car tires on cruisers...

General Honda Forza 125 chat, questions about the Forza 125, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

car tires on cruisers...

Post by homie »

Found several videos of bikers using car tires running them with low pressure. Can you imagine the traction and rear braking performance? I bet you could bring a big bike to a halt pretty quick on this tire but in the corners it looks a little weak.

How common of a modification is this?
Not very, but there are plenty of people online who have done it. It is most popular with large Touring rigs and highway riders. It seems owners of the Harley Davidson Touring and other larger motorcycles designed for long trek highway use, such as the Goldwing, are finding their riding style benefits from the car tire's advantages.

What are the advantages of using a car tire?
The reported advantages of a car tire are better traction for straight line acceleration and braking. The other reasons many people prefer a car tire is the lower cost and longer life. A rear 16" motorcycle tire will likely cost you nearly $200, while a car tire is about $100.

are people going nuts?
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Re: car tires on cruisers...

Post by homie »

Improved Ride Quality?

One of the main reasons to choose a Harley-Davidson touring bike is the ability to ride long distances in comfort. While the ride quality is good out of the box, and suspension upgrades can further improve comfort, tire choice has a huge impact on how a motorcycle behaves. If you swap to car rubber you may notice an improvement in ride quality. In comparison to a motorcycles tire, most car tires have a significantly taller sidewall that absorbs bumps and provides a cushioning effect over road irregularities. Some dark side riders over-inflate the tire to give it more of a round profile, which may lessen the ride quality improvements, but others run them at lower pressures so they flex more, which will improve it.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

No chicken strip tho...
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Finally roughed mine in today... that's the extent of my lame chicken :) With car tire side walls not meant to ride on they must have got the idea from a MadMax movie.... MadMax darkside wasn't it :lol:
Attachments
chicken.jpg
chicken.jpg (67.66 KiB) Viewed 2308 times
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

I bet the riders that like a car tyre on the rear, find that they also work better without an helmet.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

Why not increase their tire number into 4? I bet that would improve traction and braking too. Ha!
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

The single advantage which Burgman riders (400 & 650) are looking for is massively increased mileage from car tires. Burgs eat through scooter tires in a few thousand miles at the rear, while they get 10's of thousands of miles from car tires.
No mentions of braking improvement, etc. Just mileage! THE biggie.
It always amazes me how these guys who purchase America's most expensive scooters look for ways to skimp by. Never replacing the $6 spark plug is another....washing paper air filters. ...etc.
Actually. ..I think very few buy new....that probably explains a lot of this. Like most scoots - Burgmans have lousy resale value. None of us should probably be buying new if we had any sense......
Fish