How-To: Oil Change For Honda PCX

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

oh335i
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Re: How-To: Oil Change For Honda PCX

Post by oh335i »

Thanks to EddieC and all the other contributors to the "Oil change how to". I picked up a used black 2013 PCX-150 a couple weeks ago with only 368 miles on it. I now have 650 miles on it and did my first only change on it today after reading this How To guide, and it was a piece of cake.

I thought the oil that I drained from the bike was really dirty. I'm glad I read on this forum that the oil needed changed after the first 600 miles. I used Quaker State full synthetic 10W-30 oil.

Thanks again to everyone for all the info!!!
ericpcx1

Post by ericpcx1 »

Hi all.
I have just done an oil change on my scoot, 10000 miles, draining oil went well but messed oil as per the norm with the PCX but I could not get the strainer out. The bike shop that did the oil change last time must have over tightened it last time. It is so tight that a 17mm spanner is too big now, the material for the strainer cover is so soft it is very easy to round the edges.
Don't know what to do now.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

ericpcx1, Hi!
I know, it's crazy right! :x My oil screen bolt wouldn't budge either. I got on the forum for help like you're doing now.
If you go to page 3 of this thread and scroll down half way (or a bit more), you'll read my bolt problem. Member "you you" then shared his helpful advice.
I didn't get mine off, but I wasn't worried because I had cleaned the screen on my first oil change and only minor bits were found in it then.

If you're still have a problem getting "a grip on it," to loosen it, come back and ask again. Perhaps someone else has another idea ;) Good Luck!!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

I used a socket I ground down so the edge of the socket is nice and flat as there is normally a chamfer on them. The 17mm hex on the plug is very shallow so it's easy to round off as it can gets pretty tight. The rubber seal on it really takes a grip. Put some oil on the seal when you are refitting it and it might be easier to take it off the next time. The photo is an example as this is a multi-hex socket. I have a full hex as it doesn't slip so easy
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1409595799.969001.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1409595799.969001.jpg (50.47 KiB) Viewed 4099 times
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

The alloy face of the hex is too shallow. I prefer to use an adjustable wrench ( I know, I know :| ) set a teeny bit to tight and tapped on. Not ideal but works perfectly.

I'm not proud :lol:
homey
Regular User
Regular User

Post by homey »

Just drain and change your oil at the scheduled time. There isn't anything worth busting your knuckles over in that screen if the engine is good. If chunks of steel are flying around the crankcase then I want that engine to fail before the warranty is up. Better it trash itself and make Honda replace the whole engine rather then giving them a chance to nurse a factory defect beyond warranty with patches.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homey wrote:Just drain and change your oil at the scheduled time. There isn't anything worth busting your knuckles over in that screen if the engine is good. If chunks of steel are flying around the crankcase then I want that engine to fail before the warranty is up. Better it trash itself and make Honda replace the whole engine rather then giving them a chance to nurse a factory defect beyond warranty with patches.

I think the screen needs cleaning as soon as possible. Not to important thereafter. Same for the rear drive oil.

Just bought an oil filer replacement for the boxer cup that uses a medical grade filter rather than paper

Absolutely stunning quality. Arrived in a couple of days from the USA. Boy do they do customer service.
homey
Regular User
Regular User

Post by homey »

you you wrote:I think the screen needs cleaning as soon as possible. Not to important thereafter. Same for the rear drive oil.
Just bought an oil filer replacement for the boxer cup that uses a medical grade filter rather than paper
Absolutely stunning quality. Arrived in a couple of days from the USA. Boy do they do customer service.
Yes we do! where is this rear drive oil? how about a pic? Hey youyou click over and critic my glove box action you little bish! Go tell me it looks like shist or something http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 357#p43357

Man this forum is dead!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I Beg Your Pardon! What dost thou mean by that?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

homey wrote:
you you wrote:I think the screen needs cleaning as soon as possible. Not to important thereafter. Same for the rear drive oil.
Yes we do! where is this rear drive oil? how about a pic? Hey youyou click over and critic my glove box action you little bish! Go tell me it looks like shist or something http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 357#p43357

Man this forum is dead!
Be polite, you look silly.

I'd be glad to make a rear drive oil how-to. No one has asked that I know of yet. PM me if you want it and I'll whip one up when I get a chance.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
pcxpower
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Post by pcxpower »

maddiedog wrote:I'd be glad to make a rear drive oil how-to. No one has asked that I know of yet. PM me if you want it and I'll whip one up when I get a chance.
And we all would be extremely thankful to you if you can do a how-to. It looks easy, but it's always good to see how a "pro" does something to learn how to do it! ;) ;) ;)
2015 Honda PCX 125
pcxpower
Regular User
Regular User

Re: How to: Oil Change for Honda PCX

Post by pcxpower »

EddieC wrote:How to do an oil change on Honda PCX.
When I need to change the oil, this thread will be invaluable! Thanks a lot! ;)
Gossamer wrote:Thought I'd share what I use for my oil change.
Thanks for the tips! I'm going to collect some "tools" like the ones you used ;)
Renovatio wrote:I want to warn everyone. When changing the oil in the gearbox broke in half the lower drain bolt. The tightening torque according to a manual 23Nm. Lucky that the bolt was in the oil and using tweezers, screwdrivers, wire, twisted thread residue, spending 2 hours. Ordered a new one, but now I will twist, as always, by hand, rather than relying on figures.
Thanks! We will be careful with this bolt... ;)
2015 Honda PCX 125
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

I've been wondering about torque's and such - if you do the service yourself, and note how hard it was to undo, or at least tighten bolts up tight but not overly so - isn't that good enough? Is the suggested torque always that important?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

maddiedog wrote:
homey wrote:

Man this forum is dead!
Be polite, you look silly.

I'd be glad to make a rear drive oil how-to. No one has asked that I know of yet. PM me if you want it and I'll whip one up when I get a chance.
Not a lot to it really, just undo the bolt and the oil comes out. I was really shocked at the amount of swarf that came out of it.

Especially since I've just bought two new cars that don't have their engine oil changed until 10k and the other 30k!!

Uncomfortable!!!
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

pcxpower wrote:And we all would be extremely thankful to you if you can do a how-to. It looks easy, but it's always good to see how a "pro" does something to learn how to do it! ;) ;) ;)
Done! See here: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3224
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
pcxpower
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pcxpower »

Thanks again! ;)
2015 Honda PCX 125
ericpcx1

Post by ericpcx1 »

Same thing has happened to me, that's what happens when you have your scoot serviced by the dealer
WhiteNoise wrote:Oh now look what I did!
you you, You are right! I changed oil today, that's the good news. But damn! Take a Look at my oil screen bolt :x Crap!
I read your previous post after my wrong doing :( I did Not use a wrench/spanner on it First (curse again)...and the two "proper" sized sockets I used Didn't fit snugly! why? (what the __) I swear that damn bolt is tight as a ****(bleep this)****!!!!!
Color me Red!!
Can't get the bolt to budge! Now what? How do I remove it?? Help!! Anybody???
Guess I'm ordering a New Oil Strainer Bolt? Or assembly?
Me and the White....not getting along today :?
pcxpower
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pcxpower »

ericpcx1 wrote:Same thing has happened to me, that's what happens when you have your scoot serviced by the dealer
And what finally happened? Could you/they remove the bolt?
2015 Honda PCX 125
frog13
Regular User
Regular User
Color: white

Post by frog13 »

In the OP's photos , it appears the brake cable / line can be moved down quite a bit after the 8 mm bolt is removed . Are there other fasteners to remove for this cable under the plastics as it runs towards the front of the bike that should be unhooked for better access to the filter cap. TIA
jkautz
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Metallic Black

Post by jkautz »

Good write up!

2015 PCX150 Metallic Black