Rear brake fluid

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

tripleg
Year: 2016
Color: Grey

Rear brake fluid

Post by tripleg »

Hello everyone. Can someone guide me on how to re-top up my rear brake fluid? I know where the reservoir is and how to get to it, I've also changed my rear brake shoes but I don't know how to bleed the fluid out of the system? Many thanks
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: white

Re: Rear brake fluid

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

Did you search here? You bleed it from the front caliper the lower nipple.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

I thought all Pcx's had rear drum brakes? Cable actuated, not fluid.
Fish
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: white

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

Yes rear is by cable but the cable is activated by CBS which also acts on the middle piston in the front caliper and that is activated by fluid from left lever. So to bleed that: lower nipple on front caliper.
pxc-in-japan
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by pxc-in-japan »

In answer to the original question, which I can see is a few weeks old now (so you may have done the work by now).

You said you can access and fluid reservoir, so you don't need to be told about getting the Tupperware off.

The method for bleeding brakes is as follows unless you have an automated brake bleeder.
If you have an bleeder, then you know by now how to use it.

1. Access the reservoir.

2. Extract it from its bracket and pull it out of its housing slightly.

3. Have another person ready to squeeze the brake lever. You tell them "squeeze" and that fills the brake line with fluid pressure. While they are squeezing the lever, you open the bleed nipple and allow a small amount of fluid to drain into a suitable container, which you ensure does not get spilled. you close the nipple and then tell the other person to "release". You make sure then the lever squeezing person does not release until you say so, and you make sure you do not say so while the nipple valve is open. That ensures no air gets into the brake lines.

4. After a few "squeezes" and "releases", you check the fluid level in the reservoir.Top-up as necessary.

5. You repeat steps 4 and 5 until the fluid coming out of the nipple is as clean and clear as that going into the reservoir.

6. Once finished, make sure you have reasonable pressure - make sure the brakes work BUT...here is an important point to consider.

That method is the universal way to bleed brakes manually, but as another user mentioned, there is another component in the system - the CBS (combined brake). He said he thought that the rear brakes are actuated through the CBS, but I do not think that is the case. I have not changed the fluid in my CBS cylinder yet, so have not looked at the connections, but I do not think the mechanisms for the rear brake are dependent upon the CBS. They are actuated by the same left-side brake lever, yes, but the manual, which I have just looked at, does not show enough detail in the schematic drawing for me to tell. Another user (earlier thread) said that the connection to the rear brakes is direct from the brake lever. I have cleaned/checked/adjusted my rear brakes twice, and I can say that the (rear) brake arm adjuster nut alone offers enough adjustment to keep the rear brakes working properly and smoothly and, more importantly, that the earlier thread mention above also contained the following comment. Unless you want to make use of the CBS (for round-town braking as opposed to the regular style of using both brake levers evenly), it is not necessary to be too concerned about the CBS. That is because if you use both levers, you are operating bother front brakes (2 out of 3 calipers) and rear brakes 'normally' (as opposed to say that maintenance of the CBS is not important merely because maintenance is not important.)

Please correct me if my assumption turns out to be wrong (or if another user already knows that it is wrong).

I will be doing this job myself soon (CBS-bleed), and so will see.

I hope at least that the basic brake bleeding steps above are of use. Good luck.
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/pcx150/2015/staninjapan/408151]Image