Ordered a Forza 125...to replace my PCX!

General Honda Forza 125 chat, questions about the Forza 125, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: Ordered a Forza 125...to replace my PCX!

Post by iceman »

Cancel the order or ask for a discount! A month of delay is not on - they should know if stock is available for delivery to dealers and not mess customers around.
itcaptainslow
Regular User
Regular User
Year: Forza 125 2015
Color: White/blue

Post by itcaptainslow »

iceman wrote:Cancel the order or ask for a discount! A month of delay is not on - they should know if stock is available for delivery to dealers and not mess customers around.
To be fair-it's been two weeks rather than a month since I ordered the bike, so I'm not jumping up and down just yet. Patience is a virtue!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

itcaptainslow wrote:
iceman wrote:Cancel the order or ask for a discount! A month of delay is not on - they should know if stock is available for delivery to dealers and not mess customers around.
To be fair-it's been two weeks rather than a month since I ordered the bike, so I'm not jumping up and down just yet. Patience is a virtue!
But now it's at least another week? Almost a months worth of insurance wasted (if you had that pre-arranged) and travel costs for transport. They should at least knock of the price for the warmers :)
itcaptainslow
Regular User
Regular User

Post by itcaptainslow »

iceman wrote:
itcaptainslow wrote:
But now it's at least another week? Almost a months worth of insurance wasted (if you had that pre-arranged) and travel costs for transport. They should at least knock of the price for the warmers :)
Hasn't actually cost me anything as I'm still on my PCX with all the figures agreed; I have the salesman's commitment they won't change (otherwise I would be in a strop!).

If it drags on beyond next week (as I've been told it will be definitely here by then) I'll start getting a little annoyed.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Its a victim of its own poularity.
Lots of them getting sold all across Europe.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
itcaptainslow
Regular User
Regular User

Post by itcaptainslow »

The bike has finally arrived with the dealer-saw it getting PDI'ed this afternoon, with handover scheduled for tomorrow. Heated grips are on back order apparently-fortunately it's not winter!
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Get them done at the 1st service?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Its a victim of its own poularity.
Lots of them getting sold all across Europe.
Wotsa poularity?
itcaptainslow
Regular User
Regular User

Post by itcaptainslow »

Well, it's here-I collected on Friday. The new bike is awesome, which I'll attempt to summarise below. Shame the dealership experience was far from that-even more of a shame as I purchased the PCX from the same dealership (but different salesman) which was a brilliant buying experience.

So, the Forza. After picking it up I pretty much rode it straight home and put it in the garage for three days, as I was going away for the weekend with SWMBO. Coming back today I took it on a 50 + mile trip in the sunshine across lots of different road types, so a good opportunity to evaluate my purchase.

Positives
  • (Subjective) Great looks-the Forza really stands out compared to the PCX, especially in the white/blue colour scheme

Comfort-the ride is an awful lot smoother and the seat more supportive; no more numb bum after half an hour riding

Protection-the frontal area of the bike is much greater than the PCX (even with the PCX having the accessory tall screen fitted), so there's much less buffeting from the wind & rain (I test rode the Forza in the pouring rain)

Handling-the bike tips into corners a lot more willingly than the PCX-it's not quite as agile but it feels smoother, more secure and the turn in is sharper. It also resists being blown around and bumped off course by winds and ruts in the road. The brakes (discs front & rear) are also brilliantly powerful and progressive-never grabby but they have noticeably more bite, especially from higher speeds, than the PCX. To stop the PCX from 60mph without planning braking with a calendar I really had to pull the levers quite hard.

Speeeeeeeed! The Forza has an incredible top end for a 125cc machine! Whilst it isn't quite as nippy off the line as the PCX (I presume due to longer gearing and a lardier kerb weight) and there is a flat spot between 6,500-8,000rpm, above 8,000rpm to 10,500rpm it flies (for a 125cc!). I saw an indicated 80mph on a dual carriageway which didn't feel uncomfortable, before backing off to a refined 65-70mph cruise.

Storage space-the Forza kicks the PCX into touch for this. I cannot believe how huge the luggage box under the seat is! The PCX would just take a full face helmet and my carefully folded bike jacket-the Forza takes these with ease, plus shopping with more capacity. I could easily leave my gym bag in the "boot" of the bike as well as my lid and jacket-perfect as I can now go to the gym on the way to/way home from work.

Extended service intervals-I was delighted to find the Forza is on 4,000 mile intervals, rather than the 2,500 miles of the PCX. This is a biggie for me-I cover around 8,000 miles per year so it means two services annually, rather than three.

Negatives
  • Price-it's a quality, quality product but it is expensive for a 125cc scooter.

Weight-it is a hefty beast to shunt around when parking or putting it into the garage. You don't notice this on the move but you do need a bit of muscle to push the bike around.

Short arses may struggle with it, for the simple reason you sit quite high-I'm 5ft 10 and can't easily place my foot flat on the floor while straddling the bike. With due respect, an average height girl may find it difficult to handle-not ideal for something designed as an accessible commuting scooter.

The average MPG display only displays up to 99.9mpg, which basically means it's useless unless you ride WOT everywhere. I've not had a chance to calculate any MPG's yet having only covered a total of around 70 miles-I'll update the thread once I've filled up. I'm expecting around 110mpg, slightly less than the PCX returned (around 125mpg in my hands).

I'm not knocking my old PCX at all by the way (it sounds like I am!); it was a brilliant bike-great value, superbly economical and even though I took it out of its comfort zone (onto fast British A-Roads!) it coped admirably. The Forza feels like a grown up PCX, which is a compliment to both bikes.

Conclusion? The Forza is a superb commuter, ideal if you're carrying more items on fast roads for longer distances. It's mature enough to cope with motorways and fast trunk roads, yet nimble enough to cut through traffic.

However, don't discount the PCX-if your commute is a hop across town and you don't venture onto faster (50mph plus) roads that often, it is still a fantastic bike. You'll also save yourself nigh on £1,500, which is not to be sniffed at.

Thanks for reading-I hope you enjoyed! Comments/questions welcome. I did try and upload some pictures but unfortunately my camera phone has shot them in too high a resolution.
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Enjoyed reading your review, keep us updated, problems snags or just good times. May get one of these all be it may have to lower it for my short arse.
aka DrewJW
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Great review. What is it with Honda and Forza'a and fuel meters and mpg readouts :) - seems the larger Forza and now this struggle to give useful readouts compared to their lesser siblings and other makes.
itcaptainslow
Regular User
Regular User

Post by itcaptainslow »

I'm going to try switching it to miles per litre as described in the manual-at least it'll be a useable reading! I can then just multiply the figure by 4.546 to get the MPG.
Bart77

Post by Bart77 »

I just replaced my PCX 2011 with a new Forza 125 and I must confess that this was a very good choice. Bigger fuel tank, less fuel consumption (2,7 litre per 100km with full throttle), bigger space under the seat, bigger tires, better rear break, more comfortable position, LED lighting, ABS on front and rare wheel, build in high wind shield….what else could I have ? I'm really happy.
itcaptainslow
Regular User
Regular User

Post by itcaptainslow »

Switched the display over to miles per litre, which at least gives something I can make a calculation from. Looks like the bike is currently doing 108mpg, not as good as my PCX but not bad considering it's been mostly on fast roads and is still running in.
itcaptainslow
Regular User
Regular User

Post by itcaptainslow »

MPG has crept up to 112.5 today. Done 240 miles and still have two bars of fuel remaining-impressive tank range!

The Forza is really impressing me in how grown up it feels on the road-I've done a fair few miles this week all mostly on fast roads. No tight shoulders like I used to get with the PCX or the aforementioned numb bum. :D
itcaptainslow
Regular User
Regular User

Post by itcaptainslow »

I filled up today and reset the trip. Rode home from the station, then to Milton Keynes (a trip of around 30 miles total) and the display was averaging 130mpg! Not bad at all.

Still no word from the dealer about the heated grips. Indifferent service is heading even further downhill!
Victor46
Color: Black/Brown

Post by Victor46 »

Exchanging Varadero 125 for Forza 125. Took advantage of Honda's new rider offer; £150 off of accessories and kit. So, I ordered Honda Heated Grips priced at £150 and they have been fitted for free! But the real deciding factor is they will be covered by the same 24month warranty as the bike! That's a triple win so far!
But it has incurred a longer wait... But have just heard that this Scooter is ready to go!
itcaptainslow
Regular User
Regular User

Post by itcaptainslow »

Victor46 wrote:Exchanging Varadero 125 for Forza 125. Took advantage of Honda's new rider offer; £150 off of accessories and kit. So, I ordered Honda Heated Grips priced at £150 and they have been fitted for free! But the real deciding factor is they will be covered by the same 24month warranty as the bike! That's a triple win so far!
But it has incurred a longer wait... But have just heard that this Scooter is ready to go!
What dealership did you buy from out of interest?
Victor46
Color: Black/Brown

Post by Victor46 »

itcaptainslow wrote:
Victor46 wrote:Exchanging Varadero 125 for Forza 125. Took advantage of Honda's new rider offer; £150 off of accessories and kit. So, I ordered Honda Heated Grips priced at £150 and they have been fitted for free! But the real deciding factor is they will be covered by the same 24month warranty as the bike! That's a triple win so far!
What dealership did you buy from out of interest?
Grafton Honda. Very small family run dealership. Can only get info from owner. Frustrating, as they seem to be running on skeleton staff. Hope to make exchange early next week. Have even bought Tucano Urbano Pol jacket ie trendy scooter wear much more in keeping with the whole European gran touring style. Won't miss the bulky motorcycle clothing but will still be armoured with d30 inserts.

I noticed that you mentioned Milton Keynes and hail from these parts.
itcaptainslow
Regular User
Regular User

Post by itcaptainslow »

Just rolled over 600 miles today. Booked in for the first service tomorrow with Norton Way, the supplying dealership. The quote from memory was just over £70-not too bad, especially considering they're lending me a bike for the day. Hopefully the heated grips are being fitted tomorrow too-I never did receive a call from the salesman saying they were in. It seems after delivery and the money was taken, the amount of f***s given reduced vastly-funny that!

A real shame-the PCX buying experience (as I've stated before) from the same dealership was brilliant!