Hello....

General Honda Forza 125 chat, questions about the Forza 125, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Baz
Year: '15 Forza 125
Color: Silver

Hello....

Post by Baz »

Just registered on here, so just a quick introduction.

I'm approaching 46, have been riding since the age of eight and on the road since sixteen....I've owned many "Proper" bikes over the years, my favourites being my Guzzis and Morinis, although much has to be said for owning a big Japanese machine instead: Much easier to own and ride than the old Italian stuff! I've been less enthusiastic about the big bikes since the sudden death of my father about six years ago....He was my best friend, and main biking buddy, and it just doesn't seem the same without him around :(

I've remained on two wheels though: I've admired the modern automatic scooter for some time, and bought my first one, a brand new Peugeot Speedfight 100, in 1997....This was followed by an Aprilia SR125, an Aprilia Leonardo 250 (Brilliant), a Piaggio X9 250 (Rubbish), a Vespa 200 Granturismo, a Honda Vision 110, a Honda SH125i (Another brilliant bike) and finally, my latest, a Forza 125.

I had the SH125, and was very happy with it, but was curious about the Forza....Mainly attracted by the power of the engine and the large fuel tank....So while the SH was in for a service last September, I arranged a demo of the Forza 125 with my dealer, the very good C.J.Ball, Sprowston, Norwich....This demo turned into a 24 hour, back to back comparison between the new Forza 125 and an ex-demo Forza 300....Climbing from one to the other, it was obvious which is the better machine: The 300 had marginally better performance, but a really weird riding position, and a kind of top-heavy, wobbly feel to it that didn't appeal (Plus a horrible vibration that was probably exclusive to that particular machine). Back to back, the 125 really does feel in a different league, feeling smooth, composed and comfortable, with the only trade-off being a few MPH and the top end, and slightly leisurely acceleration.

My order was placed, and I had to wait two months for my sliver (Grey!) example, with genuine Honda heated grips, and colour-coded top box....Life has been getting in the way a bit this year, and I've only just had the 600 mile service done....My first impressions of the bike are that it's probably not as well built as the SH125 and it's a real pain in the rectum to clean properly, but a real pleasure to actually ride!

That's it for now (Tea's ready!), but I'll come back later and list the few issues that I've had so far.

Cheers,
David.
2015 Honda Forza 125
Moondust Silver Metallic
Genuine Heated Grips
Colour Coded Topbox
Baz

Re: Hello....

Post by Baz »

Okay, issues with my Forza so far:

- Got it home and gave it a good look over....Found a number of the front end panels to be misaligned, and the plastic panel around the base of the handlebars/ignition area had a hairline crack....Rectified within a couple of weeks by the dealer.

- Upon first ride, found the brake levers were misaligned....Rectified myself.

- Also upon first inspection, noticed that the rear tyre valve cap was missing....Assumed it to be an oversight by the dealer, and replaced it....Rode the bike once, and the valve cap had disappeared again! Investigation revealed that the valve (The right-angled type) was fouling the inside of the engine/transmission casing, which was unscrewing the valve caps and allowing them to fly off! This being a potential safety issue, I arranged to carefully ride the bike back to the dealer (They did offer to collect, but I didn't consider it necessary) for rectification....I requested a short stubby valve as on the front, but they chose merely to fit another right-angled one, and turn it through about 45 degrees....It now doesn't foul, but looks really naff! I have requested a neater solution (i.e. the short valve I asked for!) but this can wait until the wheel has to come out again for any reason.

- Finally, the aluminium engine/transmission/exhaust bracket castings just seem really poor quality....The bike has seen very little rain, and is always cleaned thoroughly, dried, and put away in it's heated shed after use, yet already there are unsightly areas of oxidation appearing! I spoke to the dealer, and it seems that it's my fault because I don't liberally coat the bike in oil before I take it out in winter! Call me old fashioned, but at this price I kinda think that Honda should be the ones making sure it doesn't corrode! What about paint on the casings, instead of leaving them bare? Problem solved! So it looks like this problem is considered normal....Guess I just have to comply, and cover the bike in unsightly snot for all the dirt and dust to stick to! :roll:

Other than the above, I really love the bike....Quick enough not to feel tedious, very accomplished handling and ride, really comfy (I'm 5'11" and 16 stone) over any distance, and incredibly economical....I think I'll be keeping this one for quite a while! The only further mods I'd like to make eventually are a stainless exhaust (Purely for cosmetic reasons: I hate the way the mild steel ones rust so quickly!) and a taller Givi screen for added comfort on the long journeys I hope to make on it someday soon!

Cheers,
David.
2015 Honda Forza 125
Moondust Silver Metallic
Genuine Heated Grips
Colour Coded Topbox
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Baz wrote:at this price I kinda think that Honda should be the ones making sure it doesn't corrode!
I quite agree but if you look at the UK warranty you'll find that cosmetic blemishes are not covered.
Only if corrosion affects function will Honda pay out for warranty replacement.
At four grand for a 125 manufacturers should be supplying a stainless pipe as standard.
Peugeot's Citystar 125 has a fully stainless exhaust and its only £2900.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Baz

Post by Baz »

gn2 wrote:At four grand for a 125 manufacturers should be supplying a stainless pipe as standard.
Agreed....And Honda's Akrapovic pipe is really pricey too, even if it does include a new "Sports" seat!

I think, when I'm ready to upgrade, I'll be looking elsewhere.
2015 Honda Forza 125
Moondust Silver Metallic
Genuine Heated Grips
Colour Coded Topbox
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Love your "quick introduction" Baz, enjoyed the read.
Sorry about your Dad's passing. I miss mine a lot too. Now he rides pillion with me,... invited or not ;)
On a scootin' note, it's great that you're enjoying yours.
The 125 Forza looks sharp! 8) If it came to the U.S. and nearby, I'd certainly visit my dealer.
Good luck with yours ~ ride safe, and keep on smiling
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You