Bestem or LEDs on the rear?

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Bestem or LEDs on the rear?

Post by fish »

Does anyone have a Bestem 929 on their Forza?
Here are some pix of it on my Kymco with the key on, key off, and brakes applied.
This box holds 2 full face helmets, and comes with the LED strip of running lights installed, a seperate brake light on the lid and a second series of LEDs which come on with the brakes applied.
In short, a lot of LEDs - which are very visible as running lights even in daylight, and a very bright group of lights when the brakes are applied. It is also quite visible in daylight from the sides, as the lights wrap around the box.
I think I worry more about what's going on behind me than I do in front.
Or, or....has anyone added a nice looking set of LED lighting similar to this on the back of their Forza?
I'm not certain I want this Bestem on my Forza, but I sure do want the lights it puts on my scoot!
(PS: the Bestem is not crazy expensive like those other designer/plastic boxes from Spain or Italy, or..wherever?
The Bestem w/wiring & lights installed, and with the mounting hardware and plate and padded back rest is @$125. There is also a nice liner for @$30)
Fish

Brakes applied

Ignition off...
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Bestem or LEDs on the rear?

Post by Mel46 »

Nice light set. I worry about what goes on behind me also, so I added a 'Night Riderz' sequential light to my license plate cover (from CustomDynamics.com) as well as some led lights on the top box rack. On my Burgman 400 I installed some led strip lights on the Givi bucket as well as the brake light on the top box itself. You can never have OK many tail lights. I like the setup you have on your little scooter. I would say get the Beaten if it comes with all of those lights already on it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

I just put a Bestem 929 on my Forza. Have not yet hooked up the lights thou. will try to post pics later
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Dennis wrote:I just put a Bestem 929 on my Forza. Have not yet hooked up the lights thou. will try to post pics later
Cool!
Look forward to your pictures!
Here's my install on a Kymco LIKE200i.
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?top ... #msg115684
Fish
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Dennis wrote:I just put a Bestem 929 on my Forza. Have not yet hooked up the lights thou. will try to post pics later
Made a carrier base using steel spaces, aluminum flat bar and some 1/2 thick plexiglass (I had laying around). Waiting for some parts to arrive before hooking up lights. Got some connectors on ebay that match the light harness in the forza plan to just make a small harness adapter inbetween the forza's harness connectors
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

seem to be having trouble getting pics to post :(
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

seems pics to large. need to resize them
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Lets try again
Attachments
IMG_0224.JPG
IMG_0224.JPG (113.51 KiB) Viewed 6474 times
IMG_0225.JPG
IMG_0225.JPG (135.56 KiB) Viewed 6474 times
IMG_0226.JPG
IMG_0226.JPG (140.47 KiB) Viewed 6474 times
IMG_0227.JPG
IMG_0227.JPG (109.58 KiB) Viewed 6474 times
IMG_0228.JPG
IMG_0228.JPG (111.41 KiB) Viewed 6474 times
IMG_0229.JPG
IMG_0229.JPG (109.66 KiB) Viewed 6474 times
IMG_0230.JPG
IMG_0230.JPG (136.67 KiB) Viewed 6474 times
IMG_0231.JPG
IMG_0231.JPG (131.89 KiB) Viewed 6474 times
IMG_0232.JPG
IMG_0232.JPG (164.3 KiB) Viewed 6474 times
IMG_0233.JPG
IMG_0233.JPG (164.99 KiB) Viewed 6474 times
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Dennis wrote:seems pics to large. need to resize them

Looks good. Nice job!
Are you going to set it up so that it is removable?
My one complaint of this Bestem 929 is that I can hear it moving a slight bit over bumps.
I have no interest in removing a top case once installed, so if I go with this Bestem on my Forza it will have a solid mounting (maybe of alum. stock) of some sort.
It's best feature is the running lights and added brake lighting. These are quite visible in the daylight, too.
2nd best would have to be the price.
Right now, I'm just enjoying the Forza's profile without a case ---plus I would be very limited in how I mount the scooter if I put on a case.
Right now I'm John Wayne-ing it. (He was a little shorter than me. He could probably get on a Forza with no issues)
Fish
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

If you mean removing the black mounting plate, Probably not as getting the nut and washers on the front is a bit tricky (can hardly get finger tip between bolt and spoiler cover plate).Do you mean the box or the mounting base moving? I have not heard anything from my box going over bumps on the way to work. Does your base have all 4 rubber support bumpers installed? I have seen pics where they where not installed in the plate while mine came with them installed. Parts I'm waiting on is a waterproof connector so I can disconnect the lights when removing case. Will probably run the wire down thru the seat latch opening. Will post more pics when that part is done.
Attachments
connector.JPG
connector.JPG (129.7 KiB) Viewed 6460 times
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

based the design of my carrier off one seen online made of hardened aluminum. seen one posted on ebay $139 but have seen some sites selling it for around $70
Attachments
APK0481200TA_001.jpg
APK0481200TA_001.jpg (29.94 KiB) Viewed 6458 times
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Got the lights hooked up. I installed a brake light flashing unit that I purchase along with the box on Amazon but didn't like it's performance.
Lights appeared dim and flashing was more dim to dimmer instead off on off and when it stopped flashing to stay on solid it would be at the dimmest point.

as you can see in the pictures I made a Harness adapter so I wouldn't have to splice into any wires.
Attachments
IMG_0268.JPG
IMG_0268.JPG (341.12 KiB) Viewed 6401 times
IMG_0269.JPG
IMG_0269.JPG (50.47 KiB) Viewed 6401 times
IMG_0270.JPG
IMG_0270.JPG (90.39 KiB) Viewed 6401 times
IMG_0271.JPG
IMG_0271.JPG (47.42 KiB) Viewed 6401 times
IMG_0272.JPG
IMG_0272.JPG (39.18 KiB) Viewed 6401 times
IMG_0275.JPG
IMG_0275.JPG (30.54 KiB) Viewed 6401 times
IMG_0279.JPG
IMG_0279.JPG (139.99 KiB) Viewed 6401 times
IMG_0280.JPG
IMG_0280.JPG (132.52 KiB) Viewed 6401 times
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Dennis wrote:based the design of my carrier off one seen online made of hardened aluminum. seen one posted on ebay $139 but have seen some sites selling it for around $70

That is a SUPERB job of wiring your Bestem top case.
Really, very well done!
If I was going to put one of these on my Forza I might try to commission you to make me a no-splice wiring harness like this! (at my age I can just barely mount this scooter by swinging on like a bike.....and any top case back there would compound the problem for my long legs!)
Any tips on where you found the parts used here?
Great job....thanks for posting!
Ride safe,
Fish
Virginian
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Post by Virginian »

Dennis wrote:Got the lights hooked up. I installed a brake light flashing unit that I purchase along with the box on Amazon but didn't like it's performance.
Lights appeared dim and flashing was more dim to dimmer instead off on off and when it stopped flashing to stay on solid it would be at the dimmest point.

as you can see in the pictures I made a Harness adapter so I wouldn't have to splice into any wires.
Just an awesome write up!

Not to be a thread necromancer but I sure wish he posted the items numbers, specifically to th e5 pin box connectors. Anyone have a links they can provide?

Thanks.
rmc10
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 forza
Color: red

Post by rmc10 »

Just ordered a Bestem 929 box to replace the smaller box I have on my Forza. I ordered the wiring harness with it. Just wondering how well these boxes are holding up? The lights look great.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Couple of years on. ..and mine is used every night.
If it ever quits I'd buy another...BEST safety feature for night riding. ..at a fraction of the other lighted top cases.
Fish
rmc10
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 forza
Color: red

Post by rmc10 »

Thank for feedback. Good looking Kymco you have, top case looks great on it. The case on my Forza just doesn't hold enough and I like the extra lights. The case looks good on Dennis's Forza too. rnc10
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I love the wiring harness adapter you did. That is very professional looking. I am concerned that you couldn't get brake light flashing unit to work correctly. It could be the unit itself, or several other things. That is why I purchased the Knight Riderz unit from CustomDynamics. It is a reputable site with good quality items. With all of the LED lights that I have added I did worry that it might not work correctly, but it did.
I would have loved to make an adapter harness like you did instead of soldering into a splice in the original wires, but I didn't know where to purchase the connectors and pins that match Honda's.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
mhdgraphics
Year: 2014
Color: Red Forza

Post by mhdgraphics »

Mel46 wrote:I love the wiring harness adapter you did. That is very professional looking. I am concerned that you couldn't get brake light flashing unit to work correctly. It could be the unit itself, or several other things. That is why I purchased the Knight Riderz unit from CustomDynamics. It is a reputable site with good quality items. With all of the LED lights that I have added I did worry that it might not work correctly, but it did.
I would have loved to make an adapter harness like you did instead of soldering into a splice in the original wires, but I didn't know where to purchase the connectors and pins that match Honda's.
I know this is old thread but this might help someone...

Cycle Terminal - OEM Japanese Wiring Terminals, Connectors,Kits and Supplies

http://www.cycleterminal.com/index.html
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

mhdgraphics wrote:
Mel46 wrote:I love the wiring harness adapter you did. That is very professional looking. I am concerned that you couldn't get brake light flashing unit to work correctly. It could be the unit itself, or several other things. That is why I purchased the Knight Riderz unit from CustomDynamics. It is a reputable site with good quality items. With all of the LED lights that I have added I did worry that it might not work correctly, but it did.
I know this is old thread but this might help someone...

Cycle Terminal - OEM Japanese Wiring Terminals, Connectors,Kits and Supplies

http://www.cycleterminal.com/index.html
That's a cool web site!
Good info, thanks.
Fish