The Honda PCX / Honda Forza / SH Forums

Your predominant source of information for the Honda PCX 125, Honda PCX ESP, Honda PCX 150, and Forza. Now featuring a SH300i / SH150i subforum!
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:37 pm 
Offline
Regular User
Regular User

Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:49 pm
Posts: 283
Location: Asturias, Spain
It's so good to have this how-to. It'll be useful once my warranty is over.
I talked about it with my dealer's workshop supervisor, and he told me that the valve adjustment schedule was quite exaggerated, in their opinion, and that they would carry it out if, on hearing the engine, they considered it necessary. This makes me think that Maddiedog is right. You hear clicking, go ahead, otherwise it's quite likely that everything is within specs.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:27 am 
Offline
What's a wot?
What's a wot?
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:37 pm
Posts: 8035
Location: Staggering back to the centre of the universe
Cascanciu wrote:
It's so good to have this how-to. It'll be useful once my warranty is over.
I talked about it with my dealer's workshop supervisor, and he told me that the valve adjustment schedule was quite exaggerated, in their opinion, and that they would carry it out if, on hearing the engine, they considered it necessary. This makes me think that Maddiedog is right. You hear clicking, go ahead, otherwise it's quite likely that everything is within specs.



I agree - use a bit of common sense is best. Sometimes its best to leave things alone and worry about something else.

If the tappets become noisy then the valve clearance is probably increasing due to general wear, but if there is no change in the sound the clearance could possibly be decreasing. Less likely but the valve seats could be sinking etc. and you'd probably notice a drop in performance. Not very likely at all really.


So if its running right and sounding right - leave it be?

_________________
Going through a "period of clarity"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:45 am 
Offline
Regular User
Regular User

Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:49 pm
Posts: 283
Location: Asturias, Spain
I, personally, will ask the mechanic to do the valve adjustment at the 4000 kms service, just as a precaution. Sometimes, vehicles come out of the production line with slight flaws. I have noticed this myself in my brother's VW. Golf. I noticed something weird on the steering and realized it was a wheel alignment thing. The dealer took care.

After the first adjustment, I'll probably do them every 5000-7000 kms or when they click.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:57 am 
Offline
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:04 pm
Posts: 3479
Location: Marietta, GA
Color: White
qed wrote:
So if its running right and sounding right - leave it be?


That's what I stick to with my PCX and all my other vehicles, and haven't had a problem yet.

qed wrote:
If the tappets become noisy then the valve clearance is probably increasing due to general wear, but if there is no change in the sound the clearance could possibly be decreasing. Less likely but the valve seats could be sinking etc. and you'd probably notice a drop in performance. Not very likely at all really.

I've never heard of valve clearance decreasing, usually when clearances are too tight, they were just improperly adjusted initially. If you think about it, those valves won't tighten themselves. ;)

_________________
Current status: Getting sassed by a toddler that needs a nap, but is too tired to take one
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (Takegawa 170cc big bore kit), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:31 pm 
Offline
What's a wot?
What's a wot?
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:37 pm
Posts: 8035
Location: Staggering back to the centre of the universe
maddiedog wrote:
I've never heard of valve clearance decreasing, usually when clearances are too tight, they were just improperly adjusted initially. If you think about it, those valves won't tighten themselves. ;)


It can happen but it's rare and due to wear, as is increasing clearance. Just mentioned it as someone will pick it up and run with it if I didn't.

It's worse really as there are real signs of it other than a loss of power and eventually you can burn a valve out

But as you rightly say its an irrelevance really on the PCX running on proper fuel

_________________
Going through a "period of clarity"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 am 
Offline
New Member
New Member

Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:58 am
Posts: 1
Hello, My name is Jim, I'm new here and a new PCX150 owner. I almost didn't buy it when I found out how complicated the valve adjustment was (my Vino 125 takes about 15 min, very little plastic to remove). It still has less than 100 miles on it, I plan to adjust the valves at 1000 miles, then at 5000 miles, then see how things go. My Vino 125 says to check the adjustment every 3000 miles, but I have over 15,000 miles on it, and have adjusted them once.

I have a question about the sealant. Is this something you can buy at Honda? If not, does anyone have a brand name or part number for it?

Also, just an observation. I have been riding motorcycles and scooters for 45 years, and have had 41 of them. I currently have 7, counting this new PCX150. I have always adjusted the valves to the loose end of spec, and have without fail found that as the valves wear, they tighten up. The cams, rockers, and adjusters do not wear, there is no metal to metal contact between them. What wears is the valve and valve seat inside the combustion chamber. As the valve and seat wears, the valve gets recessed farther and farther up into the seat, allowing the end of the valve stem to get pushed farther out, which decreases the clearance. I have always done all my own work on my bikes, and never seen valve clearances get looser. If they did get looser, the valves would not open all the way, and you would notice a severe decrease in performance before any damage was done. But when they get tighter, the valves do not close all the way, not only causing a major loss in performance, but since the edges of the valves do not contact the seat, they cannot transfer heat to the seat, resulting in burned valves. Wondering if anyone else has any experience or opinions on this. Thanks. Jim.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:38 am 
Offline
What's a wot?
What's a wot?
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:37 pm
Posts: 8035
Location: Staggering back to the centre of the universe
Its a mix of loosening/tightening for me but in general its check and leave alone if in tolerance. If it sounds right, runs right and hasn't done a whopper mileage I generally leave it.

Had a period of tightening valve clearance in my Mini Cooper when unleaded fuel came out due to seat wear. Just kept an eye on it and eventually changed the seats/valves

My oilhead boxer cup on the other hand had a period of loosening up until it stabilised. This is the only bike I fiddle with really as I like to keep the gaps the same on both sides.

_________________
Going through a "period of clarity"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:48 am 
Offline
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:04 pm
Posts: 3479
Location: Marietta, GA
Color: White
suitcasejefferson wrote:
Hello, My name is Jim, I'm new here and a new PCX150 owner. I almost didn't buy it when I found out how complicated the valve adjustment was (my Vino 125 takes about 15 min, very little plastic to remove). It still has less than 100 miles on it, I plan to adjust the valves at 1000 miles, then at 5000 miles, then see how things go. My Vino 125 says to check the adjustment every 3000 miles, but I have over 15,000 miles on it, and have adjusted them once.

I have a question about the sealant. Is this something you can buy at Honda? If not, does anyone have a brand name or part number for it?

Also, just an observation. I have been riding motorcycles and scooters for 45 years, and have had 41 of them. I currently have 7, counting this new PCX150. I have always adjusted the valves to the loose end of spec, and have without fail found that as the valves wear, they tighten up. The cams, rockers, and adjusters do not wear, there is no metal to metal contact between them. What wears is the valve and valve seat inside the combustion chamber. As the valve and seat wears, the valve gets recessed farther and farther up into the seat, allowing the end of the valve stem to get pushed farther out, which decreases the clearance. I have always done all my own work on my bikes, and never seen valve clearances get looser. If they did get looser, the valves would not open all the way, and you would notice a severe decrease in performance before any damage was done. But when they get tighter, the valves do not close all the way, not only causing a major loss in performance, but since the edges of the valves do not contact the seat, they cannot transfer heat to the seat, resulting in burned valves. Wondering if anyone else has any experience or opinions on this. Thanks. Jim.

Welcome, Jim!

You should use HondaBond HT. I've had good luck ordering from these folks in the past, but your Honda dealer should also be able to get it for you: http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/83/215/941/-/-/843727/Pro-Honda-Hondabond-HT-3.5-oz.

_________________
Current status: Getting sassed by a toddler that needs a nap, but is too tired to take one
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (Takegawa 170cc big bore kit), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:07 pm 
Offline
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:27 pm
Posts: 1393
Location: Syracuse, NY, USA 13045
Year: 2013 PCX150
maddiedog wrote:
Mine were out straight from the factory, at first service. They've been behaving since, though.

The tolerances for the valves on the PCX are HUGE, so you don't have much to worry about unless you hear clicking. ;)

Yes except that valves always wear tighter, not looser. If you neglect the valve adjustment long enough, the valves can get so tight that the bike will start running bad and could burn a valve.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:41 pm 
Offline
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:04 pm
Posts: 3479
Location: Marietta, GA
Color: White
Hmm... Hondas have a rocker between the cam and the valve. Wouldn't the rocker wear down too, loosening the valve? There's more to wear in the valvetrain than just the valves and lashes.

Saying valves always wear tighter is silly. My CR-V's valves were always on the loose end of the spectrum. I think it's a YMMV thing.

_________________
Current status: Getting sassed by a toddler that needs a nap, but is too tired to take one
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (Takegawa 170cc big bore kit), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:02 am 
Offline
New Member
New Member

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:19 pm
Posts: 3
Thinking about getting the 150, is valve adjustment every 4000 miles on it also? With ALL the crap you have to dismantle to do this I think IF I purchase this bike I'll let the dealer do such, without guesses. What does a U.S. dealer charge for such?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:11 am 
Offline
Regular User
Regular User
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:25 pm
Posts: 472
Location: Hollywood/Los Angeles CA USA
Dealers in CA charge between $300 and $400 for a service. You could probably save a lot of coin by removing the plastics yourself and having the dealer do the adjustment only, but honestly removing the plastics is the hardest part. To do this yourself will only cost you $2 for some gasket sealant. If you're in GA maybe maddiedog would help walk you through it the first time.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:13 am 
Offline
Regular User
Regular User
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:25 pm
Posts: 472
Location: Hollywood/Los Angeles CA USA
And yes the valve adjustment is every 2500 miles for both the 125 and 150, but you will probably be fine doing it every 4000 miles after your initial adjustment


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:32 pm 
Offline
New Member
New Member

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:19 pm
Posts: 3
Thanks for the additional info, the amount I would save in gas with the 150 would be probably be consumed with a dealer valve adjustment vs. a bike that got 45/50 miles per gallon that has NON adjustable valves. Just thinking ahead.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:24 am 
Offline
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:04 pm
Posts: 3479
Location: Marietta, GA
Color: White
The valve adjustment isn't really bad at all. Honestly, you could take the Yamaha Vino / Honda Silverwing / etc approach and ignore the valves completely unless they become a problem. After reading up on Silverwings a lot (just bought one), most people don't touch the valves after the first adjustment. People have checked 100k+ miles later and been fine.

I'm not saying you SHOULD neglect to check your valves after the first service, I'm just saying you COULD and it would probably be fine.

_________________
Current status: Getting sassed by a toddler that needs a nap, but is too tired to take one
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (Takegawa 170cc big bore kit), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:55 am 
Offline
New Member
New Member

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:04 pm
Posts: 23
i just tried this and i think i messed it up. The intake was about .13 and the exhaust was good. I adjusted and closed it to .10 on feeler gauge, tightened up, and put it back together. Started fine, but after about a minute it started to knock.

Since it took me while to take it apart, and put it back together, (have the givi e370 box installed), i decided to just drive it to the dealer and just let them do it. It was too hot in garage and i would have probably done something worse trying to take it apart again.

If i try again, i will make sure to start and test BEFORE putting all sides and panels back on. Dealer is overloaded with work, so it'll be about 2 weeks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:43 pm 
Offline
Regular User
Regular User
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:25 pm
Posts: 472
Location: Hollywood/Los Angeles CA USA
Man that sucks. If its going to take that long why not grab it from the dealer and open it up again in the morning when it's nice and cool? If you have all the plastics off and double check your work and it still knocks, you could bring it back to the dealer without the plastics on and that would also save you a bunch of labor at the dealer. It may even get you outta there faster. Just the fact that you were able to ride it holds well. Did you notice a decrease in power?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:56 pm 
Offline
New Member
New Member

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:04 pm
Posts: 23
no loss in power. dealer about 12 miles away, and even drove it wot for a little bit, doing around 65mph. the knocking is heard when stopped, can't hear or notice anything else while driving.

i think it'l be best just leave it there, get it done, and take it even slower next time i dig into it, maybe i didn't tighten the nut all the way down, or something else that i just simply didn't catch.

i did start in the morning by the way, i'm in texas so its already 85 in the morning!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:26 pm 
Offline
Regular User
Regular User

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:39 pm
Posts: 130
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA
Where can I find a feeler gauge? The do-it-yourself valve adjustment would save me a ton of money and make owning this bike extremely money efficient, despite the risks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:07 pm 
Offline
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:54 pm
Posts: 6072
Location: NE Scotland
Year: SV650AL7
Color: The correct one
Feeler guages are standard tools, you should find them in any decent tool shop.

_________________
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Like what you see here? Buy the admin a beer! Donate at the link below:

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!