How-To: Adjust Combination Brake Cable

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

How-To: Adjust Combination Brake Cable

Post by EddieC »

Disclaimer - I am not a professional mechanic, so please do not take this as professional advice. I will not be responsible for any mishaps that may come of doing your own maintenance while using this guide, so please proceed with caution.

Tools necessary for the job are:
-10mm socket (extension not required) and socket wrench
-SHORT open ended 12mm wrench (was absolutely necessary in my experience, so I wouldn't even start this unless I had a short wrench)
-Philips head screwdriver
-plastic removing tools (very highly recommended for this job)

So my combi brake lever was a little loose causing it to sit like this:

This was a problem seeing that the brake light switch was not being depressed when the handle was released, resulting in my brake light staying constantly on. When pulling on the cable beyond the brake assembly, the slack went away, and the handle sits flush with the assembly, telling me that this cable is what needs adjustment.

For reasons unknown to me, honda thought it was a better idea to put the adjuster on the end of the cable inside the fairing, versus at the end connecting to the brake handle assembly where it would be easily accessable, like on every other motorcycle I have seen that uses cables. Oh well... they're not getting my money for labor =]

Remove 2 screws and release 2 clips to remove the front grill (plastic removing tools handy)

4 10mm bolts to remove the front screen

and then remove the front meter panel.

The meter panel is a major PITA to get off, so I feel that the plastic removing tools are very useful and necessary for removing this part. Start by placing a wedge between the meter panel and mount releasing the first hole from the first boss. Don't be afraid to man handle this piece. It is made of an entirely different plastic that is thick and flexible and will not crack under pressure.

After releasing the first hole, you will see a little lifted area where you will be able to fit your plastic removing tool with the 90 degree angle.

Once you get the tool between the panel and mount, slide it back to the other boss, and the entire panel will pop up on that side. Once you get the second boss released (on the same side of the meter panel) the panel will lift out of place.

After removing the meter panel this is what you see

See the adjuster?

Zoom in

Then, follow these directions to make the actual adjustment of the cable.

I found that my standard size wrenches were too long for this job. No matter what I did I was not able to use my standard length wrench for this job because the fairing stay kept getting in the way when trying to rotate the lock nut loose. You will have to have your whole hand inside the fairing stay with a very short 12mm wrench to be able to get the required clearance.

Hope this helps out! Cables stretch with time, so if this is an issue on your scooter dont be alarmed.... it's fairly normal. This service was done at 6,500 miles.

Thanks! and please let me know if you have any additions or comments!

Eddie
ese12105
Regular User
Regular User

Re: How-To Adjust Combination Brake Cable

Post by ese12105 »

Very awesome how to! I'm sure everyone will have to do tho sometime. Thanks for all the hard work!
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

hey no problem! Thanks for the support in my troubleshooting thread =] Feels good to have it all working properly again =]
ese12105
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ese12105 »

I bet! And there's always that satisfaction of fixing something yourself. Not to mention saving money!
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

Saving money is what causes me to do my own maintenance, but yes it is very rewarding in the end. I needed to spend $20 to get a new set of mini wrenches, but honda would have charged me their minimum of one hour at $80-90 to do this. Now that I have the wrenches, It wont cost me a dime to do it the next time around. :lol:
Teamtd11
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Teamtd11 »

Great guide, This is something we all might end up doing at some point.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Thanks for posting this, quite helpful :D
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

No problem dave! Thanks for setting up the link.
freewillie987

Post by freewillie987 »

EddieC wrote:Saving money is what causes me to do my own maintenance, but yes it is very rewarding in the end. I needed to spend $20 to get a new set of mini wrenches, but honda would have charged me their minimum of one hour at $80-90 to do this. Now that I have the wrenches, It wont cost me a dime to do it the next time around. :lol:
EddieC,

Where did you get those wrenches from?

I can't find them on the Bay. :(
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

Hey freewillie!

I wound up picking these wrenches up from the local Home Depot. I have Also seen them at Lowes and Walmart. I don't know if either of those places would be an option for you in Belgium. Every mom and pop shop I found didn't carry them, so I had to break down and buy them from a huge superstore.

I believe I saw a set on Amazon.com. Once I'm home and not on my phone I'll try to find you a link.

Also keep in mind of you can't easily find short wrenches, finding a spare 12mm wrench and cutting it in half might be a cheaper or easier option... And then you would have two!!
freewillie987

Post by freewillie987 »

EddieC wrote:Hey freewillie!

I wound up picking these wrenches up from the local Home Depot. I have Also seen them at Lowes and Walmart. I don't know if either of those places would be an option for you in Belgium. Every mom and pop shop I found didn't carry them, so I had to break down and buy them from a huge superstore.

I believe I saw a set on Amazon.com. Once I'm home and not on my phone I'll try to find you a link.

Also keep in mind of you can't easily find short wrenches, finding a spare 12mm wrench and cutting it in half might be a cheaper or easier option... And then you would have two!!
Here we don't have those shops. Wish I was in the USA right now :D . Next year I'm going to visit Orlando and Miami so I can pop in those megastores. Still I'll wait for your link.

But one thing is fine over here: We have a variety of beer :)
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

this is what I found by searching for "short 12mm wrench" on amazon.

Here is a whole set
http://www.amazon.com/K-Tool-Internatio ... 576&sr=8-5

or just 12 mm
http://www.amazon.com/SK-Hand-Tool-Supe ... 72&sr=8-12

Hope either of those work out for you! Please report back when the job is done!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

freewillie987 wrote:But one thing is fine over here: We have a variety of beer :)
And excellent chocolate, mayo on fries, Plastique Bertrand, the best race track in the world, Eddy Merckx and the Atomium. :)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

How-To Adjust Combination Brake Cable

Post by Alibally »

gn2 wrote:
freewillie987 wrote:But one thing is fine over here: We have a variety of beer :)
And excellent chocolate, mayo on fries, Plastique Bertrand, the best race track in the world, Eddy Merckx and the Atomium. :)
Sarcasm ?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

No, fact.
I like Belgium.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

STOP THE PRESSES

We've found something gn2 likes. This changes EVERYTHING!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

I got the cable adjusted at the 2500 service. The total service cost was £76 so it couldn't have taken long. They normally charge like a wounded rhino. :lol:
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

At that price I wonder if they checked the valve clearance....
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

gn2 wrote:
.... Plastique Bertrand.... :)
Oh dear - http://www.music-news.com/shownews.asp?nItemID=35607
rainburg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by rainburg »

Ever since GN2 posted his comments about Belgium, the song "Ça plane pour moi" has been coming back daily to haunt me. Imagine my surprise to find out that it is even on our iPod from some old album I'd forgotten about. Oh my!
2011 Honda PCX, 2007 Suzuki Burgman 400
2 Honda Civics, 5 bicycles and 1 more on order