How-To: Valve Adjustment for Honda PCX

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Re: How to: Valve Adjustment for Honda PCX

Post by maddiedog »

Luther, was the dealer you took it to an authorized Honda dealer?

The main important thing the first service is the oil change. The PCX will operate with the valves out of whack, and the operable range of the valves is huge.

I think the important thing for someone unfamiliar with maintenance is to find a reputable Honda-authorized shop that's familiar with your vehicle to make sure they don't screw something up while servicing. My PCX was the first one the local shop had serviced, and they broke my lower-left fairing while taking it off. They replaced the fairing for free as they should have, but needless to say, I went to another dealer that moved more PCXes for my warranty work from then on out.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
sebaviaan

Post by sebaviaan »

thanks a lot, just used your how-to for the 4000 km valve adjustment (although my pcx is at 6500 km).
The clearances were not realy out of spec but at the lower limit.

I only don't understand what the 5 second start is supposed to do.

Thanks again,

Sebastiaan
The Netherlands
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

No problem! The 5 second start is to use up the residual fuel that's in the fuel line before you disconnect it.

Glad it came of good use to you!

Eddie
sebaviaan

Post by sebaviaan »

I skipped this step, so maybe I'm missing something that may prevent what I'm about to say. But my opinion: when you fire up the engine the whole point of waiting a night to cool down is spoiled.
Heat transfer will have its effect in the valves even in 5 seconds since the combustion temperature is very high. You should at least disconnect the spark plug cap if this method is still preferable.

Spilling a little fuel does no harm (if you're not smoking while it happens).
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

Well the Honda service manual calls for that step, so I will do it to mine. But hey, it's your bike and your choice.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

sebaviaan wrote: (if you're not smoking while it happens).
Smoking not a problem.
It'a almost impossible to ignite petrol with a lit cigarette.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

gn2 wrote:
Smoking not a problem.
So all those action movies with explosions were a lie?! :lol:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Cracksta wrote:
gn2 wrote:
Smoking not a problem.
So all those action movies with explosions were a lie?! :lol:
Things aren't always true in movies
sebaviaan

Post by sebaviaan »

Rephrase: the truth is usually not in movies (however, youtube might prove to differ)
sedli

Post by sedli »

Ahoj z České republiky, seřizuji ventily na mém skútru, který má najeto 15000 kilometrů.
Odpojil jsem palivové čerpadlo, otočil klíčkem a ukazatel stavu paliva blikal, je to správně?
Protočil jsem startér na 5 sekund a zítra se vrhnu na seřízení ventilů, ale u hlavy válce je hrozně málo místa, každopádně děkuji za tento skvělý návod. Sedli.
Live to Ride - Ride to Live
Honda PCX 1.generation; 26000 Km
tomtic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by tomtic »

Google Translation for above ........
"Hello from the Czech Republic, Adjusting of valves on my scooter, which has traveled 15,000 km.
I disconnected the fuel pump, turned the key and the fuel gauge flicker, is that correct?
I rolled my starter for 5 seconds and tomorrow throw to adjust valves, but the cylinder head is severely limited space, anyway, thank you for this great guide. Sat."
sedli

Post by sedli »

Sorry, I obviously first text translated into English, but the program in my computer after copying the converted text back to czech and that I did not notice, sorry, Peter.
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

Hey Peter. The flashing of the fuel gauge is perfectly normal when the fuel pump is disconnected. How did the adjustment go?
sedli

Post by sedli »

Hello, today I bought a gauge valve, I tried to get a gauge of 0.02 mm after deduction, but there is not. All gauges only after the deduction of 0.05 mm. For valves, but tolerance, so it's okay. Now in our country under a cloud when the sun will shine a little, pull a scooter out of the garage and adjust valves. Later this weekend I want it done. But I have yet to get lesser gola kit. I can not allow my head set - no place.
sedli

Post by sedli »

Yesterday I checked the valves. I did not have it adjusted. Were within tolerance. Worse folding plastic back on the scooter. From the lower white plastic handles dropped my pair, but plastic screws holding on, so it's okay. Even back white plastic in the shape of a boomerang does not fit me as before, there is a gap.
OriginalRocket
Regular User
Regular User

Post by OriginalRocket »

It is annoying to check the valves every 2500 miles. My intake is always withing spec, but my exhaust is always just out of spec loose. I change the oil when I check the valves since the bike has to sit cold, and takes a while to remove the plastics.
Spleege

Post by Spleege »

I did my first check at 2000 miles and the valves were spot on. I waited until 4500 miles to check again and (after the fucking 2 hour plastic removal) the valves were still on. I started to think i might wait until maybe 15,000 to look at them again. fuel injected, water cooled....its all making sense now. these are great motors. rock solid in a time of shitty deals.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Spleege wrote:I did my first check at 2000 miles and the valves were spot on. I waited until 4500 miles to check again and (after the fucking 2 hour plastic removal) the valves were still on. I started to think i might wait until maybe 15,000 to look at them again. fuel injected, water cooled....its all making sense now. these are great motors. rock solid in a time of shitty deals.

Couldn't agree more
SmellyTofu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SmellyTofu »

sebaviaan wrote:I skipped this step, so maybe I'm missing something that may prevent what I'm about to say. But my opinion: when you fire up the engine the whole point of waiting a night to cool down is spoiled.
Heat transfer will have its effect in the valves even in 5 seconds since the combustion temperature is very high. You should at least disconnect the spark plug cap if this method is still preferable.
Perhaps starve the engine of fuel the night before and then let it sit overnight. That way when you do go to check the valve clearance, it'd be 1) starved of fuel and 2) be stone cold.
Marko

Post by Marko »

Hi all, been following this site for a while, but this is my first post.
I have just adjusted my valves at 5000 miles (actually 8000 km, as I live in Portugal) by following EddieC 's instructions and photos. This is the first time for adjustment, as the dealer said they don't do till 5000 miles. All seemed to go OK, but when testing after, the motor sounded rough and had a noise from the rear right of the scoot, seemed to be coming from the exhaust, but not sure and the motor stopped when stopping for a junction (European model has idle stop system, but it was not switched on). I have taken all apart again but can't find anything obvious. It seems to me to possibly be fuel starvation, but can't see a reason why. Could there be air in the fuel system after disconnecting the fuel pipe? Does anyone have any ideas?
Ex.Honda PCX 125, (Red 2012) Now PCX 150 (2015 Grey). Honda VFR V-TEC, Quadzilla (SMC) 300 XLC (quad bike), Yamaha YFM 350 Raptor Quad