2013 PCX 150 Cam Chain Tensioner Replacement

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

kiapolo1887
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Black

2013 PCX 150 Cam Chain Tensioner Replacement

Post by kiapolo1887 »

A couple weeks ago my 2013 PCX 150 started making a loud clicking sound at idle, telltale sound of the cam chain tensioner gone bad. I've never more than changed the oil or replaced the brake pads on my PCX 150. I called the local (Honolulu) Honda motorcycle service center to get an estimate. They wanted over $700 to diagnose and fix the cam chain tensioner! So, I figured I'd have to do it myself. This is specific to the 2013 PCX 150.

Part you need to replace (this was my old/broken tensioner):

Parts you will need (LINK - diagram on Partzilla): Tools:
  • 10 mm socket
  • 12 mm socket
  • Phillips head screwdriver
NOTE: For reference, kiapolo's topic originated here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 94#p114494
~WN~
kiapolo1887
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Step One - Remove the seat and Center Cover (page 2-10 of th

Post by kiapolo1887 »

Step One - Remove the seat and Center Cover (page 2-10 of the service manual)

Relatively straightforward. Bike will look like this afterward (don't mind the junk in my luggage box):

kiapolo1887
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Step Two - Grab Rail Cover, Grab Rail, and Body Cover

Post by kiapolo1887 »

Step Two - Grab Rail Cover, Grab Rail, and Body Cover (page 2-20, 2-21, 2-23)

Two screws and some tabs to release the grab rail cover. Four bolts to remove the grab rail.

There is supposed to be 8 tapping screws. My bike only had 6 installed. Remove the screws, two bolts, unplug the brake lights, then gently remove the body cover. the screws under the cover and at the very front are a pain. Almost lost a screw in the very front portion. Bike will look like this afterwards:

kiapolo1887
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Step 3 - Luggage Box Removal (20-7, 2-25)

Post by kiapolo1887 »

Step 3 - Luggage Box Removal (page 20-7, 2-25).

Remove the battery lid and unhook the battery strap.

Remove six bolts then lift out the luggage box. Be mindful of which color bolts go where.

Once the luggage box is removed, your engine is laid bare before you.

Last edited by kiapolo1887 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
kiapolo1887
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: 2013 PCX 150 Cam Chain Tensioner Replacement

Post by kiapolo1887 »

Reserved....
kiapolo1887
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Step Four - Move the Throttle Body out of the way (page 7-15

Post by kiapolo1887 »

Step Four - Move the Throttle Body out of the way (page 7-15)

The throttle body covers the cam chain tensioner (circled in red) and needs to be moved to replace the part. Thankfully you don't need to completely remove the throttle body out. Loosen the two screws (identified as "insulator band bolts [2]" on the second picture on page 7-15 of the service manual) then disconnect the two black electrical connectors on the throttle body. Then you can slip the hose off the intake pipe and move the throttle body out of the way. Cover the intake pipe with a rag to prevent anything from falling into the engine. There is no need to remove the throttle cable or the the other hose.

kiapolo1887
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Step Five - Replace the Cam Chain Tensioner (page 10-8)

Post by kiapolo1887 »

Step Five - Replace the Cam Chain Tensioner (page 10-8)

Your engine should look like this:

Don't try to remove the screw in the center of the tensioner. It's factory over tightened. Some users report needing an impact wrench to remove. Forget it. Just purchase a separate screw and o-ring identified above.

Take out the two bolts and the tensioner will lift right out. If the gasket didn't come off, remove it as well. You'll know the tensioner is broken when it is retracted (short). There is a spring & ratchet that pushes a rod in the tensioners against a skid plate that keeps tension on the cam chain and prevents the rod from retracting. When it breaks the tensioner rod retracts and looks like the pic in the first post.

My tensioner came with a small plastic piece that inserts into the hole/screw head under the screw at the center of the tensioner. Inside the hole under the screw is a screw head (flat head) that if turned allows the tensioner rod to be retracted. If you don't have that plastic piece (or a $100 Honda tool as seen in the service manual), once you take out the screwdriver from the hole, the tensioner rod fully extends. If you have the plastic piece/tool, simply turn the tensioner rod screw with the plastic piece/tool until the rod is completely retracted and leave the plastic piece in the hole. The plastic piece will prevent the tensioner rod from fully extending. Then you can install the gasket and tensioner, tighten the bolts, then take out the plastic piece, which will then extend the tensioner rod, applying the correct amount of tension on the cam chain.

If you don't have that plastic piece/tool, then you'll need a second pair of hands to hold the flat head screwdriver in place in the tensioner rod hole while you bolt in the tensioner in place. Once bolted in place, then you can remove the screwdriver. You will not be able to install the tensioner if the rod is fully extended.

Once bolted, install the o-ring and phillips screw. Reinstall the throttle body and fire up the bike to confirm proper working order.

If everything is in working order then proceed with reinstalling everything you just took apart!

Hope this helps!

My flickr album with all these pics and pics of the service manual: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kiapolo/a ... 6236049029
kiapolo1887
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by kiapolo1887 »

maddiedog discusses the cam chain tensioner in his How-To: Install a Big Bore Kit post (very helpful): http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2939
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I tip my hat to you :) Your picture perfect step-by-step will be very helpful for those in need, those interested and those that are learning... (like Me)
~Cheers and Happy Trails kiapolo~
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Thanks! Hope I never have to do this :)
jtboogie
Color: black

Post by jtboogie »

Aloha ,
How many miles did your bike have when you did the tensioner?

Thanks James
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

I did the chain tensioner on my 2013 scoot at 7700 miles.
Great write up by the way.

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

Excellent writeup.

I'd add one small detail. Honda uses J.I.S. fasteners - not Phillips standard. Even though the two are looking the same, they are slightly different shape. Phillips screwdrivers have an internal angle effectively meaning that they "cam out" from JIS heads limiting the torque can be exterted on those.
Using a proper JIS screwdriver makes easier to remove the really stubborn tensioner screw.
Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion
Year: 2018
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

Post by Cube »

Doesn't seem too bad to do. How common is this failure and did they ever upgrade the part? (I have an '18)
2018 Dark Pearl Blue PCX150
2007 Cyber Silver Metallic Silver Wing
2014 Glowing Red Forza 300
kiapolo1887
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by kiapolo1887 »

Cube wrote:Doesn't seem too bad to do. How common is this failure and did they ever upgrade the part? (I have an '18)
It's common enough on motorcycles/scooters. Lots of search results if you google the symptoms. I have no idea if they upgraded the part.

If you have the manual it's not hard to swap out the cam chain tensioner (just time consuming).
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: white

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

Hi thanks a lot for this
Yesterday i thought the car besides me was making a strange noise. After a while i realised it was me! o_O I though of something on the transmission side but it's definetely coming from where the water radiator is, i can even feel the rattling a bit in the exhaust. Bike is stranded in garage now as i'm too afraid of destroying engine.
I've ordered the tensioner and hope to make good use of your How-to.
This vid helped me understand how the thing works

Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

tomtomclub2005 wrote:Hi thanks a lot for this
Yesterday i thought the car besides me was making a strange noise. After a while i realised it was me! o_O I though of something on the transmission side but it's definetely coming from where the water radiator is, i can even feel the rattling a bit in the exhaust. Bike is stranded in garage now as i'm too afraid of destroying engine.
I've ordered the tensioner and hope to make good use of your How-to.
This vid helped me understand how the thing works

You will do fine. How many miles on your scoot?

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

Hi, My bike is 21,000 Kms. I did this afternoon- turned out my tensioner was ok so i did not replace it. I was able to unscrew the bloddy center screw with my biggest JIS scredriver. Thanks Oyabun for the tip. I shocked the screw with a few short hammer strokes then pushing down like an idiot i turned the screwdriver with pliers...and it worked after a few takes! Geez.

I was able to refit it alone, I would not have dared without our how-to here.
It turned out the loud noise was not the cam tenbsioner, but an internal baffle in the exhaust that came loose . . I was going to have my bike towed to a garage so this saved my day. Thanks again, - love this forum!
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

Forgot to mention that i have led version, you can just unscrew (2 bolts) the manifold right at the injector and then rubber intake from airbox if you manage to unscrew the small collar screw- I could'nt. So i just moved the whole assembly just out of the way enough. Could'nt remove the damn electric cable right on injector neither, it would not come out and was to afraid of braking anything on this flimsy plactic thing. Anyway just removing the 2 bolts on top and moving the injector assy gives you enough acccess.
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User

Post by grndslm »

Thanks for this write up... and the pics, especially!!

I took the cam chain tensioner out and wasn't paying attention to which way the yellow/green dot was supposed to go. Top Left it is!!

Was about to install it backwards, and I'm not sure if that would've caused damage or not. But thanks anyway!! Helped regardless...