How-To: Install a windshield

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Re: How-To: Install a windshield

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

Just a word of thanks to Maddiedog for the tutorial. I got my D322S installed in about 15 minutes and its awesome.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Just an FYI, the Givi 323 taller windshield is still available here in the states. I ordered from a Givi dealer on line on Thursday and Givi direct shipped the next day from North Carolina and it arrived on Monday in South Florida. I had the shorter 322 and liked it way better than the stock windshield but I still did not like the wind in my face if I rode without my helmet. Since this is mainly my wife's scoot, I waited till she complained and then ordered the taller Givi. It was 170 including the mirror kit and shipping.

I previously installed the taller Givi on my Burgman and really like it. The only thing you really have to watch with the larger screens is not to drop the bike. Being a Florida flatlander, I forget to set the brake on slopes. I did that on day on the Burgman and it rolled off the stand, breaking the left brake and a good sized chunk off the wing extension over the left grip. :oops: So I now have a taller screen without extensions. So one day, I will replace the screen but for now, I try to be more cautious.

The taller screen on the PCX will take a bit of getting used to since the curves and distortion are a bit more pronounced looking thru the windscreen but it sure beats bugs in your teeth scooting. Thanks for the install instructions. As someone mentioned, if you use a magnetic screwdriver, it makes the installation of the front screws way easier. What I did was strap on of those LED flashlights to my forehead and sat on the floor directly under the front cap with both hands free to line up the screw holes. With the magnetic screwdriver both went back in 30 seconds.

I used the mirror extensions and while they are not the most attractive solution, they worked well and I like having the mirrors a little more outboard. I'll try to post more after we out some miles on the new windscreen.
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by dustin91 »

Suz wrote:Trip took 6 glorious weeks, no kids, no parents, no schedule, no reversations, no destination other than Pacific coast highway. This was a Bucket List trip. DH had lung cancer and was given a 17% chance of living 11 months, so on month 12 after surgeries and chemo and being laid off from his job of 34 years, i took my pale, motheaten looking hubby on a trip of his lifetime. We bought a Yamaha Venture, very comfy - much better than his Kingpin & headed out, 2 up in eary June. We had an absolute blast. Started from Rockport, MA, meandered SW to the Blueridge Parkway, towards the Dragons tail in Tenn. Turned N towards St Louis, W to CO, toured AZ, NV, NM,UT, WY,MO, SD,CA and other states. We visited 15 National Parks, 11 other attractions ans satified many whims.
There is a road in Yellowstone on the way to the NE gate that is so breathtaking that it literally heals the soul. I brought home a healthy and hairy hubby.

I usually only last an hour on a bike, so 6 weeks was unthinkable. Frankly I could have gone another 6 weeks. If you ever get a chance, do it.

Suz

Suz, I'm just reading this topic now, as I'm considering adding a windshield. Obviously came across your post, and hope all is well. What a great experience that must have been!

dustin
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Suz wrote:Trip took 6 glorious weeks, no kids, no parents, no schedule, no reversations, no destination other than Pacific coast highway. This was a Bucket List trip. DH had lung cancer and was given a 17% chance of living 11 months, so on month 12 after surgeries and chemo and being laid off from his job of 34 years, i took my pale, motheaten looking hubby on a trip of his lifetime. We bought a Yamaha Venture, very comfy - much better than his Kingpin & headed out, 2 up in eary June. We had an absolute blast. Started from Rockport, MA, meandered SW to the Blueridge Parkway, towards the Dragons tail in Tenn. Turned N towards St Louis, W to CO, toured AZ, NV, NM,UT, WY,MO, SD,CA and other states. We visited 15 National Parks, 11 other attractions ans satified many whims.
There is a road in Yellowstone on the way to the NE gate that is so breathtaking that it literally heals the soul. I brought home a healthy and hairy hubby.
I usually only last an hour on a bike, so 6 weeks was unthinkable. Frankly I could have gone another 6 weeks. If you ever get a chance, do it.
Suz, what an inspiring story. Thanks for sharing it. Did you take any pics? If so, maybe you would be willing to post them in 'Rides and Events'.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

Where can I buy the rubber washers/spacers? Took off stock and it only had a spacer on one screw so shield is a little loose
ImageImage
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

You can replace them with neoprene washers from Home Depot, should be less than $1.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

I don't know why there was only one on the original shield. I do like the givi short a bit though. I get lower top speed though but it feels like I am going faster from the wind
ImageImage
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

redwind posted a great video how-to here:

http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1934

The video also shows the 322st on a PCX with him sitting on it at the end, to give you a good idea of what it will look like on the bike.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
6ftMach1Girl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 6ftMach1Girl »

rainburg wrote:Our Givi arrived on Friday and we installed it yesterday. Thanks for the how-to Maddiedog that made it very easy! I'd like to add one detail that helped us. We initially had a tough time removing the plastic panel until we pulled out our trusty plastic bike tire levers. They were the perfect tool to slip under the panel at the top of each side and pop the tabs out gently. It was all very easy after that. It looks like a huge improvement and I can't wait to try it out.
This tip really helped me - thank you! Great instructions from maddiedog!
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

Very helpful, especially re where to pry up the fairing. Hardest part for me was getting the fairing back on, and never got the left connector to seat solidly and click. Thanks.
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

I had same issue Jarec. It's still popped up just a bit on the replacement piece I ordered when i reskinned the panels
ImageImage
Craigo
Year: 2019
Color: silver

Post by Craigo »

Hey Guys....Is the windshield installation/removal procedure the same for the 2018 model..???Thanks
cstruck
Year: 2017
Color: white

Post by cstruck »

Hi everybody, just got my new 2017 PCX 150 about a month ago. Traded in my old 80cc elite. Really hated the stock so-called shield. The wind blast would blow sand and bugs up into my faceshield and try to blow the helmet off the back of my head. I bought an extra tall windshield from NC. It comes with 2" mirror extensions so now I can see the road behind me. I'm 5'11 with short legs and the shield is 14.5" above the top of the instrument panel shroud. I can look over the shield and see the road about 20' in front of bike. You can check the height by just holding a tape on the shroud and look where 14.5 is. I get a good blast of breeze in my face that is coming downward to hold the helmet tight and a lot of flow from behind for cooling. The shield was $112 with free shipping from Amazon. I might have lost some mpg I guess, but I ride lots faster, Night and day difference.
cstruck
Year: 2017
Color: white

Post by cstruck »

When removing the grill to change the shield don't pry up on the back parts. Pull it straight forward. I watched a YouTube vid that recommended prying up and it broke the little tabs off. Epoxied them back but haven't tried putting the grill back yet, wanting to do some wiring under there.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I found a deal on eBay that might appeal to some riders here. It is a clip on wind deflector that goes on the top of your windshield, just in case you still have wind hitting your face. No, I don't have any connection to this website or company. I just thought it would be a good deal for anyone here.

NOTE: THE LOW PRICE (21% off) ENDS TOMORROW ($19.33). However, the normal price is still a steal ($24.55).

Though neither the PCX nor the Forza are on their list of bikes, that does not mean that it won't fit.
Here is the link and a picture.
s-l640.jpg
s-l640.jpg (48.26 KiB) Viewed 2833 times
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-Cli ... 2599270592
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Craigo
Year: 2019
Color: silver

Post by Craigo »

cstruck wrote:When removing the grill to change the shield don't pry up on the back parts. Pull it straight forward. I watched a YouTube vid that recommended prying up and it broke the little tabs off. Epoxied them back but haven't tried putting the grill back yet, wanting to do some wiring under there.
Thanks for Heads Up-> Screen removed fairly easily by pulling it forward after releasing the 2 screws on underside of screen... :)