How-To: Oil Change For Honda PCX

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Re: How to: Oil Change for Honda PCX

Post by maddiedog »

From earlier reply:
maddiedog wrote:I can't find where I read that (it's not in the service or owner's manual).
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
depthman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by depthman »

maddiedog wrote:From earlier reply:
maddiedog wrote:I can't find where I read that (it's not in the service or owner's manual).
Thanks for checking. I'll switch over at 5000 (in another 2500).
ron labbe
red 2013 PCX150
Outofchips

Post by Outofchips »

This is an outstanding, clear presentation that makes the job a snap. Thanks!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Oil change tips

Post by you you »

OK sorry this isn't probably a total how to so if maddie wants to move it that's fine

Bored in the garage so changed the oil. 2,400 miles and changed first at 600. Like everything else you do it better by the second time and get the hang of it by the third

First tip is to use a bit of duct tape from the sump to stop the oil running down the mainstand

Cheap and easy. The oil just does what oil does and runs down it

Second tip. Manual says 900ml of oil after the oil screen change. I conservately measured out 850ml and warmed the bike, let it cool and it was slightly overfilled :roll:

Took 20ml out by a bellows pipette so 830ml next time

Last tip would be to use a spanner on the oil filter housing at first. Just to crack it. A 17mm socket doesn't fit to well at all. A 12 side on was terrible and a six sided one was still very sloppy

Last changed the oil at 600 miles but was quite surprised at how it had degraded 1,800 miles later

Can't complain though. Half an hour job and the oil strainer was perfectly clean. Didn't even warrant wiping.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: Oil change tips

Post by WhiteNoise »

8) Brilliant idea double you! Duct tape! fancy that ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:8) Brilliant idea double you! Duct tape! fancy that ;)
Do you?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

No wait a minute! I immediately edited my post and it didn't fly! I take back what I said after I gave it thought. Do you change oil with cold motor? Rule is to change when hot. Thus oil flows/drains more out. Refilling to proper level then works. Duct tape on hot motor....gooey/sticky/melt.
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:No wait a minute! I immediately edited my post and it didn't fly! I take back what I said after I gave it thought. Do you change oil with cold motor? Rule is to change when hot. Thus oil flows/drains more out. Refilling to proper level then works. Duct tape on hot motor....gooey/sticky/melt.

Hot or cold. It doesn't make any difference

Chill.
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

I'm not the mechanic in my family, however, my hubby always changes the oil in our vehicles (cars and bikes) when the vehicle is cold and not used for awhile. he has a big flat used oil container that the used oil drains into and then we put that oil back in the original container and take it to the local service station that recycles oil.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

I'm comfortable ;) We're taught differently, I'm guessing. To each his/her own (mind/motor).
My Uncle was chief mechanic for Pan American Airlines, and serviced automobiles on the side. He serviced all of mine till he passed. He was strict with oil change procedure. So it goes. I just have to remember to be careful from beginning to end....hate getting burned.
(you you, You Do have me thinking :D I like the "idea" of a lead from "the sump" to the pan. Thanks
jlhog
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jlhog »

On my second oil change I put the PCX on the side stand and pulled the screen to drain the oil and clean the screen all in one shot. Much easier than putting a drain pan under it while on the center stand and you clean the screen at the same time. Time saver and easier. I clean the screen every oil change.
2013 Honda PCX 150
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

jlhog wrote:On my second oil change I put the PCX on the side stand and pulled the screen to drain the oil and clean the screen all in one shot. Much easier than putting a drain pan under it while on the center stand and you clean the screen at the same time. Time saver and easier. I clean the screen every oil change.

Good idea. Does it get all the oil out?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Oh now look what I did!
you you, You are right! I changed oil today, that's the good news. But damn! Take a Look at my oil screen bolt :x Crap!
I read your previous post after my wrong doing :( I did Not use a wrench/spanner on it First (curse again)...and the two "proper" sized sockets I used Didn't fit snugly! why? (what the __) I swear that damn bolt is tight as a ****(bleep this)****!!!!!
Color me Red!!
Can't get the bolt to budge! Now what? How do I remove it?? Help!! Anybody???
Guess I'm ordering a New Oil Strainer Bolt? Or assembly?
Me and the White....not getting along today :?
Attachments
Carved
Carved
image.jpg (108.12 KiB) Viewed 3265 times
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Looks like you used a twelve sided socket :) needs to be a spanner or six sided. Have you tried a spanner on it. Looks as if it'll still work. Use an adjustable one and tighten it undersize and tap it on?

Don't worry there are still a few ways. I'd try them in this order but let's see what suggestions others have

Use a cold chisel or old screwdriver and hammer and whack it round

Mole grips

File a flat in it for a large screwdriver

Before trying any of these I'd also make sure the bike was warmed up and I'd give the cap a reasonable ( but not too hard) crack face on to free the threads.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Good morning yous! :) Thanks for your quick reply and advice.
I'm calmer today. Life moves on (that sounds good, don't it?)
Here's my order of tool usage on the oil :x screen bolt:
(Oh, the bike Was warmed up first as I drained the oil prior to this).

Ratchet with Six sided 17mm socket then 12 sided 17 mm socket. I tried both sockets with and without a short ratchet extension. No budging.
Then I tried tapping the ratchet arm (with a 6 sided socket on the bolt) with a hammer. OMG, right!?
No luck. All I accomplished was beating it up. These tools kept slipping off it's rounded edges.
Then only then, did I grab my stubby length gear spanner (same as word wrench in USA). I tried it by itself on gear end then reversed it to open end side and tapped again with my hammer. SOB won't budge!

I have to say, this alloy casting is Soft, it was chipping off in places & gathering on the cardboard in bits beneath it. So Sad.
It also angers me that the housing around this bolt is SO small that you can't turn a wrench around. Mad at Honda. Why such confinement?
"I've done" my oil change before, but I had my neighbor open this "problem" bolt then. This sure is one Tuff nut to crack!
I appreciate your suggestions and I am open to others. I can't get tuit today anyway....I'm off to Mom.

Hey! it Snowed here this a.m.......just a dusting. Guess I timed my service right, but still want to ride a bit longer. I've got the proper clothing 4 sure. Have a good day All!! ;)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:Good morning yous! :) Thanks for your quick reply and advice.

Ratchet with Six sided 17mm socket then 12 sided 17 mm socket. I tried both sockets with and without a short ratchet extension. No budging.
Then I tried tapping the ratchet arm (with a 6 sided socket on the bolt) with a hammer. OMG, right!?
No luck. All I accomplished was beating it up. These tools kept slipping off it's rounded edges.
Then only then, did I grab my stubby length gear spanner (same as word wrench in USA). I tried it by itself on gear end then reversed it to open end side and tapped again with my hammer. SOB won't budge!

I have to say, this alloy casting is Soft, it was chipping off in places & gathering on the cardboard in bits beneath it. So Sad.
It also angers me that the housing around this bolt is SO small that you can't turn a wrench around. Mad at Honda. Why such confinement?
"I've done" my oil change before, but I had my neighbor open this "problem" bolt then. This sure is one Tuff nut to crack!
I appreciate your suggestions and I am open to others. I can't get tuit today anyway....I'm off to Mom.

Hey! it Snowed here this a.m.......just a dusting. Guess I timed my service right, but still want to ride a bit longer. I've got the proper clothing 4 sure. Have a good day All!! ;)

De nada chica

Its not a huge thing to worry about tbh. Change the oil frequently and it's not going to clog the filter. Ignoring it could be an option. :D
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

If it's any consolation I nearly snapped of a plastic lug removing the plastics changing the rollers recently. Left a screw in!!
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

you you wrote:
WhiteNoise wrote:Good morning yous! :) Thanks for your quick reply and advice.

De nada chica

Its not a huge thing to worry about tbh. Change the oil frequently and it's not going to clog the filter. Ignoring it could be an option. :D
Agree cleaning this filter is not so important.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

OK I don't know if this means anything to you guys and gals who wanted to know where Honda recommended synthetic oil but the oil that is recommended in the service manual is'Pro Honda HP4M 4-stroke oil'. I looked that up on the internet and it says that THAT particular oil is synthetic blend.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

By the way, Honda's own brochure says the HP4M is a synthetic/mineral oil blend. No mention of Dino fliud.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers