Forza 125 vs SH125i for a tall rider?

General Honda Forza 125 chat, questions about the Forza 125, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

steve345uk

Forza 125 vs SH125i for a tall rider?

Post by steve345uk »

Good forum, first post!

After many year of riding motorcycle of various sizes, I'm now considering moving over scooters. This is mainly driven by the fact that most of my riding is commuting (mainly country lanes and B-roads), I don't really need something as fast a motorcycle and I'm getting a very bored of continually changing gears. I'm currently running an NC700S (manual) - I really like the internal storage compartment but think the DCT version is an overcomplicated solution compared to CVT.

The potential bikes for me, are the new Forza 125 or the well established SH125i. Being 6'4" I'm concerned that the Forza might be too cramped - any taller riders out there? I'm not talking seat height, both bikes are similar to the NC700, but general comfort.

Clearly the Forza is the better looking, has better suspension, storage, power output, style ... etc than the SH, hence the price difference! But the SH looks like is might be less cramped. I'll eventually go to my "local" dealers but it's a bit of a trek, so would appreciate any comments, particularly from those who have owned both scooters of those with long legs.

I also understand the service interval are more on the Forza - valve check every 4000 miles instead of 2500 miles?

Thanks
itcaptainslow
Regular User
Regular User
Year: Forza 125 2015
Color: White/blue

Re: Forza 125 vs SH125i for a tall rider?

Post by itcaptainslow »

The only way to be sure is to test ride one. However I'd venture the Forza would be a good bet as-you need quite long legs to get your foot flat on the floor, the screen extends to be pretty tall and you can sit well back in the seat.

I'm 5ft 10, so about average and the Forza suits me well and feels like it would still be comfortable if I were taller.
itcaptainslow
Regular User
Regular User
Year: Forza 125 2015
Color: White/blue

Post by itcaptainslow »

Also-you are correct regarding the service intervals-the running in service is at 600 miles (oil only) then at 4,000 miles (valve clearances), then every 4,000 miles thereafter.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

If you have a full icence why get a 125?
If it wuz me, I would be looking for a good used S-wing ABS, should be able to pick one up for half the price of a Forza.
Here you go, this kind of thing: www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201506154333535
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
steve345uk

Post by steve345uk »

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll try and get down the local Honda dealers to take a look. Might take a look at the S-wing too, although I think the new Forza looks better. A local dealer has one for £1500 but it was very corroded.

I've had a full license for a long time, learned to ride on a 250, so don't really see moving up/down to a 125 as some sort of requirement/taboo ;) Truth be told, it can be as much fun riding a small capacity bike at 60, as riding a faster bike near it's limits.

I'd consider the SH300i, but it's not imported anymore. Most of the other "larger" scooters seem a bit expensive for what they are and in many cases a bit cramped too.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

There's a new model of SH300i just been announced in France on ScooterStation, it might arrive here next year-ish.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
steve345uk

Post by steve345uk »

Interesting, thanks for that. Hopefully Honda UK will think about importing it.
steve345uk

Post by steve345uk »

I had a chance a lunchtime to blast down to my "local" Honda dealers and they had a Forza in stokc but not on demo. They also had a new Forza 300, SH125i and secondhand S-wing. Here's my impressions, from sitting on each of them:

Forza 300: Good looking bike, but not surprisingly not enough room for me, the seat the floor distance is pretty short and knees come a bit close to the front.

Forza 125: Not quite so good looking in grey as the the White/Blue one, but still good looking. More room than the 300, no knee problems but probably not a enough distance between the seat and floor (knees slightly higher than hips). Similar in size to the Yamaha 125 and 250 X-max.

SH125i: Smaller than rest but not a "small scooter", just lacking fairing, basically less bike in front of you! This has the most relaxed leg position, knees below hips, with plenty of knee room. However no option to go foot forward and no upper body wind protection. Top box makes up for relative lack of underseat storage.

S-Wing 125: Bit of a revelation this one - a LOT of scooter for your money. Felt and looked the biggest. Very decent legroom, with plenty of room to move around. Good sized screen and fairing. Not a great looker but better than a Burgman 125. Hips are about the same level as you knees. Good call gn2!

For me at least this puts the Forza 125 out of the picture - sorry but the SH and S-Wing are better options for those with long legs.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The one I linked to on Autotrader has gone but there's one on Gumtree for two grand.....
http://www.gumtree.com/p/honda-motorbik ... 1120719464
steve345uk

Post by steve345uk »

Thanks for the link, will keep my eye out for one locally, wasn't sure if the one I sat on was for sale or just sold. My other not so local dealer (Phoenix Stirling) has one for £1500, but it was heavily corroded.
knowledge boy
Year: 2014
Color: white

Post by knowledge boy »

Hi I'm 6'7" (200cm) I have ridden an sh125 and found it unsafe to ride with my knees getting in the way of the handlebars, I have sat on a forza and there is plenty of room compared to the sh125 and my cramped pcx, I plan to switch to a varadero 125 when the engine dies.
steve345uk

Post by steve345uk »

Good point, hadn't really thought about how far the handlebars would be from my knees when turning. I've probably got quite short legs for someone my height (35" inside leg). Took my NC for it's MOT and had another seat on the SH and Forza and have to say the Forza is a very impressive scooter, well built and has more foot placement options than the SH: foot forward, neutral and like a motorcycle with feet below hips. Hope Honda updates the 300 to the new shape - I'd definitely consider one.

Another thing I noticed is just how long the wheelbase is - this must make for a very stable ride.