New Member, Tall Screen Colour and GPS

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Bazilbrush
Year: 2016
Color: Blue

New Member, Tall Screen Colour and GPS

Post by Bazilbrush »

I everyone, I'm new to the forum, but I find it very interesting with some great tips. I have a 2016 PCX, and just bought a 2017 Forza, that I'm setting up to do some travelling around Thailand.
I have two questions, I know the subject about different brands and heights of tall screens has been covered, but not much about the colour, dark tint, light tint, or clear, which is the best.
My second question is about fitting a GPS to the Forza, has anyone wired a GPS to their bike battery, and if so, was it easy to do, and do you have any tips, or photos, of how you went about doing it. I live in Pattaya, and I'm having trouble finding someone who knows how to fit a GPS, is there any one of you guys, who lives in this area, that might know someone that can fit it for me.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Baz
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: New Member, Tall Screen Colour and GPS

Post by gn2 »

The best screen is the one it comes with, tall screens just increase wind buffeting and noise.
Screen colour makes no odds because if it is fitted correctly to your height you will be looking over the top of it.
And why bother with GPS?
With GPS the fun of finding your way down routes less travelled is lost.

But Hi and welcome! :)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Welcome - it's great to have you with us!

Several here are fans of taller screens, but I'm not one of them either. I was quite conscious of the buffeting at wide-open-throttle when I first got the bike (especially with the cheap LS2 helmet I started with) - but these days with several tens of thousands of KM on the clock I don't really notice the buffet - and it's a bit quieter with my Schuberth C3 Pro helmet.

I've recently had the nose fairings off my bike (piece of cake when you know how) - from there it's relatively easy to tap into a power source that's active when the ignition is on - not sure about any hot circuits straight to the battery being accessible from there though. The "longer" way is to run some wires back to the battery; quite a few things need to come off - but the good news is there's only a few things holding each part on. If you have access to a good manual (I use a Cyclepedia subscription) then it would probably only take you a couple of hours if you're OK with wiring etc. Others will chip-in with more advice no-doubt.

Are you new to riding?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I don't know about the Forza but on my PCX I use the Battery Tender leads to connect power to my GPS. I run the wire through the hinge hole on the seat. Another option, using the same set up is to buy a secondary lead for the Battery Tender and run it through the handlebar tunnel, connecting it only when needed. There are secondary leads that have two USB ports on them that you can attach to your handlebar.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

I hate looking through a screen. I look through glasses and a visor on my Icon Variant helmet. I want to look over the Forza screen so colour is just a fashion statement.

I am 5 foot six and even with the tall Honda screen I can look over it. I would like it a few inches shorter at times.

I ride in the the very windy Fraser River Canyon in British Columbia, Canada. The wind was very violent with the short screen but rideable with the tall Honda screen.

I used to ride with a iPhone on GPS but the print is too small to see while moving. It was too big of a distraction as well.
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

I've always had screens just below my eyeline, and thought that was the best way to do it.

I've got an SH300. Most owners in Italy have those full-height barn door screens. When I bought the scoot I needed the screen brackets to be able to fit a low Givi screen, but Honda only sell them with the tall screen so it sat in the shed for months.

They look ridiculous, but I'm a year-round scooterer so I fitted the huge screen a couple of weeks ago. Initially it feels weird, as it's so close to you that it's easy to knock your helmet on it if you lean forward. But then it became a revelation.

I now ride with no buffeting and next to no wind noise. I can hear the most gentle of noises from the transmission, it's that quiet. And I can ride at 80mph with the visor open and absolutely no wind on my face. It's great. And I stay dry.

I've got some of Nikwax Visor Proof. A couple of squirts of that onto the screen and any rain beads and rolls off to the side.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

I would recommend a clear screen , but you should size to where your eye level is above the top of the screen. That would depend on your torso height. Once that measurement is acquired then proceed to order the correct tall screen. I cut mine down about 2 inches to accommodate my comfortable viewing angle. I am a tinkerer and also added some accessories to the Forza dash. As you will see in the photo I added two ports one USB multi and one 12 volt port for charging and jumping the dead battery. It can be used to power your GPS or any other portable device.I listen to Satellite radio as well, so you will see the antenna mounted. The ports are wired to the fuse block just inside the dash panel below the ports. Short piece of cabling does the trick .. You can use a telephone mount modified to accommodate the GPS.. Hope the pic helps give you some ideas.
Attachments
forza dash 1.jpg
forza dash 1.jpg (317.83 KiB) Viewed 1405 times
Bazilbrush
Year: 2016
Color: Blue

Post by Bazilbrush »

Thanks guys, I'm not new to bike riding, but just got back into it again last year. I got the PCX for riding around town, and just bought the Forza to go a little bit further afield. I'm getting it ready for a big trip around northern Thailand in January.
I have a bit of a problem with the wind beating against my chest as well, so I thought I'd see what you guys thought about this tall screen and colour, I was looking at a clear screen over a tinted one.
I live in a condo here, and don't have a workshop like I did in my house back in Australia, so I need to find someone who has the skills to be able to fit the GPS etc on the bike for me.
Thanks for the ideas and photos, I'll put some photos on my own up, once I get the work finished.

Cheers

Baz
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

Welcome to the Forum
A lot of good sensible advice above...and elsewhere in the Forum as you have found.
My tuppenceworth...I have a high screen on my Forza300...wouldnt be without it in Scotland...but if in a warm country I might not have bothered. I bought the dark tint screen because it was on offer...cheapscate Scotsman!!....dont get that one!!.Ok I am looking over the screen but in certain light and maneouvering slowly near kerbs there are times its pot black and cannot see through...clear or light tint is best. I will admit the high screen changes the appearance of the bike from a sleek bike to a bit of a scooter look...if you know what I mean...but looks dont bother me...just a comment.
Satnav..I fitted a Garmin Zumo myself and plugged into the socket in the glove box...I needed to drill a hole through the bottom of the box with a "long" drill and a long lead up to the Garmin mount on the handlebar. I am no DIYer but managed that myself and it works brilliant.
Enjoy the Forza300...IMO it is just a brillian bike and I have not experienced any of the issues some others have..likely just got lucky and got a good bike.
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Red

Post by MBMyer »

Since I’m not terribly regular here on the forum, I feel like a fraud welcoming you, but welcome.

I’ve always preferred to look over rather than through a screen, but I don’t share gn2’s experience of taller screens increasing noise & buffeting. And from other bikes, I know that I prefer a shorter screen around town than I do out on the open road. My solution on the Forza is the Givi adjustable; it has been a great screen for me. It is clear, so no help with your colour quest, but I like being able to quickly move it up & down as best fits my momentary needs.

One caveat: the lower part of the fixed section of the screen has some push-outs that direct air flow (& bugs) away from the hand grips. This is a great feature, but some people are bothered by the fact that in low light conditions you can see your front turn signals in that clear plastic where it is pushed out. It doesn’t bother me at all, but some people find it distracting when riding at night.

Pax et bonum,
Michael
Current ride: 2014 Forza bought new in mid-2015 with only 15K on the clock
Traded in: 2003 GL1800 with 152K and several IBA rides on the clock
6 other previous bikes
nearly 3/4 million miles logged
now just commuting instead of touring