How-To: Oil Change For Honda PCX

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: How-To: Oil Change For Honda PCX

Post by WhiteNoise »

2yous, John and George, (sounds like a song, guess which one??) anywho, I fooled yas!
Earlier days? tasted petrol a few times :oops: That sucked!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:2yous, John and George, (sounds like a song, guess which one??) anywho, I fooled yas!

Can't think of a song :|
OldGuywhoTinkers
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by OldGuywhoTinkers »

The suggestion on changing hot oil is based on this. Dirt in its various form is often tiny, ( in microns) and in suspension (when warm). You drive the vehicle so the oil is hotter and so that when you pull the drain plug, MORE of the dirt flows out, quickly. Doesn't mean that you can't change oil cold. But it's a good idea. I have even used cheaper oil as a "flushing agent" in cars to get ALL the oil out. I'll skip how to flush automotive engines safely, since we are talking about scooters.
qcpcx
Color: red

Post by qcpcx »

I read every comment on this thread but have not noticed anyone recommending a brand of oil? Any preferences on brands, or simply meet the requirements in the owners manual?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi qcpcx,
Why? because which oil, best oil, Honda oil - is a topic all in itself, and Not a "How-To" topic ;)
Click the search button at the top of this page (or any page), type in a few words of what you're looking for (Oil in this case). You'll find Many discussions.

Find the time, and you will find it all!
Glad "you" came aboard! :P
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
OldGuywhoTinkers
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: How to: Oil Change for Honda PCX

Post by OldGuywhoTinkers »

PCX_LosAngelesRider wrote:Hi everyone,

I was wondering what type of oil you put in your PCX?

There are some brands that are specific towards 4-stroke, water cooled motorcycles, "forumlated with clutch saving technology."

Is this brand of oil good for the PCX? Or should I stay away from motorcycle oil and stick with normal oil (like what a car uses) ?

The manual suggests "Pro Honda HP4M" but that product is not available at my local shop.

Thanks for your time and help.
===================================================

Motorcycles and it's cousins include clutch packs alternating with friction disks and steel plates and gears AS PART OF THE ENGINE ITSELF. We are not using automatic transmission fluid here. For this reason they add special additives so you have the correct coefficient of friction so clutches don't either slip or grab too quickly. Most scooter engines are just low rpm engines, so any quality engine oil of the correct weight will do, even "cheaper oils". (Besides you are not doing 25,000 mile oil changes, right ? ) Oils with moly won't hurt. After the first couple of oil changes you can also go synthetic. I would use 10 W 30 or 10- W 40 in the summer, 10 W 30 in the winter.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

you you wrote:
WhiteNoise wrote:2yous, John and George, (sounds like a song, guess which one??) anywho, I fooled yas!

Can't think of a song :|
Abraham, Martin and John by Dion DiMucci
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

OldGuywhoTinkers wrote:
There are some brands that are specific towards 4-stroke, water cooled motorcycles, "forumlated with clutch saving technology."
Is this brand of oil good for the PCX? Or should I stay away from motorcycle oil and stick with normal oil (like what a car uses) ?
The manual suggests "Pro Honda HP4M" but that product is not available at my local shop.
Motorcycles and it's cousins include clutch packs alternating with friction disks and steel plates and gears AS PART OF THE ENGINE ITSELF. We are not using automatic transmission fluid here. For this reason they add special additives so you have the correct coefficient of friction so clutches don't either slip or grab too quickly. Most scooter engines are just low rpm engines, so any quality engine oil of the correct weight will do, even "cheaper oils". (Besides you are not doing 25,000 mile oil changes, right ? ) Oils with moly won't hurt. After the first couple of oil changes you can also go synthetic. I would use 10 W 30 or 10- W 40 in the summer, 10 W 30 in the winter.
I'd still go with a 2-stroke not 4-stoke (car) oil for the scooter, but any good brand name and fully synth after the 1st few changes, as stated, will be fine.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

I'd still go with a 2-stroke not 4-stoke (car) oil for the scooter, but any good brand name and fully synth after the 1st few changes, as stated, will be fine.
Each to their own. But I've never read of a single 4 stroke engine manufacturer recommending or approving using 2T (2 stroke mix with fuel) oil, nor have I ever read of any lubricant manufacturer recommending their 2T oil for a 4 stroke crankcase.

Is there any engine or lubricant manufacturer recommending this that I'm unaware of ?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

iceman wrote:
OldGuywhoTinkers wrote:
Two stroke oil o_O

Jesus Christ on a bicycle.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Oops! I blame the heat and humidity (it's been bad the past 3 days) - yes, never use 2-stroke! :)
That was supposed to be mentioning the recommendation to use motorcycle specific oil and not car oil but that really only applies to wet clutch motorbikes anyway, not a dry clutch scooter such as the pcx.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Roger that, totally understood !!!!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

iceman wrote:Oops! I blame the heat and humidity (it's been bad the past 3 days) - yes, never use 2-stroke! :)
That was supposed to be mentioning the recommendation to use motorcycle specific oil and not car oil but that really only applies to wet clutch motorbikes anyway, not a dry clutch scooter such as the pcx.

:lol:
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

There were tests done and two stroke oil and four stroke oil performed similarly in wear and heat,however 4 stroke oil has more detregents and suspension qualities that you should adhere to.Two stroke oil will damage the cat as well.Best is to use a diesel oil suitable for cars as well in proper viscosity ratings.Two stroke is not for four stroke,but can be used in an emergency.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

easyrider wrote:There were tests done and two stroke oil and four stroke oil performed similarly in wear and heat,however 4 stroke oil has more detregents and suspension qualities that you should adhere to.Two stroke oil will damage the cat as well.Best is to use a diesel oil suitable for cars as well in proper viscosity ratings.Two stroke is not for four stroke,but can be used in an emergency.
More than one type of two stroke oil. I wouldn't leave anything castor based in the sump for long :D

Let's just say two stroke oil is best for two strokes. Not the PCX.
masator

Post by masator »

Does anyone know how effective is the strainer comparing to proper oil filter? I'm surprised PCX is not using paper filter.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

I wish it had a paper filter too, but since it takes such a small amount of oil to do a change, And I use and oil drain valve, it's easy to change the oil more often, which I do every six months.

Then again realize these little PCX scooters are sold in Third World countries where they get very bad gas NO maintenance and they still get many/many thousands of miles on the engine.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
masator

Post by masator »

Jge64 wrote:I wish it had a paper filter too, but since it takes such a small amount of oil to do a change, And I use and oil drain valve, it's easy to change the oil more often, which I do every six months.

Then again realize these little PCX scooters are sold in Third World countries where they get very bad gas NO maintenance and they still get many/many thousands of miles on the engine.
I started questioning the filter thing because when you remove the dip stick there is always dirt that got stuck between the o ring of the dipstick and the edge of the oil filter hole. If you try to clean it some dirt might enter into the oil which I doubt the strainer would prevent from getting into the engine.
jburner
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX
Color: Black

Post by jburner »

I tried searching this thread, anyone use 0w-30 Mobil 1 for engine oil? Any reason not to?
Bronxcat
Year: 2019
Color: Grey/Charcoal

Post by Bronxcat »

How about the O Rings? What size are the replacements for the oil plug and the filter?