How-To: Valve Adjustment for Honda PCX

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Re: How-To: Valve Adjustment for Honda PCX

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Ok I found the specs.
If no torque spec is specified these are safe specs for almost all general purpose fasteners.
Fasteners with 6mm threads
- 8 Nm or 6 ft/lbs
Fasteners with 8mm threads
- 20 Nm or 15 ft/lbs
Fasteners with 10mm threads
- 40 Nm or 29 ft/lbs
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

FYI: did my first valve check at 500 miles ( out of spec both were tight)and
second valve check the other day at 1100miles still in spec from my first adjustment ;)
Lingwood
Year: 2012
Color: White

Post by Lingwood »

Great how-to guide! Just followed it to do mine, 4080 miles on the clock, both clearances were 0.05mm under spec.

Lots of fiddling to get the plastic off, but took my time with a plastic tyre lever to persuade the stubborn bits ;)

Little smear of Pro Seal Black Silicone Instant Gasket and the jobs a good 'un :D
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

I'm going to have the 1st and maybe most of the initial years servicing down at a dealer - but I'm looking forward to guides on how to remove the plastics on the new model (and/or a service manual comes out). Mine seems to be very efficient regarding fuel consumption, allowing for max 40mph riding so far and only having done 100 miles. I'm going by the indicated mpg of 130+ and still having 1bar+ with half tank to start with). Is fuel consumption a good indication valve adjustment is good?
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

Since I wrecked the scooter and have to remove and add on all the panels anyways, I decided to do this as well. Have fuel line disconnected now just going to sit it overnight with rag over the hole so the engine can cool
ImageImage
pcxpower
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Post by pcxpower »

Really interesting thread, and I'm subscribing!! :D :D :D :D :D
2015 Honda PCX 125
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

Hello everyone, First I want to thank you all for this valuable how to thread. It has enabled me to tackle the valve adjustment job with confidence. Here is my experience with this job. My PCX is a 2013, and I had Honda do the first service at 630miles at which time they checked the valves. My scooter now has 2600 miles on it and I did the valves but found the intake was .002 inch, which I set to .004 and the exhaust was .006 which I set to .009 inch. I am stunned that they were that far off. I checked, re checked then manually rotated the engine counterclockwise and checked again. They are bang on at .004 intake and .009 exhaust. As a side note the engine was stone cold and everything was tightened to the specified torque.
Question....Now I notice I have more of a "tick" sound from the lifters as the engine runs. Is this normal to some extent? Or am I Missing something? It is not a loud tick, just noticeable. Thank You in advance. :D
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

MikeP wrote:Now I notice I have more of a "tick" sound from the lifters as the engine runs. Is this normal to some extent? Or am I Missing something? It is not a loud tick, just noticeable :D
Oh man, you are not inspiring any confidence in me to do this right either o_O I don't want to do this, I don't want Honda doing it, the bike is running great but it has to be done. I hope you don't have to go back in brother, I will be watching the replies on this one.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

MikeP wrote:Hello everyone, First I want to thank you all for this valuable how to thread. It has enabled me to tackle the valve adjustment job with confidence. Here is my experience with this job. My PCX is a 2013, and I had Honda do the first service at 630miles at which time they checked the valves. My scooter now has 2600 miles on it and I did the valves but found the intake was .002 inch, which I set to .004 and the exhaust was .006 which I set to .009 inch. I am stunned that they were that far off. I checked, re checked then manually rotated the engine counterclockwise and checked again. They are bang on at .004 intake and .009 exhaust. As a side note the engine was stone cold and everything was tightened to the specified torque.
Question....Now I notice I have more of a "tick" sound from the lifters as the engine runs. Is this normal to some extent? Or am I Missing something? It is not a loud tick, just noticeable. Thank You in advance. :D
Maybe your just "in tune" to the valve noise now...
Are you sure you got them to torque specs? Sure you were at TDC?
If your in doubt recheck your clearances and rotate the engine a couple of times and recheck again...
better safe than sorry :cry:
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Screw you Dashreddar and your ability to check your valves with ease on a whim with your cosmetic modifications!
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by MikeP »

Thanks dassreddar, I think you are right. I am more in tune with the noise. I know i was TDC, I know I set them to spec and proper torque. So they have to be right. I think they were so tight before that it was a drastic change. The intake was .002" and the exhaust .006" I set them to .004" and .009".
I remember when I took the bike to the dealer for a 600 mile check. I rode it there and picked it up 6 hrs later. The engine was not cold when they set the valves. I think that is why they were so far out of wack.
I think I will check the valves again just for the heck of it and confirm my understanding. Then I will report back.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Hot or cold, shouldn't the valves remain in or out of spec, not be in one way and vastly out the other?
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

They should be checked cold. The gap closes up a bit when it's hot due to expansion of the metal, so if the clearances are too tight cold then once it gets hot there might be a chance of the valves not closing properly resulting in poor compression and if left uncheck burned out valves.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

If it's ticking you either:
- Did not secure your head gasket properly, and are hearing the engine way more because sound is escaping (you'll start leaking oil a LOT too). I did this on accident once when servicing Mel46's PCX.
- Did not properly measure or tighten your valves.

Don't ride it if it's ticking. Fix it or take it to a shop if you can't figure it out.

The valve job is way, WAY over-worried about on the PCX. I worried way too much about my valves initially, and followed Honda's schedule without questioning it, and really haven't had to adjust my valves other than the first time. There's lots of people on the road that haven't even looked at their valves. Most of you will be more than fine getting it initially checked, then only getting it looked at if the bike starts ticking, has trouble starting, or seems to lack power. You won't see any of those symptoms until the valves have had 10s of thousands of miles of use, so don't worry, and just go ride. :)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

maddiedog wrote: The valve job is way, WAY over-worried about on the PCX. I worried way too much about my valves initially, and followed Honda's schedule without questioning it, and really haven't had to adjust my valves other than the first time. There's lots of people on the road that haven't even looked at their valves. Most of you will be more than fine getting it initially checked, then only getting it looked at if the bike starts ticking, has trouble starting, or seems to lack power. You won't see any of those symptoms until the valves have had 10s of thousands of miles of use, so don't worry, and just go ride. :)
Agreed... mine was educational and fun for me but if you're not wanting to know more about the mechanics of the PCX it could be a colossal waste of time.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... oyVAcpcIwl
frog13
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: white

Post by frog13 »

This thread is great info! .
Tribpreper
Banned User
Banned User

Post by Tribpreper »

There is a pattern here;
Valves first checked at 600 miles are usually reported at too tight.
Valves first checked at thousands of miles are usually in spec.

Makes me wonder if Honda planned the factory gap as tight knowing it would loosen....
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by MikeP »

Well I have since checked my valve lash since my last post and I found that it was exactly to spec as per the manual. I believe Maddiedog and many of the others on this forum are correct in saying that we over worry about this. My concerns about "ticking" was simply the result of a hightened awarness of the sound. Hence I pulled her a part to check again. In summary I am "in tune" with the sound of my machine and if something were not right, I would sence it. At this point I am at 8000km and she runs like a Rolls Royce. :D
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Next to a silly rev limiter video on my youtube channel the Honda PCX valve clearance tutorial continues to draw the best viewership. Much to my surprise many around the world do worry about those clearances wanting to know more according to time spent watching analysis. Unless people just want to watch boring video and not actually do the job this video is serving it's purpose for 2015 PCX

I look forward to taking the PCX down again some day but for this years upcoming riding season... we are good to go :)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

TEST!
Bravo homie! Excellent tuitorial video. Did you miss anything? I doubt it! ;)
Yeah, you took all that apart only to find your valves within spec. One of those weird moments when you're taken back :roll: You're happy it's all good, you grin, shake your head 'n say, what the heck! Really? Cool!
You're a Patient Man. You can work on WN anytime! :D Thanks for sharing!
(Bookmarking. I may try this one day. But then again, why should I? Yours were fine. Our White scoots were bought around the same time 'n all. Bet mine r good :?
"Let it Go....."
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You