440.JPG
IMG_8442.JPG

Keep pumping oil into the fill port until oil flows out when you put it in. At that point, just put the fill bolt back in, and you're done!
IMG_8446.JPG

If you have any issues / questions / etc, feel free to reply or PM me.

If this how-to saved you a few bucks or made your life easier, you can buy me a beer using the yellow "Donate" button all the way at the bottom of the page. I host the site out of my own pocket, and provide it all ad-free for the public. I even make all these awesome how-tos for free, so even a tiny donation means a lot to me personally. ;)
Why are you putting back the old oil?
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

I found this at Honda Thailand for $1.50..

I'm still thinking this or just use the Honda 10w30

Why do we alwaya have to overthink things? LOL
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

You people are missing something, wondering off the reservation in these oil threads again. Honda places value on the additive (Moly) for the little bikes oils. It's recommended in the service manual for both engine and final reduction gear box. It maintains the aluminum reservoirs as well as having proper lubrication properties concerning friction. We can do pictures if you like.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039 ... UTF8&psc=1

Now stand by for a wide variety of opinion why this should be ignored :lol:
Attachments
final reduction.jpg
final reduction.jpg (74.95 KiB) Viewed 3563 times
with moly.jpg
with moly.jpg (180.57 KiB) Viewed 3563 times
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

It's normal for Honda to want us to consume their own products..

Now stand by for a wide variety of opinion why we should just stick to what the manual says :lol:

Offtopic: Went to Honda today to buy the gear oil and I'm glad to see that they also have a Fully synthetic 10w 30. probably gonna go with this one next oil change..molly or not

http://www.bigbike-thailand.com/reviews ... thetic_4t/
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

I think you are right.. Avoid over thinking this. Any good quality oil , changed regularly, and the bike will out live your strictest expectations. Ride on, and forget about the advertising hyperbole. Honda does not refine oil ..they buy it !
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

Update; changed final drive oil yesterday, one year since I bought the PCX. Oil look a little dark but not dirty. No metal particles..
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

alx123 wrote:Update; changed final drive oil yesterday, one year since I bought the PCX. Oil look a little dark but not dirty. No metal particles..

Was that just from looking at the flow of oil or did you let it settle and check what was at the bottom of the container?
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

you you wrote:
alx123 wrote:Update; changed final drive oil yesterday, one year since I bought the PCX. Oil look a little dark but not dirty. No metal particles..

Was that just from looking at the flow of oil or did you let it settle and check what was at the bottom of the container?
Drained oil was put inside a transparent plastic bottle. Will see again later if some particles settled down at the bottom overnight..
jhongskiecruz

Post by jhongskiecruz »

how many km's done,before you change final drive oil?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

alx123 wrote:
you you wrote:

Drained oil was put inside a transparent plastic bottle. Will see again later if some particles settled down at the bottom overnight..

That's more or less how in noticed mine. Nothing appeared as it was flowing out but when I decanted the used oil I was surprised at the residue.

Yours hopefully will be different but it's good to check :D
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

@youyou
I checked again, no residue
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

alx123 wrote:@youyou
I checked again, no residue

Perfect.
Jacito

Post by Jacito »

I've never changed the final gear oil, and I have about 4300 miles on her. I know what I will be doing this weekend.
Ride on and leave only tire tracks.
Jim

'15 Honda PCX 150
Pearl White
Motori Tec Inc. Performance Variator w/ 14g rollers
ContiScoot tires - safety recalled
Avon Viper tires
'08 Q'link Pegasus (traded in @ 12,000 miles)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Jacito wrote:I've never changed the final gear oil, and I have about 4300 miles on her. I know what I will be doing this weekend.
Piece of cake, let us know how it goes for you. I hope you will use the SM's recommended product and not dump any gear oil you have laying around in the precious :roll: Good luck!
Jacito

Post by Jacito »

homie wrote:Piece of cake, let us know how it goes for you. I hope you will use the SM's recommended product and not dump any gear oil you have laying around in the precious :roll: Good luck!
I always follow what is the recommended. I have to, as I'm not a mechanic by any means.
Ride on and leave only tire tracks.
Jim

'15 Honda PCX 150
Pearl White
Motori Tec Inc. Performance Variator w/ 14g rollers
ContiScoot tires - safety recalled
Avon Viper tires
'08 Q'link Pegasus (traded in @ 12,000 miles)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Jacito wrote:
homie wrote:Piece of cake, let us know how it goes for you. I hope you will use the SM's recommended product and not dump any gear oil you have laying around in the precious :roll: Good luck!
I always follow what is the recommended. I have to, as I'm not a mechanic by any means.
yes we love our scooters 8)
WI_Hedgehog