How-To: Make "Backup" Seat Release (Auxiliary Seat Latch Release)

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Re: Seat release back up ... Auxiliary Seat Latch Release

Post by easyrider »

homie wrote:I may never lock my key under the seat but surely the battery will fail someday? How do we get to the battery which is under the seat if there is no power to operate the latch? Help me out with that... Honda
Havent checked the PCX but the FORZA doesn't require electricity to open the latch. Its all cable. Once the key is inserted to open then the rocker switch mechanically pulls the latch cable. No battery needed.Probably the same on the PCX.. Of course another back up is great idea however how about a simple hide-a - key hidden underneath ??? and also a male 12 volt plug for charging and accessories mounted on the dash ??
The newer models with the key fob use a plastic back up key .. You can also stick a spare 2032 battery under the panel somewhere as well ..Just some random thoughts.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

The OWL doesn't need power to open the seat.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

easyrider wrote:
homie wrote:I may never lock my key under the seat but surely the battery will fail someday? How do we get to the battery which is under the seat if there is no power to operate the latch?
Havent checked the PCX but the FORZA doesn't require electricity to open the latch. Its all cable.
Hey now this needs to be explore for sure. I was always under the assumption that was an electrical actuator... sure acts like one. Give me a second and I will pull the battery and lay this to rest. In the mean time found a zip tie to be far more acceptable to bindings on motorbikes than gorilla tape :roll: I will try and temper myself with the gorilla tape in the future... love that stuff.

k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Good idea Homie, a bit confused with this 'electrical' talk stuff. My 2013 seat release is purely mehanical. Still if the key's are in the trunk, same outcome. I have spare keys in my wallet but if they went missing too
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Hey now this needs to be explore for sure. I was always under the assumption that was an electrical actuator... sure acts like one. Give me a second and I will pull the battery and lay this to rest. In the mean time found a zip tie to be far more acceptable to bindings on motorbikes than gorilla tape :roll: I will try and temper myself with the gorilla tape in the future... love that stuff.
Yup, the G-Tape is awesome stuff, set it and forget it. :lol:

I carry a few large size zip ties on all my bikes all the time. Great for all-round use and emergencies especially. :geek:

I not only found the bicycle brake cable (that I forgot also included the levers and brake calipers and hardware) for front or rear applications that I put away umpteen years ago but also found a gear shift cable. I'm going to see if either one of those may possibly work for the "Emergency Seat Latch Release" when I get around to pulling the panels for that spiritual experience called the "BAPTISMAL VALVE ADJUSTMENT". And then 4000 miles later followed by the "VALVE ADJUSTMENT CONFIRMATION CEREMONY". Copious notes will be maintained for all rituals on the glorious pages of the "HOLY SERVICE MANUAL". Note that only the official Honda version is officially recognized by the faithful as they ride through life on their heavenly quest for peace and eternal freedom. . ..

PCX150H. . .live to ride. . .ride to live. ;)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

PCX150Rider wrote:Actually I think that's what you should call it. . . "Emergency Seat Latch Release".
That's good and since you typed it anyone searching with your mindset will find this thread in the achieves. Much appreciated :D
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Thanks! If I can make one of these bicycle cables work I'm going to post photos. If not. . .well at least I tried. They will require some modification.

Here's another possible name on your invention, "PCX Auxiliary Seat Latch Release". :geek:

From what I understand you have to shut the PCX off to be able to pop the seat open due to the ignition setup. By using the other release mechanism you can just put the PCX up on the center stand, leave it running, get your stuff out or put something in the storage area, or do something that is at night when you want the lights to remain on like find a rain suit or whatever. Then slam the seat shut, take the PCX off the center stand, and be on your way in a minute. It would also increase safety and night visibility along the side of the road or in a parking lot. The key is you can leave it running. ;)
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

homie wrote:
PCX150Rider wrote:Actually I think that's what you should call it. . . "Emergency Seat Latch Release".
That's good and since you typed it anyone searching with your mindset will find this thread in the achieves. Much appreciated :D
Would you like me to add "Emergency Seat Latch Release" as a part of the subject title?
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

It's up to Homie to decide. . .his brainchild. . .But either "Emergency" or "Auxiliary Seat Latch Release" both sound good to me. :D
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

I don't know about such things... make it something we can all find when new guys are taking their bikes apart so's we can link them to the option while they have the plastics off. Whatever you guys think makes it searchable to the most people.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

PCX150Rider wrote:From what I understand you have to shut the PCX off to be able to pop the seat open due to the ignition setup.
YEAH! what he said... why if the switch was fulling cable operated would it not work when the ignition is off OR on. I have got to go disconnect the battery, lock the seat down and set this right in my mind once and for all.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hmm...this?
How To - Add 2nd Seat Release
Once the thread is opened reader will understand purpose.

This thread may go "sticky." Stay tuned.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

The ignition set up goes (starting at the 12:00 o'clock position) from "Ignition On" to (moving counter-clockwise) "Seat/Fuel" and then next to "Off" and proceeding towards the 8:00 o'clock position to "Push" and then "Lock" (pushing down turning counter clockwise until it's in the Lock position). The hex-like part of the key is purely for security access. o_O

So my theory is there could be a dual function in the ignition assembly. Part of it is electronic (with feeds from the side stand kill switch and anything else involved) and the other part is purely mechanical. Hence, when you move counter clockwise from "Ignition On" you leave the "Electronic Zone" and then enter into the "Mechanical Zone". . .and people are going to think I'm in the "Twilight Zone" when I'm done with this. :lol:

I'm thinking (which could be dangerous) that if you view the image below it looks like the electrical connection comes in on the lower part of the assembly and the upper part must be more of a mechanical nature. I'm having difficulty seeing where the fuel door or seat cable hooks in though. Unless there is some kind of electrical trigger to an electro-mechanical device further downstream.
PCXIgnition.JPG
PCXIgnition.JPG (40.35 KiB) Viewed 8184 times
I'm basing this on images I saw on Google for PCX ignitions. . .so maybe the older 125's are different than the newer 150's. Smart Key is a whole different animal. . .well almost. :geek:
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

WhiteNoise wrote:How To - Add 2nd Seat Release
This thread may go "sticky." Stay tuned.
Maddie doesn't do stickies WN, look at the PCX technical section ;) I get it, he keeps a low maintenance status and leaves the section free of endless stickies plus avoids the drama of those being denied the privilege of a sticky a jilted ego. He won't approve it because too many before us would be disrespected. Best the request I know you or Kramer submitted be denied.

Now I have my own ever growing Whisper'ers list for those who have done things far and above in mechanical aptitude concerning Honda PCX :D but it's only a recent record (2.5 years). I salute you people and I do find your contributions in this forum excellent! Especially those of the first generation PCX's well beyond my time... you are not forgotten as this bike hasn't changed that much yet.

New blood like the ever curious PCX150Rider shows promise and encouragement for the next generation of this beloved bike. Say's things that hurt my brain already so probably make the Whisper'er status long before I do :oops:
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

I get your point, we do have many valuable How-To threads listed. They can't all get stick-ied. Tech Members that have contributed How-To's, know that.
Dave (maddiedog) aka/our forum's owner may review and consider your new entry.
We'll wait n see what happens homie.

So which subject title will you be choosing? It would be proper to follow suit - starting with:
How-To .........

Yawning...time to retire. Sayin' goodnight peeps
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

It'sa "Sticky" Subject now. Thank you maddiedog 8)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Nice fellow from my YT channel contacted me he had a better mod to recover a key from under a locked luggage box. I was excited and hopeful he improved my rather crude solution until he posted this video today...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAIe5xI ... e=youtu.be

:lol: :lol: :lol: clever remote actuator rigging for sure! but it's just another key that could be locked under the seat ;) hello?
Attachments
20171118_090204.jpg
20171118_090204.jpg (129.89 KiB) Viewed 7798 times
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Just to make it clear, the PCX has a mechanical lever, with NO electrical parts. The switch just happens to be near electrical parts...the ignition switch, but both the fuel door and the seat lever are mechanical switches. If your battery is dead or even completely out of the bike you have no worries about whether the switch will work.

That being said, my wife has locked her keys in her bike a few times now. My solution is that I carry her spare key on my bike (under the seat) and she carries my spare key on hers.

For the rest of us, the above modification could be the difference between going straight home or waiting until someone arrives with your spare key. I have seen others who have been waiting. Not fun...
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Re: Video why make things more complicated with another electrical transmitter and solenoid. Took me all of five minutes to snake a piece of fishing line from my latch release and tuck it under the rear cowling hidden away. Sometimes we just like to be fancy I guess.Easy to put a hideaway key in there and that's always a good idea too. Much cheaper than a key fob I would think.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

This clever fellow made me giggle when he linked his video to mine as a solution of getting into the luggage box to recover a key. Unfortunately I had to break the bad news to him. By inventing an actuator system that could in fact be locked into the luggage box as well it's not apples to apples we are comparing, but it is a very nice keyless remote trunk release.... ROFL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAIe5xI ... e=youtu.be