How-To: Oil Change For Honda PCX

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: How-To: Oil Change For Honda PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I felt that I just had to relate my latest oil change adventure to this 'clean' oil change thread. This happened two days ago. It gave me the push to create the OCD oil change kit for my next oil change. Keep in mind that I usually spill only a drop or two when I normally change the oil. However, a neighbor came over and wanted to keep me company in my basement workshop. He has more tools than Harbor Freight (which is his favorite store) but he doesn't spend much time using them, and after this oil change adve tire I can see why.
He asked if he could help me when I changed the oil on my bike, so I gave him the task of holding g the try after I positioned it. Well the first 1/2 quart went well, but then I noticed this creeping pond of black stuff moving out from u der the bike. I asked the friend to please push it up closer because the oil was missing the pan. Long story made short, the other 1/2 of quart that was in the bike never made it to the pan, no matter how hard the guy tried. I think he needs to get his eyes checked. I wear bifocals and could see that the pan was at least an inch too far forward. He kept moving it in the wrong direction! Well, after I had fished the drain plug out of the oil pan and cleaned it up, I reinstalled it and went on a hunt for something to soak up the oil. I found a bag of wood chips which worked better than nothing and at least contained the oil. My neighbor, meanwhile ran upstairs yelling that he needed some Winded. It seems he thinks Windex will clean up anything, including 1/2 quart of synthetic oil!
Moral of the story, don't let your friends and neighbors help you unless you are certain that they can HELP. His help turned into an additional 30 minutes of cleanup. In the end though, the oil did get changed. However, he also wanted to help me change the final drive oil, so it suddenly did not need to be changed. ;-)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
pcxpower
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by pcxpower »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Very interesting read!!! When I change the oil I'll be careful, so that I don't spill as much oil as your neighbor helped you to! ;)
2015 Honda PCX 125
jkautz
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Metallic Black

Post by jkautz »

Did my oil change yesterday. I put in 800ml (.8qt) 10w30 full synthetic Amsoil. I checked the oil after riding a couple days and the dipstick reads at the very top of the hash marks, should I let a little out? Or is it okay to run it maxed out on the hash marks?

2015 PCX150 Metallic Black
Year: 2011 PCX125

Post by starkdog24 »

This is such an excellent thread. Great advice all the way through! I did my first oil change yesterday at 600mi on my 2011 PCX 125. I read this forum, and noticed a few people having some difficulty in some steps of the oil change. After doing my first one, I hope I can help with my solutions to these problems.

After reading this thread plus a few others, I concluded that I DID NOT WANT TO USE MY CENTER STAND for two reasons. First, there have been too many issues with it (2011 PCX 125s in particular) breaking or cracking the engine block. Also, everybody has complained about how the center stand gets in the way when draining the oil. So after draining the oil on the the side stand, I just simply pulled the bike off the side stand and held it leaning to the right for several minutes. Quite a bit more oil came out, and I had no issues with stray oil onto the center stand.

Another debated issue: the 17mm oil filter bolt. It is such a soft metal, my first pass with a wrench was not working. It just kept slipping and stripping! So, I whipped out my IMPACT DRIVER, and that thing came right off with no problem. No stripping, no sweating. An impact driver can be less that $100, and I use mine all the time for a lot of things around the house. So, GET AN IMPACT DRIVER! It will make this issue a non-issue.

Adding the oil was a little difficult not using the center stand, but I made sure the bike was on a flat surface. I added a total of .75L of full synthetic 10W-30.

I hope this helped some people.
Patrick

2011 PCX125
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Bravo starkdog24 just the input I needed to read. I'm a hater of that bolt! Honda fail! Too soft is Right!! So thanks for kicking in! ;)

Now I have questions, :D

1) what is the difference between an impact driver, an impact wrench and an impact drill/driver? They are confusing me online when I look for one.

2) is 18 volt enough?

3) 1/4", 3/8" or 1/2"?

4) is corded better than cordless?

5) and do you suggest any special manufacturers brand? or shape so it fits in our "oil space bolt area?"

Some of these questions may seem silly, but I'm into details (more the better for me).
Thanks again 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
starkdog24

Post by starkdog24 »

WhiteNoise wrote:Bravo starkdog24 just the input I needed to read. I'm a hater of that bolt! Honda fail! Too soft is Right!! So thanks for kicking in! ;)

Now I have questions, :D

1) what is the difference between an impact driver, an impact wrench and an impact drill/driver? They are confusing me online when I look for one.

2) is 18 volt enough?

3) 1/4", 3/8" or 1/2"?

4) is corded better than cordless?

5) and do you suggest any special manufacturers brand? or shape so it fits in our "oil space bolt area?"

Some of these questions may seem silly, but I'm into details (more the better for me).
Thanks again 8)

Glad I could actually help someone else! The way IMPACT works is it uses a "jackhammer effect" while also tightening or loosening the screw. So, an IMPACT DRILL screws a screw while "jackhammering" it directly into the force of the screw. The IMPACT WRENCH directs the "jackhammer" in a rotational manner rather than into the screw itself. Both make tightening and loosening bolts super easy, but I guess if I were exclusively using this tool for your bike/autos, then I'd go with IMPACT WRENCH.

An impact wrench can be cordless, plug into a wall, or into an air compressor. I'd think you could use the cordless so much easier, and for more versatile for other projects on autos or household use. 18 to 20V should be enough for almost all projects.

I don't think the size actually matters as long as your sockets fit into it. Dewalt is an excellent brand, that is what I have. http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Vo ... 5yc1vZc29x
Just look for a nice long manufacturers warranty.

I hope I answered all your questions.
Patrick

2011 PCX125
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Perfect!! You were a great help! Cool, I prefer DeWalt too, and Makita. So, my best bet would be an
"Impact wrench" in any size. Okay.
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

I'm back and wondering about using a impact wrench after watching a few YouTubes last night. Yeah there are lots of videos, but I couldn't find one where an impact wrench was used to remove a motorcycle/scooter's oil screen bolt. Not finding one has me wondering if this impact tool is Too overpowering that it could possibly do more damage than good? The power goes head on in speed, correct? No adjusting the speed? So it goes....ZING! Off and on. No chance of stripping the soft bolt?

Tell me I'm over thinking this....Please! I picked this impact wrench at Lowes (price good comes with needed/proper size mm sockets and has a good warranty. It's electric seems bulky and heavy).
Now I digress :(

http://www.lowes.com/pd_28180-11241-690 ... facetInfo=

Any other info you can share to clear my clouded head up would be appreciated :ugeek:
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

I've never used an electric one, only air powered so I can't comment on what there're like but I would be careful what your using it on. Fine for steel bolt,nuts and steel threads but you need to be careful with alloy parts. Fine for removal but not sure if I would tighten the oil screen with one. The torque will be too high and may cause damage to the threads of the engine casing. Obviously this would be a bad thing and cost £$£$ to rectify.
It wold be good for wheel hub nuts, pulley nuts, etc though.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Okay Ali, I get what you're saying. So, I can remove the bolt safely with an Impact Wrench. Then I would replace bolt with fingers n ratchet (normal way). Not messing with the damn torque wrench. Oh yea of little faith in torque wrenches...(me!)
Hmm..now is it worth it for me to buy a I.W.? Maybe...if Harborfreight has a good enough sale on one.
Oh, I did buy a "tin" (can :D ) of that PowerBlaster stuff. I'll spray it good and let it sit 24hrs., then B L A S T the blasted bolt agin upon its removal. Might get 'er off with a spanner alone :roll:
Just maybe ;)
Not doing the job just yet. Still have snow here. Soon.

If you have more input, please kick in. I have no love for this bolt! None!!!!!!!!!zip
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

A bit of engine oil on the rubber seal when refitting it will help it come off next time
starkdog24

Post by starkdog24 »

WhiteNoise wrote:I'm back and wondering about using a impact wrench after watching a few YouTubes last night. Yeah there are lots of videos, but I couldn't find one where an impact wrench was used to remove a motorcycle/scooter's oil screen bolt. Not finding one has me wondering if this impact tool is Too overpowering that it could possibly do more damage than good? The power goes head on in speed, correct? No adjusting the speed? So it goes....ZING! Off and on. No chance of stripping the soft bolt?

Tell me I'm over thinking this....Please! I picked this impact wrench at Lowes (price good comes with needed/proper size mm sockets and has a good warranty. It's electric seems bulky and heavy).
Now I digress :(

http://www.lowes.com/pd_28180-11241-690 ... facetInfo=

Any other info you can share to clear my clouded head up would be appreciated :ugeek:
Nice reviews, I really don't think you could go wrong with this wrench. I used a 20V impact Dewalt drill and it actually did a great job! Goodluck, and pull the trigger (literally) on your purchase. That's a good deal.
Patrick

2011 PCX125
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I wouldn't use an impact wrench for changing the oil. No need at all
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Ali, that's right! Yes, Good tip. I will do that! 8)

Patrick, thank you again. So, there are a mix of responses onboard now :roll: what are you're thoughts on them? I really could be called a tool a-holic...I need next to no excuse to buy another (on sale) to add to the family collection I have gathered and acquired from members. Plus, I'd love a go at Something New: An impact wrench. But, maybe Not on this "Mr. Softey" bolt.

OMGadosh!! You know what? I just "this sec" remembered that I bought a spare oil screen bolt kit. Fancy that! Oh...I am! prepared :D raise the flag!
But! That was only to be used IF by accident I rounded said stock one. Not from experimenting or from damaging it knowing that result. Oh, jibber jabber! Tis all this is! Bah! Onward...
Oh crap!! It's a backup for jiminey's sake! For a total screw-up! (No pun intended. Ha! Yes it was! )

Okay, so I may or may not buy the impact wrench. Frankly, I'm too sick right now to consider even going out! Time of year thing, a Sinus infection. So Never mind tooling. But..... I do like :D the one I linked ya'll to above. It would be Easy to get bolt out you say, but I would'nt use it to put it back in. Just too nervous.

2yous I know....Hit bolt head on (I say tap hard), then with spanner (how many sides?), turn a bit counter clockwise then back, then repeat? Was that your advice earlier in the life of this forum? More is better...words, I mean :D Share a few....more?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:Ali, that's right! Yes, Good tip. I will do that! 8)

Patrick, thank you again. So, there are a mix of responses onboard now :roll: what are you're thoughts on them? I really could be called a tool a-holic...I need next to no excuse to buy another (on sale) to add to the family collection I have gathered and acquired from members. Plus, I'd love a go at Something New: An impact wrench. But, maybe Not on this "Mr. Softey" bolt.

OMGadosh!! You know what? I just "this sec" remembered that I bought a spare oil screen bolt kit. Fancy that! Oh...I am! prepared :D raise the flag!
But! That was only to be used IF by accident I rounded said stock one. Not from experimenting or from damaging it knowing that result. Oh, jibber jabber! Tis all this is! Bah! Onward...
Oh crap!! It's a backup for jiminey's sake! For a total screw-up! (No pun intended. Ha! Yes it was! )

Okay, so I may or may not buy the impact wrench. Frankly, I'm too sick right now to consider even going out! Time of year thing, a Sinus infection. So Never mind tooling. But..... I do like :D the one I linked ya'll to above. It would be Easy to get bolt out you say, but I would'nt use it to put it back in. Just too nervous.

2yous I know....Hit bolt head on (I say tap hard), then with spanner (how many sides?), turn a bit counter clockwise then back, then repeat? Was that your advice earlier in the life of this forum? More is better...words, I mean :D Share a few....more?
Buy an electric impact wrench. They are great, just not for oil changes on alloy sumps.

I found the best way to the cover off wasn't a socket, not even a six sided one. Best thing was a good quality adjustable spanner tightened as much as possible.i.e fit and then tighten it as hard as possible
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

My rules of thumb with regards to an impact wrench:
- they're AWESOME for removing things
- NEVER tighten with them (unless you're drilling screws into masonry)
- Keep them away from my lug nuts, you gorilla

I have a Ryobi 18v impact wrench and have used it extensively when removing bolts for the first time on scooters I'm working on, especially with the variator and clutch. It's a lot easier to remove them with an impact wrench.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

^ Thanks for your input Dave. The more helpful info, the better ;)

>> This is to member Gossamer, who shared with us "his home made oil change kit" back on page 4 of this thread. Great photos too.

If you're reading this Gossamer, (I'm hoping you are) I'd like to thank you for your ideas, because I put them to use today! That's right, I set me up a kit like yours (minus the plastic bottle and hose) and got my Oil change done with No mess! (Maybe a drop or two, but that was it!)
So, thank ye fellow PCX'er wherever you are!! Ride back here someday. I Tip My Hat To You :P
image.jpg
image.jpg (145.33 KiB) Viewed 2451 times
P.S. My first time using my New Table Lift 8) Should have bought one Sooner. Love it! So does my back!
jkautz
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Metallic Black

Post by jkautz »

$1.00 for a new crush washer at my dealer lol

2015 PCX150 Metallic Black
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:^ Thanks for your input Dave. The more helpful info, the better ;)

>> This is to member Gossamer, who shared with us "his home made oil change kit" back on page 4 of this thread. Great photos too.

If you're reading this Gossamer, (I'm hoping you are) I'd like to thank you for your ideas, because I put them to use today! That's right, I set me up a kit like yours (minus the plastic bottle and hose) and got my Oil change done with No mess! (Maybe a drop or two, but that was it!)
So, thank ye fellow PCX'er wherever you are!! Ride back here someday. I Tip My Hat To You :P
image.jpg
P.S. My first time using my New Table Lift 8) Should have bought one Sooner. Love it! So does my back!

Get a vacuum pump as your next toy, sorry, tool. Makes oil changes ridiculously easy...
de dee
Year: 2011
Color: white

Re: How to: Oil Change for Honda PCX

Post by de dee »

loudgonzo wrote:
WhiteNoise wrote:Hello EddieC and thank you for sharing your "how to" with us :) I had my laptop nearby while doing the job.
May I just suggest that in your opening of 1, 2, 3, etc. steps, that you preface it with something like this:
protect floor if need be (i.e. corrugated cardboard or ?) Place bike on level surface, put bike on centerstand, warm up engine for several minutes, turn off bike "Before starting" the following draining process (then maybe explain why we warm her up first?)
I know a lot of us know all ^ already, but others do not, and some don't look at their manuals at all :(
I sure do like this section of the forum. It's nice folk like You that use their time and effort in helping the rest of us "get into it" and thus love our bikes even more! Soooo..... Cheers to You All!! ;)
why does the engine have to warm up first? How long should the engine warm up?
you change the oil hot so the particals do not settle, and it speeds up the oil when draining I change my oil after a long ride, over 10 miles,.