How-To: Install a windshield

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

ms_sparky

Re: How-To: Install a windshield

Post by ms_sparky »

Arizona winters are pretty mild and it's not my only transportation, so I don't usually ride during the rare times when it rains.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Where you you / qed is from, it's only not raining when it's about to rain. I think that's why. :lol:
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Thank you for the How To. Got the changeover done in about 15 minutes and one beer working slowly. Only change I would suggest is to use a nut driver to reinstall the new windshield. Reduces the chance of over torquing. Compared to my Burgman Givi install, this was a walk in the park.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Maddiedog, my wife says her mirrors are a little short and I was thinking about the extender kit you had purchased with your windscreen. Can you post a picture of the kit so that we can see what it looks like and if it might solve some of the view problems.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

I'm not sure if I have it still -- the kit extends the mirrors horizontally away from the center of the bars, not vertically.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I didn't know where to post this so this seemed like as good a place as any. I bought my wife a Givi windshield but she says that it is still too short. Before I go out and buy yet another, taller, windshield I thought I would experiment with what I have. When you see this picture keep in mind that I am still perfecting it. We have driven around town with it on though and it stayed exactly where I put it. I have clear Duct tape on it just as a precaution and to smooth the wind flow in the front. Otherwise, it is really not needed. Don't laugh. It works, and works well. I am thinking of tainting it but that may not be necessary. It will depend on her preferences. And now for the picture:
Notice the new height.JPG
Notice the new height.JPG (166.23 KiB) Viewed 4419 times
Comments??
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

If you don't want to feel and enjoy the physical sensation of moving through air, drive a car.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

It has more to do with not being battered by the wind. We love to ride but my wife is not use to the constant pounding of wind, so I am trying to make riding more enjoyable for her. She has only ridden dirt bikes and is new to street riding, especially for extended time, like 2 or 3 hours.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Your determination to make your wife comfortable is admirable. I'm a tad skeptical though...being steadfast at speed. Yup, I read that it's still a work in progress. I'll be patient. How many inches in height did you add? Looks to be similar to the tall Givi. No need to tint (imo).
Maybe an idea like this will give some tips? http://www.webbikeworld.com/laminar-lip/
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Now THAT article is interesting! I haven't seen that one before. Today I went to the Japanese website someone here suggested (http://japan.webike.net/) and found an item there called MRA X - creen Mounting kit. I like it. I ordered it and am going to continue my experiments with it when it arrives. I just love new toys! By the way, someone asked how tall this add on was. It is 10 1/2 inches taller than the standard Givi windscreen I have on there now. It could very well be as tall as the tall Givi. I didn't compare them. I just know that it is a lot cheaper. Oh, the picture I have attached is what the unit would look like if I ordered the plexiglass insert with it, for about $140 plus shipping, or about $180. One of the other pictures shows just the kit. The kit came out to about $44 counting shipping. Now you see why I chose just the kit.
xca-c-3.jpg
xca-c-3.jpg (109.5 KiB) Viewed 4398 times
xcc-2.jpg
xcc-2.jpg (41 KiB) Viewed 4398 times
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Instead of ordering the std givi and spoiler kit and plexiglass to make a spoiler, wouldnt it be cheaper just to buy the tall givi, or am I missing the point?
tenpastnine

Post by tenpastnine »

Taz wrote:Instead of ordering the std givi and spoiler kit and plexiglass to make a spoiler, wouldn't it be cheaper just to buy the tall givi, or am I missing the point?
I don't think Mel intended to extend the screen and is only doing so as it is his wifes preference to have a taller screen.

I am not sure how much the sort givi screen was but the kit cost is nearly $100 less then replacing the screen for a tall one, plus it will be removable or adjustable if he was to ride the scooter and had a different preference.

But yes it would have been simpler and possibly cheaper to buy the taller givi screen in the first place if he knew, he might come up with something great!
We need inventive people like Mel or we would never get any mods!
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

The laminar lip on the lower windshield will likely look better than the tall Givi too. ;)

More windscreen is definitely better. I enjoy long rides far more when I'm almost entirely hidden behind a huge windshield.
tenpastnine

Post by tenpastnine »

I just got my Ermax +25 in the post today!! :D
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

8) Congrats! Happy Weekend! Let's see it when you've got it installed :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Yes, take some pictures of that Ermax. I had thought about getting one of those before I purchased the Giving but I hadn't seen any reviews on it. When I purchased the Giving I was trying to find a screen that would give my wife wind protection. I thought that size would be adequate for her since she is only 5' tall. When I put it on it looked so nice that I was surprised when she told me that she was still being hit hard by the wind. Since I had already purchased one replacement windscreen, I didn't want to have to purchase yet another one that she may or may not like. So, I started experimenting. I figure that if I can get it perfected I might be able to help other under-sized people with this problem, especially if they decided not to purchase the tall one like we didn't do.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

The_Head

Post by The_Head »

I got the small Givi windshield today. I think I am going to regret this purchase. For me, I noticed much greater wind protection on my torso, but the buffeting around my head was much more noticeable. I think with a helmet it would be fine, but I don't use a helmet most of the time. I think this windshield will be my winter windshield and I will swap back to OEM when it warms up.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Now you know why I am experimenting with the Plexiglas. I bought the standard Giving windscreen for my wife's PC and it just wasn't tall enough. If I figure this extent ion out I will post a how-to, if anyone is interested. We went riding today for 65 to 70 miles and my wife was very very happy with the new experimental windscreen add on. So, if anyone is interested in this experiment, let me know and I will share the how-to for it. Like I said previously though, I am waiting for the kit I ordered from Japan. By the way, my expenses so far on this project is a grand total of $6. That is a lot cheaper than buying another windscreen.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Suz

Post by Suz »

Thanks for the how to. Just bought my new pcx150 a week ago, ordered my givi tall windshield, cup holder and rear trunk the next day. Your instructions made the windshield install easy. Putting in the last screws were easy once i realized all I had to do was look down through the windshield and I could see the screw alighnment.

Thanks

Suz
tenpastnine

Post by tenpastnine »

Cup holder for a coffee mug? or a bottle?

I want to take a coffee to work with me but haven't found a suitable holder :P