How-To: Install an Aftermarket Variator

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

cathy.fung
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Re: How-To: Install an Aftermarket Variator

Post by cathy.fung »

It's almost another 10000km since I last changed the belt and weights at the retailer. Since I have gathered quite some experience with the non-fatal parts (e.g. LED lights, air filter, voltage meter), I am thinking of trying to get this done by myself. Questions:

1. I only have simple equipments (non-electrical wrench and screwdriver from hardware store) and I am not as powerful as most of you. Will it be very difficult to take off the variator cover??
2. In case (1) is not an issue, do I just replace the worn parts and put the whole this back together, simple as that?
3. How long does it take to complete the procedure?

I always worry that I may mess up with any minute detail that it will cause more damage than good ...
Thanks all for your kind sharing and instructions in advance.
WI_Hedgehog
Powered by angry squirrels
Powered by angry squirrels
Year: 2017
Color: PearlDrkAshBlue

Post by WI_Hedgehog »

This is an old thread, but I'll dredge it up because something important was overlooked.

The boss is too short for good reason, and a compensating shim is supplied. With a new belt you put the shim on before the variator outer hub to push the hub out a bit. When the belt wears you put the shim on after the variator outer hub to push the hub in a bit to compensate for the worn belt that otherwise wouldn't ride as far to the outside of the variator, and this helps get your speed back without having to buy a new belt.

Of course you could put the shim outside from the start, resulting in less acceleration and hopefully more top end speed.

At least so goes the theory. It will depend on your scooter power, your bodyweight, width and height, windshield size, exhaust powerband, slider / roller weight, altitude, temperature, tires, bearing lube, all the things that affect power at high RPM and amount of wind resistance. No one setup works the same for everyone because everyone's conditions are different.

The other consideration is an engine will make a set amount of power over its life; how fast you burn through it is up to you.
MrVvrroomm
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by MrVvrroomm »

First post, long time lurker.

I just changed the belt and rollers in my '16 PCX. I have about 8700 miles on her. The belt and rollers were allegedly OEM, ordered over Ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-PCX125-P ... 2749.l2649

I was losing top speed, hitting the rev limiter earlier than when new. It's been a very gradual degradation. My indicated top speed was down to 62 mph.

After new belt and rollers the indicated top speed is now up to 67 mph. Even when new she would only do 65 mph indicated.

I took a few measurements of the new vs old stuff. The original (old) belt measured an average of .8445", the new one averaged .8541", difference of .0096".

The original (old) rollers averaged 15.68 grams, the new ones slightly lighter at an average of 15.52 grams.

The pictorial by the original poster was a valuable tool. Great pics.

I didn't need the special variator holding tool. I just used my Milwaukee cordless impact, easy-peasy.
BRTID
Year: 2010
Color: Black

Post by BRTID »

Thanks for the info