How-To: Adjust Combination Brake Cable

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

HispanicSlammer

Re: How-To Adjust Combination Brake Cable

Post by HispanicSlammer »

I have a good set of tools but have never come across those plastic removal tools, please where did you source them?
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

There's a whole bunch on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... c+pry+tool

You'll probably want larger ones, the ones for electronics disassembly will be too small. I'd imagine the ones for the car av removal should work well though.

Harbor Freight tools has a cheap kit too, if one is nearby your house.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

yep! amazon is the way to go!
ese12105
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ese12105 »

Sure is! And I just tried out amazon's new local delivery option. If they have the item in stock and you live near one of their warehouses, you can have your item that same day. Ordered in the morning and had my package at my doorstep just after I got home from work. Pretty neat. And only $10 for my order.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Timely fix & Excellent "how to/photoshoot" EddieC.... and guess what? I've got the tools Yeh! :P
You had a rough time at the start, but success was yours in the end plus savings in the pocket! Be proud ;) Thank ya!
oh, that hidden adjuster :x but it does prompt one to do other mods once "in" there i.e. louder horn, glove box socket etc., etc., etc. I got some of that "to do list" stuff calling my name, but it's still summer :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

How is adjusting the “combination brake cable” different than adjusting the rear brake cable?

A few days after getting my scoot, I discovered the parking brake wasn’t holding, so I adjusted the rear brake cable at the rear tire. It took a couple of adjusts before the parking brake held the bike snuggly without being too hard to set. Did it all with my fingers, no tools involved.

Was there a different adjustment I should have made? Is the combination brake cable separate from the rear brake cable?
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

the combi brake cable is just the link from the brake lever to the mechanism that actuates both brakes. To adjust the rear brake effectiveness, such as parking brake effectiveness, you would want to adjust the nut at the end of the push rod on the rear brake. Sounds like thats what you did. =]
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

Thought posting here would be ideal since my question is regarding the CBS.

My CBS wasnt great or even made that much different without applying front brake too but after a service, I'm sure they adjusted mine so now the CBS brake was alot better, required less pressure and actual stops the bike.

After 2 weeks it seems it may have loosen as the sharp braking has been reduced to 'a bit better than factory'.

Can the % of brake power be adjust for CBS, i.e. i dont know what ratio is it but i'm assuming its maybe 40/60 front/rear?

I havent checked my CBS fluid yet, just worried that if i adjust again and it feel loose again within a month, I dont want to keep at it and stretch the cable.

I commute on my bike daily.

thanks
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

The rear brake has an adjuster on the back too, if you tighten it, you'll get more rear brake than front, effectively adjusting the ratio. The cable stretched a lot on mine too -- you're probably feeling the rear brake cable, rather than the cbs cable stretching. It should get better and stay stretched after the 2nd or 3rd adjustment.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gohjohan

Post by gohjohan »

Thanks for the photo for the plastic removing tools. I bought a set yesterday because I now know what they look like
BubK
Year: 2016
Color: Red

Re: How-To: Adjust Combination Brake Cable

Post by BubK »

I have this problem but I can’t see your photos and am clueless how to remove the components you describe. Is there a way to get this post with the picture visible?
BK
BubK

Post by BubK »

BubK wrote:I have this problem but I can’t see your photos and am clueless how to remove the components you describe. Is there a way to get this post with the picture visible?

Never mind, I got an add-on in Chrome to post the images. Thanks for this tip.
BK
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

What add-on for Chrome did you find that can unlock unpaid photobucket images please
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

homie wrote:What add-on for Chrome did you find that can unlock unpaid photobucket images please
My guess is "none".

There is an add-on for phpBB though that backs up linked images and automatically re-inserts them if the original disappears (we used to use it when I was the admin at the Cambridge in Colour site).

Might be handy here.
BubK

Post by BubK »

It's called Photobucket Hotlink Fix. I don't know how it works but I got the pictures I need to take on this task and that was all I was hoping for. Good luck to others. I haven't found any other posts that addresses the rear brake lever problem as directly as this one.

If you've tried this before and it didn't work, the add-on mentions a problem that has been resolved. I'm using Windows 10, if that matters, I don't know.
BK
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

BubK wrote:It's called Photobucket Hotlink Fix.
Ah Ha! thanks for the follow up. This is good news and the google chrome extension puts a thumb in the eye of photobucket as well it should.

WORKS! I can now see all the blocked images in this thread 8) I guess you need to be using google chrome or firefox to get use of the extension. Very simple just click add to chrome. :D Do you want me to put up the stand alone post and try to get admin to sticky it? Don't want to take credit for this discovery but I am taking it to my other forums immediately.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/hotlink
BubK

Post by BubK »

Whatever helps poor saps like me when the only relevant post I'm aware of for this problem won't give them the photos they need is fine with me.
BK
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

BubK wrote:Whatever helps poor saps like me when the only relevant post I'm aware of for this problem won't give them the photos they need is fine with me.
I apologize for the lack of brake repair posts and video's. You won't find much in my YT channel either about brakes because of liability. I refer you to the service manual and perhaps others should too. Do you have the SM for your scoot because we can get you that :D

MANY THANKS to you for fixing the photobucket issue man! Cheers going up across the boards :lol:
BubK

Post by BubK »

The SM I've found on the internet doesn't seem very detailed and I can't save it as a pdf, which is my preference in case I don't have a good signal. I'd appreciate whatever help I can get. I'm real green at such projects but I'm willing to give it a shot.
BK
BubK

Post by BubK »

I have a 2016 pcx150 but I don't know if there are any significant changes between model years. In others words, does one SM serve all?
BK