Anyone else a bit unimpressed by Forza build quality?

General Honda Forza 125 chat, questions about the Forza 125, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Baz
Year: '15 Forza 125
Color: Silver

Anyone else a bit unimpressed by Forza build quality?

Post by Baz »

Not been on here for a while, as have been rather busy being made redundant, and finding a new job before they came and repossessed my home!

All sorted now though, and I find myself working very close to Norwich city centre....I quickly became tired of worrying about where I'd park the car, and the journey home, which in spite of only being seventeen miles, would take up to an hour and a quarter by car, so I decided to return to commuting on two wheels, merely to save time, money and hassle.

This was in early December, by which time I'd owned the Forza for over a year, covering less than 1200 (mainly recreational) miles, usually in dry conditions, so as you can imagine, the bike was pretty much immaculate.

I did briefly consider trading the Forza for another brand new SH125i, as I have to admit, I really regret trading my last one for the Forza, but the dealer and I couldn't quite reach a mutually acceptable deal, so I decided to just stick with the Forza, and use that instead.

So, at the beginning of the month, I cleaned the bike thoroughly, dried it, and gave it a coat of ACF50 over all the bits that Honda couldn't be bothered to paint, along with any other areas which I considered could be at risk from our manky winter roads, and began using the machine as my main transport on the 34 mile round trip to work.

Overall, I'm really impressed with the bike's performance, economy and comfort....I ride three or four miles of dual carriageway each way, and the bike never feels out if it's depth from a performance perspective, I love the way that the mirrors keep the worst of the wind away from my hands, so that the genuine heated grips can keep my hands warm through summer gloves, even at this time if year....The trip computer never moves from "99.9mpg" and the colour-coded top box, combined with the huge under seat compartment makes the bike incredibly practical: I don't think there are many two-wheelers with space to safely carry six rolls of Christmas wrapping paper without damage! The bike is even better at squeezing through the city traffic than I was expecting....The wide, fixed mirrors aren't the hindrance that I was expecting them to be.

All seemed rosy then, until the first time I came to clean the bike....This was after about a week and a half of constant use in pretty grotty weather....I cleaned the bike off, noting the expected deterioration of the mild steel exhaust system, but I wasn't prepared for the way in which the rear shocks had deteriorated: In just a week and a half, they look like they've come off a bike that's been abused through five winters....They are really badly pitted with corrosion, in spite of the liberal coating if ACF50 I gave them!

Oh, and the screen has developed an annoying rattle over the bumps of our lousy Norfolk roads!

The plan now, is to try and preserve the bike as well as I can through the winter, then in the spring I'll fit a stainless exhaust, and upgrade/refurb the shocks (and anything else) as necessary, to ensure that the machine is better equipped to face next winter.

Anyone else using a Forza daily through the winter? How is yours standing up to the punishment of our roads?

All the best,
David.
2015 Honda Forza 125
Moondust Silver Metallic
Genuine Heated Grips
Colour Coded Topbox
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: Anyone else a bit unimpressed by Forza build quality?

Post by iceman »

Not got one but the Forza 125 gets high praise from owners on the FB forum (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1609817 ... =bookmarks) and many seem happy they traded up to the 125 Forza. Not seen other posts saying it's fairing worse than other bikes, but you may want to join and ask in the Forza 125 specific group (it was open but now a closed group_.

With a £450 price hike for the new '17 model, I think Honda are taking the preverbial for a 125 scooter and charging £4500 for it. Way overpriced for a 125 despite ABS.
adnewton
Year: 2016
Color: Forza, Silver

Re: Anyone else a bit unimpressed by Forza build quality?

Post by adnewton »

Hi,

Had mine now since September 2016. Only done 600 miles since new, but the miles I have done have been very pleasurable.

I have damaged one of the panels trying to get through a gate at my parents, so had to order a new one @ £95 - ouch!

With regards to exhaust pitting - most cars see this never mind motorcycles. I expect it on exhaust. I will keep an eye on rear shocks though & if they start pitting, I will take it back under warranty. Just a thought though - is it something you're using when washing/cleaning?

2017 model has new shocks along with keyless operation & 3 new colours. Not sure it's worth an extra £450; making purchase price £4500.

Happy & safe riding.