How-To: Oil Change For Honda PCX

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: How-To: Oil Change For Honda PCX

Post by WhiteNoise »

you you wrote:
WhiteNoise wrote:^ Thanks for your input Dave. The more helpful info, the better ;)

>> This is to member Gossamer, who shared with us "his home made oil change kit" back on page 4 of this thread. Great photos too.

If you're reading this Gossamer, (I'm hoping you are) I'd like to thank you for your ideas, because I put them to use today! That's right, I set me up a kit like yours (minus the plastic bottle and hose) and got my Oil change done with No mess! (Maybe a drop or two, but that was it!)
So, thank ye fellow PCX'er wherever you are!! Ride back here someday. I Tip My Hat To You :P
image.jpg
P.S. My first time using my New Table Lift 8) Should have bought one Sooner. Love it! So does my back!

Get a vacuum pump as your next toy, sorry, tool. Makes oil changes ridiculously easy...
Hey, Hey! I looked those up right away! Great idea. Found this...toy :D but Not bought yet http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200338119
Should be good nuff, true?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Re: How to: Oil Change for Honda PCX

Post by WhiteNoise »

de dee wrote:
loudgonzo wrote:
WhiteNoise wrote:Hello EddieC and thank you for sharing your "how to" with us :) I had my laptop nearby while doing the job.
May I just suggest that in your opening of 1, 2, 3, etc. steps, that you preface it with something like this:
protect floor if need be (i.e. corrugated cardboard or ?) Place bike on level surface, put bike on centerstand, warm up engine for several minutes, turn off bike "Before starting" the following draining process (then maybe explain why we warm her up first?)
I know a lot of us know all ^ already, but others do not, and some don't look at their manuals at all :(
I sure do like this section of the forum. It's nice folk like You that use their time and effort in helping the rest of us "get into it" and thus love our bikes even more! Soooo..... Cheers to You All!! ;)
why does the engine have to warm up first? How long should the engine warm up?
you change the oil hot so the particals do not settle, and it speeds up the oil when draining I change my oil after a long ride, over 10 miles,.
Say de dee, after 10 miles? Hmm...did I read that right? Are ya missing zero's? :roll:
About the hot oil? I agree.
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
jkautz
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Metallic Black

Post by jkautz »

10 miles! I usually will take mine out for a mile or two and then drain it. 10 miles!?

2015 PCX150 Metallic Black
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:
you you wrote:
WhiteNoise wrote:^ Thanks for your input Dave. The more helpful info, the better ;)

>> This is to member Gossamer, who shared with us "his home made oil change kit" back on page 4 of this thread. Great photos too.

If you're reading this Gossamer, (I'm hoping you are) I'd like to thank you for your ideas, because I put them to use today! That's right, I set me up a kit like yours (minus the plastic bottle and hose) and got my Oil change done with No mess! (Maybe a drop or two, but that was it!)
So, thank ye fellow PCX'er wherever you are!! Ride back here someday. I Tip My Hat To You :P
image.jpg
P.S. My first time using my New Table Lift 8) Should have bought one Sooner. Love it! So does my back!

Get a vacuum pump as your next toy, sorry, tool. Makes oil changes ridiculously easy...
Hey, Hey! I looked those up right away! Great idea. Found this...toy :D but Not bought yet http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200338119
Should be good nuff, true?
Not the same as I've got as mine is vertical (ahem). But same principle. Probably one of the best things I have ever bought
jkautz
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jkautz »

This would be a good purchase! i wouldn't have to buy $1.00 washers anymore!

Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

jkautz wrote:10 miles! I usually will take mine out for a mile or two and then drain it. 10 miles!?
Haha :lol: good one! or two. Pull over! Change that oil!
Oh and yeah, crush washer 1.00 saved! Buy a Mega Millions ticket ;) Gotta be init to winit! (So they say) :roll:
jkautz
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jkautz »

lol I know I ain't winnin anything!

What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

jkautz wrote:This would be a good purchase! i wouldn't have to buy $1.00 washers anymore!

You don't have to now...
RichyP
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: White

Post by RichyP »

hey guys,

another Noob question, I have checked the oil level in my bike and its about 25% full, i have bought some Castrol Power 1 4T 10W/40 Motorcycle Engine Oil.

Shall i just add some in to top it up, or is it better to do a full oil change? I am about 1000 miles on it as it sits and want to be sure that there is enough oil as not to cause damage, but as i have come from scooters requiring 2 stroke, i am used to just topping it up every so often.

Is it safe to just top it up for the time being?
jkautz
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jkautz »

RichyP - I just went through the exact same scenario. Checked my level and it was 25-30% full. I decided to add oil to make it full. Took it for a quick ride, then completely drained & refilled it. I can't imagine riding on a cup of oil for who knows how long, would due any good keeping it in there. Just drain & start over.

And check it on every gas fill up. That's what I'm doing now.

Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

Top-up is fine between changes if you're not to the maintenance interval. :)

If your oil is low, keep an eye on it. The PCX doesn't typically use oil, so you're leaking it, burning it, or didn't fill enough.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
jkautz
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jkautz »

maddiedog - can a new PCX burn oil when it's so new?

What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

RichyP wrote:hey guys,

another Noob question, I have checked the oil level in my bike and its about 25% full, i have bought some Castrol Power 1 4T 10W/40 Motorcycle Engine Oil.

Shall i just add some in to top it up, or is it better to do a full oil change? I am about 1000 miles on it as it sits and want to be sure that there is enough oil as not to cause damage, but as i have come from scooters requiring 2 stroke, i am used to just topping it up every so often.

Is it safe to just top it up for the time being?

What would be your thoughts? 25% full might be someone else's 75% empty.

Might be best to stop typing and put some, any oil, oil in your bike?
jkautz
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jkautz »

Don't listen to you you ^^ He's one of those smart a** internet guys you try and avoid. You'll get full plate of nothing with a side of ego. I'd just take my advice & go from there.

Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

He has a point though, if your bike is low on oil, put oil in it.

His post is sarcastic, but right.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
jkautz
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jkautz »

It's obvious oil will be going into it. But to be sarcastic ALL the time. Kinda gets boring

Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by Safety Man »

WhiteNoise wrote:Bravo starkdog24 just the input I needed to read. I'm a hater of that bolt! Honda fail! Too soft is Right!! So thanks for kicking in! ;)

Now I have questions, :D

1) what is the difference between an impact driver, an impact wrench and an impact drill/driver? They are confusing me online when I look for one.

2) is 18 volt enough?

3) 1/4", 3/8" or 1/2"?

4) is corded better than cordless?

5) and do you suggest any special manufacturers brand? or shape so it fits in our "oil space bolt area?"

Some of these questions may seem silly, but I'm into details (more the better for me).
Thanks again 8)
I was trying to get my oil screen cleaned today and ran into the same 17mm bolt problem. Did you end up getting that impact wrench, White Noise? If so, was that the solution that worked for you. Gracias!
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

I own both corded and cordless impact guns… The corded Dewalt is obviously much more heavy duty and can pull a lug off a wheel at 100 foot pounds. Whereas the craftsman cordless one will not, but is great for tightening a lug. I think it all depends on how tight that 17 MM is for the oil screen. And a impact driver is a manual item that you hit with a hammer and it twists quickly. Much cheaper, but maybe hard to use in this particular situation.

If I could only own one , it would be the Dewalt corded unit off Amazon.I can swap wheels on the vette almost as fast as NASCAR pit crew with it.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Jge64 wrote:I own both corded and cordless impact guns… The corded Dewalt is obviously much more heavy duty and can pull a lug off a wheel at 100 foot pounds. Whereas the craftsman cordless one will not, but is great for tightening a lug. I think it all depends on how tight that 17 MM is for the oil screen. And a impact driver is a manual item that you hit with a hammer and it twists quickly. Much cheaper, but maybe hard to use in this particular situation.

If I could only own one , it would be the Dewalt corded unit off Amazon.I can swap wheels on the vette almost as fast as NASCAR pit crew with it.

I probably wouldn't use anything like this for tightening things
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

Nobody uses an impact driver to tighten things… It's to loosen things ......you tighten things with the torque wrench
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI