How-To: Replace A Headlight Bulb

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Re: How To: Replace A Headlight Bulb

Post by Ishkabibble »

chicaboo wrote:Since the description and title don't match, are the eBay bulbs 35/33W or 35/30W?
According to the image on the auction, they're 35/30W
I found something to put here.
Add yourself to the PCX-Forza Owner's Map!
Go here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULV6Ib-uKsjMpWaPzPwAXmfB7vU&usp=sharing
For instructions how to add yourself go here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6437#p88888

Be sure to add your Model, year, color, and name if your scoot has one!
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Replacing A Headlight Bulb

Post by homie »

you you wrote:
OriginalRocket wrote:I want to get an HID kit for the PCX as at night I don't think it is enough light for the speeds I ride.
40mph?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Someone call DDM Tuning and see if they have a kit for the PCX or 4Z's yet. I recently used their company for the FireBolt and they are extremely helpful and reasonably priced. I choose the 5500K temperature HID bulbs and its literally like night and day from stock bulbs. I just haven't felt the need to have such visibility on the PCX for the reason youyou is thinking ROFL.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/

you will however have to find space for the ballast hardware o_O

k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by k2apache6.0 »

WhiteNoise wrote:The above link(s) have been re-listed again. Here's today's (7/8/16):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-PCX-150-P ... 40?vxp=mtr

k2 have you installed yours yet? Your reply and info is Not for me, but for a new member asking about changing out headlight bulbs to LEDs. I will link him to this thread so he can follow it.
Thanks for helping :)
Yeah' very happy with them, installed one 1st to compare side by side with the stock bulb, much whiter and brighter with just a hint of blue. They are 30/35w same as stock
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
Erickhan
Color: Black

Post by Erickhan »

chicaboo wrote:Since the description and title don't match, are the eBay bulbs 35/33W or 35/30W?
Did you install the pulleys yourself? Link to the bulbs you are using? Thanks'!
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Erickhan wrote:
Did you install the pulleys yourself? Link to the bulbs you are using? Thanks'!
Pulleys, eh? :? Errr, I've installed everything myself, for better or worse. :lol:

These are the bubls I have:
http://www.autolines.com.au/index.php?r ... search=hs5
I had to get them replaced since the manufacturer put the filaments in upside down from the first batch. :x

The US eBay seller for the Prosense bulbs no longer stocks them, but you can find them on Ali Express:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 73349.html
This link is out of date, but you can find the same thing in stock on Ali Express quite easily...

I'm not astounded by my lights, so you might do better with the Prosense bulbs, especially since they are cheaper.
Gav.
OldGuywhoTinkers
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by OldGuywhoTinkers »

dustin91 wrote:Bumping... I bought two replacement bulbs that are supposed to be a little brighter than the stock. FOR THE LIFE OF ME, I could not get the existing bulbs out. I could see why they need to turn to be removed, but they just would not budge at all. Hard enough reaching underneath the wheel well to access them, and I just couldn't produce enough torque to twist them free. I think I'll ask my shop to replace them when I take in my 150 for the 2,500 mile service. Oh well!

My opinion: When I replace light bulbs in cars and cycles/scooters, I make sure the base is healthy: free of rust, dirt, corrosion, and I put in a good squeeze of either dielectric compound or noalox (a compound used by electricians in aluminum/copper connections) Noalox in particular, inhibits reaction/corrosion in those because copper and aluminum are different metals, hence an actual battery. Lithium grease is better than nothing. Stops corrosion before it starts, bulb unscrews next time more easily ! If you ever want to clean a lamp base with a round wire brush, DISCONNECT one battery cable first!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Re: How-To: Replace A Headlight Bulb

Post by Mel46 »

All i can say is Thank you, Dustin91. While i have my bike apart installing bulbs in the places WE are not allowed the privilege of having lights in, I changed out the main bulbs for the HS5 bulbs he sent me. They look a lot brighter than the original bulbs.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
JeffPCX150

Post by JeffPCX150 »

Hey guys I am hoping someone can give me some advice. I have a 2013 Honda PCX 150 I bought used. The head lights burned out and I ordered some replacement halogen lights from China. I have read the instructions here and from youtube videos on removing the headlights. Unfortunately existing bulbs must be stuck or frozen. I have strong hands and removed the rubber boot but cannot get the bulb connecter base to budge. Left or right. So other than taking to the shop is there another way to get better access to get those bulbs out? Removing the windshield or side panels?

Any other options other than the shop?
Thank you for any help.

Jeff
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by mymitzi »

You need protection for your fingers [rubber glove, or strip of rubber to get a decent grip. That first one is real tight....... as you noticed.
Just now went out and removed mine to verify that it comes out just like a screw. [c clockwise] protect fingers....... and you'll get it out.
150pcxer
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by 150pcxer »

JeffPCX150 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:24 pm Hey guys I am hoping someone can give me some advice. I have a 2013 Honda PCX 150 I bought used. The head lights burned out and I ordered some replacement halogen lights from China. I have read the instructions here and from youtube videos on removing the headlights. Unfortunately existing bulbs must be stuck or frozen. I have strong hands and removed the rubber boot but cannot get the bulb connecter base to budge. Left or right. So other than taking to the shop is there another way to get better access to get those bulbs out? Removing the windshield or side panels?

Any other options other than the shop?
Thank you for any help.

Jeff
search for the facebook group "Honda PCX 125/150 worldwide"

you might wanna try asking there, maybe someone would be able to help?
JeffPCX150

Post by JeffPCX150 »

150Pcxer

Thank you for your help. I finally tried a different approach. I used some small needle nose pliers. Laying on my back and reaching up I got them into a horizontal position and was able to twist the lightbulb base loose finally. Those gave me much more leverage. I replaced one bulb and tested. Didnt work. I think my dimmer switch is the problem. Because both lights went out at once. And the dimmer switch was stuck. I removed it and put back together. I got it to click (from Lo to Hi ) but still NO lights. I ordered a new switch from Honda dealer for $25. Should come in any day. Hope that is it. But at least now I know of another method to remove those light bulbs. They are very difficult. And I will check out the FB group. Thanks again.
Jeff