ever overfill your oil? & 1967

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

ever overfill your oil? & 1967

Post by fish »

Yeah. No.
Me neither!
But if your "friend" ever does - here's a thing that works for my friend.
I have two plastic syringes from Malwart, I think. One is clunky and jerky and messy to operate. Piston/plunger bit works lousy.
This one works good - very smooth - it is for inoculating pigeons or roast beef or something. Pointy on the end.

Onto this syringe I pushed a tube from a Windex bottle (about ANY spray bottle tube will work).

This length tube was the correct length to reach the fresh oil in both a slightly over-filled Kymco and a Piaggio - my friend said.

TWO important things to remember:

1) Do NOT drop that tube inside your engine - you're on your own after that!
b) Don't put that tube back on your wife's full Windex bottle.

("My friend.... " brings to mind a funny story:

In the spring of 1967 I thumbed to San Francisco from Los Angeles to see what all the fuss was about. A kid from LA joined me. He was both immensely lazy and terrifically allergic to poison ivy.
He contracted a wicked dose of poison ivy when we were sleeping rough around Big Sur.
When we got to Frisco some street folks told me about a Free Clinic across town, where he could get some calamine lotion.

He was too damlazy to walk across town, so I went. I went up to the desk at the nurses station and explained the situation about "my friend".

Well the harried Nurse only heard "dose" and "my friend", and pointed me to one of several benches to wait for the Doc.

Finally I was called into the treatment room - where the Doc asked about "oozing, and blistering, etc.?"
'Yep' - then told me to drop my Levis and and bend over.

Yeah, I'd been sitting on the VD bench!

Well, we all had a big laugh, and I got my free bottle of calamine lotion.

BTW - lazybones wimped out, called his mom and got a bus back to LA. I found lodging & work cooking for a pro Chess hustler on Haight St. that summer. Who knew you could make $ playing Chess?
Good times. Interesting neighbors.

Fish
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: ever overfill your oil? & 1967

Post by Jge64 »

I also use a syringe however since I've measured and put in 22 ounces, and then 1 ounce at a time with the syringe, I get it mid stick every time. Never overfill since i started this procedure.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000G ... UTF8&psc=1
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

1967....hmmm...early, middle or late??

I ended my not real warm and fuzzy relationship with the Air Force in very early September of that year. After 4 years in, I still wasn't 21 yet! They had a strange way of counting your service. I went in on my 17th birthday, so my service ended a day before I turned 21.

So, after 4 years of military I was turned loose into a new world of Flower Power, Hippies, and great music. I had heard the music while in the military, but it is entirely different when you no longer have to follow so many rules!

Oh, what To do with my spare time! Well, to put it bluntly, I didn't know. I have ALWAYS had to follow rules, strict rules. I grew up in an orphanage that was run by Catholic priests and nuns...and I am NOT Catholic. Right after I left there I went into the military...Air Force or Vietnam. Guess I didn't want to be shot at.

I chose the Air Force and spent a great amount of time in school, at the end of which I was officially an x-ray tech. I guess that was as good of a job as any. Being stationed in West Texas was not my idea of good times...but at least I wasn't being shot at.

...and then I was on my own...In the late '60s...In Dallas, Texas.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Jge64 wrote:I also use a syringe however since I've measured and put in 22 ounces, and then 1 ounce at a time with the syringe, I get it mid stick every time. Never overfill since i started this procedure.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000G ... UTF8&psc=1
That's the lousy one I also have. Herky jerky plunger - leaks, drips. The red above works like a precision medical syringe.
Probably just bad luck on the one ....
Fish
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

Get another one, mine has worked fine for 3 years and costs 3 bucks.... not interested in having a "medical syringe" to put in ounces of oil every 9 months, that's ridiculous
Glen
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Why is that ridiculous? That is what I use. I can't recall where I got them...locate drug store maybe.?? You don't need the needle part, but if you wanted something to extend one, just connect some heat shrink tubing to it instread.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

fancy syringes are rediculous, not medical disposable ones..........just read it again.....
Glen
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Jge64 wrote:Get another one, mine has worked fine for 3 years and costs 3 bucks.... not interested in having a "medical syringe" to put in ounces of oil every 9 months, that's ridiculous
No thanks, bought one, worked crappy. Got a better one in the housewares section. Mine works "like a precision medical" one. :-)

Fish