7500 Mile Maintenance

General Honda Forza 125 chat, questions about the Forza 125, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

wolf39us

7500 Mile Maintenance

Post by wolf39us »

Alright so I have a question for all of you that have already hit your 7,500 mile maintenance.

How much did the bill run you?

I've got an issue with a local bike shop that did my girlfriends bike where they charged an absurd amount (imo). I just want to compare this cost to others. This bill includes

7,500 mile maintenance (PCX150)
Oil Change
Front and rear tire change

Bill $619.80

2 hours labor
2 new tires
oil and parts
maintenance

Am I crazy or is this a wildly outlandish number? Also, they mentioned that the rear tire sprocket (hooked to fly wheel) was seized and difficult to take off... but they only charge an extra $25 for that.
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red

Re: 7500 Mile Maintenance

Post by j.d.b. »

Yeah, that sounds very high. Were those the only parts? What else was done? Decent tires would run about $110-$120/pair. A quart of oil, $3-$5. What's their hourly, close to $200? Sounds like the Porsche dealer.
wolf39us

Post by wolf39us »

j.d.b. wrote:Yeah, that sounds very high. Were those the only parts? What else was done? Decent tires would run about $110-$120/pair. A quart of oil, $3-$5. What's their hourly, close to $200? Sounds like the Porsche dealer.
$95/hr
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by j.d.b. »

So, two hours is $190. Two tires and a quart oil were $400? Must be REALLY nice tires and fantastic oil. I'm in the WRONG business.
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Do they work for Nasa in a sub contract?
aka DrewJW
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

I'll let you know MA price in a week or two, but the 2500 and 5K ran a bit over 300, which seems pretty steep, especially when you can't really be sure they pulled off all the plastic to actually check the valves.

The maintenance costs far overpower any savings you get from fuel usage. But the PCX is lots of fun to ride - that is the real reason I ride one.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Do maintenance yourself (not much in it really if you do not check the valves) and save lots of money. The chance of anything major going wrong will probably be cheaper to pay for repair (should that ever prove necessay) than 2 years of dealer servicing.
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

iceman wrote:Do maintenance yourself (not much in it really if you do not check the valves) and save lots of money. The chance of anything major going wrong will probably be cheaper to pay for repair (should that ever prove necessay) than 2 years of dealer servicing.
Your absolutly right! I have done all of my own servicing since being taken advantage of for my first service. I you can change the oil in a lawn mower, you can service these bikes.
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

MikeP wrote:
iceman wrote:Do maintenance yourself (not much in it really if you do not check the valves) and save lots of money. The chance of anything major going wrong will probably be cheaper to pay for repair (should that ever prove necessay) than 2 years of dealer servicing.
Your absolutly right! I have done all of my own servicing since being taken advantage of for my first service. I you can change the oil in a lawn mower, you can service these bikes.

Yep. Didn't even bother with the dealer for the first service
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Speaking of lawn mowers, I have a Honda lawn mower and to change its oil I have to turn the mower completely upside down and drain it out of the same hole you use to put oil into the mower. Is that normal for lawn mowers?

On the pcx front, we purchased two Michelin City Grips for my wife's bike, online, for around $100. Then the dealer charged us $55 per tire to mount them. Service rate is usually $75/hr so doing an oil change and valve check was about a 2 hour job. Adding all of that together comes to $360 plus the oil itself (don't forget to add oil disposition charge). Fully synthetic oil was around $10. I guess the remainder of YOUR charges were for lunch....for everyone in the shop.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

Which $, US, Canadian or Oz ?
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
wolf39us

Post by wolf39us »

DAB wrote:Which $, US, Canadian or Oz ?
In my case USD
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Theboybilly »

you you wrote:
MikeP wrote:

Yep. Didn't even bother with the dealer for the first service
While I admire you doing your own servicing, had I done the same how would I have stood with a factory recall on my Forza 300 (replacement fuel pump IIRC), and also having the lockable cubbyhole replaced and an engine seal fixed under warranty (especially if the seal had blown leaving bits all over the road)?
I have to say I've had more problems on my 300 than I've ever had on a bike in 40 years. I'll be taking my scooter to the dealer for the time being.
Image[/URL
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by j.d.b. »

Recalls they have to do in any case. As far as repairs under their warranty, as long as it's a defect(s) in material or workmanship and not something you did, I see no reason for the dealer's refusal to honor the warranty. Who changes the oil should have no bearing on what plastic parts fail elsewhere on the bike.
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Theboybilly »

j.d.b. wrote:Recalls they have to do in any case. As far as repairs under their warranty, as long as it's a defect(s) in material or workmanship and not something you did, I see no reason for the dealer's refusal to honor the warranty. Who changes the oil should have no bearing on what plastic parts fail elsewhere on the bike.
I'm not sure a dealer (who will incur costs to do warranty work) will do anything without proof of servicing (i.e. a stamp in the logbook) Just like insurers they will be looking to wriggle out of anything they can.
Just my opinion
Image[/URL
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by j.d.b. »

I agree that may be the case in the UK, but not here in the states. Recalls are the law.
wolf39us

Post by wolf39us »

Just got the bike back and it's running pretty darn good!

The juddering and squealing was from worn clutch weights and a glazed over belt.