Tucano Urbano leg cover

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Tucano Urbano leg cover

Post by MBMyer »

Well, here in the US of A, we had Thanksgiving yesterday and most of us had today off (thank you very much) so that we could all go shopping (no thank you). I used the day to get a whole bunch of to-do items checked off. A few of my items had to do with the scooter (new rear tire is being shipped; new M6-1.00 x 100 mm bolts ordered so I can put the hand muffs on have been ordered).

I went to install the Tucano Urbano leg cover (Thermoscud R164) for its second season. First I had to stitch up the cut I made last year for the parking brake lever that is on the US model but not on what is sold to most of the rest of the world. Then, when I was almost done, I went to tighten the straps that go across the dash and under the windscreen. The one on the left side failed in two different ways.

First, a piece of the plastic buckle broke off. Second, the fabric of the leg cover ripped. Cf. the first picture below. So, I just spent a long while outside repairing things with a sail needle and dental floss. That's right, I used dental floss.

Here in the States, insurance pays for us to go to the dentist twice a year. Each time we go, the dentist's office gives us a bag of freebies paid for by companies that want us to use their products. At my dentist's office, this is a small spool of floss, a travel-sized tube of toothpaste, and a toothbrush manufactured by whichever company had been the highest bidder. The only thing from the goody bag that I routinely use is the dental floss (I'm fairly picky about my toothbrush and toothpaste, so those freebies go to the wife, who uses them when she travels). Dental floss and a sail needle will fix nearly anything when you're out and about. The waxed floss is pretty picky about what knot you have to use, but its tensile strength is outstanding. I use it on the road a lot, and at home far more than I probably should.

So, here's the damage:
IMG_1689.JPG
IMG_1689.JPG (660.9 KiB) Viewed 978 times
Here's the first stitching, just closing up the hole in the Thermoscud's fabric:
IMG_1691.JPG
IMG_1691.JPG (734.67 KiB) Viewed 978 times
Here's the first line of stitching from the top:
IMG_1692.JPG
IMG_1692.JPG (688.13 KiB) Viewed 978 times
and from the underside (note the ripped fabric of the Thermoscud, still in place):
IMG_1693.JPG
IMG_1693.JPG (624.39 KiB) Viewed 978 times
Here's the job closer to done (yes, I know that it's not a pretty stitching job; I just need it to hold):
IMG_1694.JPG
IMG_1694.JPG (691.81 KiB) Viewed 978 times
I then stitched the end of the strap up because the tension buckle had broken (cf. first picture. The completed job looks like this:
IMG_1697.JPG
IMG_1697.JPG (959.45 KiB) Viewed 978 times
From a distance, you can't even tell:
IMG_1698.JPG
IMG_1698.JPG (1.13 MiB) Viewed 978 times
I hope you all don't have to do this sort of repair, but I did, and now it's done.

Pax et bonum,
Michael
Current ride: 2014 Forza bought new in mid-2015 with only 15K on the clock
Traded in: 2003 GL1800 with 152K and several IBA rides on the clock
6 other previous bikes
nearly 3/4 million miles logged
now just commuting instead of touring
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Re: Tucano Urbano leg cover

Post by MBMyer »

For those who care about such things, the odd bit in the picture behind the center stand and in front of the rear wheel is the ale I was drinking.

No, I didn't get very far in it until I was done with the actual work. Sorry. I'm a wimp.
Current ride: 2014 Forza bought new in mid-2015 with only 15K on the clock
Traded in: 2003 GL1800 with 152K and several IBA rides on the clock
6 other previous bikes
nearly 3/4 million miles logged
now just commuting instead of touring