Rear Shocks

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Atabone
Year: 2016
Color: Forza 300silver

Rear Shocks

Post by Atabone »

Hi Guys

I know there are a number of threads on the rear shock topics, but i would like a opinion.

I live in Malta, so we have very poor roads here, lumpy and pothole ridden.
I weigh 220 lbs, and i currently have my pre-load switching between 4th and 5th when riding solo. haven't take a pillion yet.

The rear suspension is very harsh i found and would like to make it a bit better

I have 2 options available to me

Malossi RS24

YSS Eco sport series shock with Reservoir.

Pricing of them with shipping to me is about the same, so the pricing is not a factor

YSS wins on the looks department, and also i understand is more adjustable

however which is a better product, and which has a better ride?

thanks!
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Re: Rear Shocks

Post by Oyabun »

I'm not sure anyone would have direct comparison of the two shocks.

The YSS is infinitely adjustable - so you can dial it in more precisely potentially. On the other hand the Malossi has finite definitive preload adjustment possibility what is handy if you plan to ride with a pillion from time to time.

I have direct experience with the YSS shocks. I find them very good quality so far. Probably a bit too sporty at the beginning, but the loosen up slightly after a few thousand kms.
Atabone

Post by Atabone »

yes, right now i am leaning towards the yss shocks, as i heard they are a big improvement over the stock shocks,
when you say they are a bit too sporty, what do you mean?

what are people's views on the malossi?
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

My opinion is that you may have better rear shocks but the rest of the scooter is no better. You are about 40 pounds heavier than me. I set the rear real soft and it is OK but my front can't handle bumps at all. My front may be defective.

A high performance rear with a low performance front makes no sense at all. Either of the shocks would be good for a racetrack, the real world is different.

The type of tires also makes a big difference. The original tires were a bit harsh. The Michelin City Grips I have on right now are acceptable but hard to get here (back ordered) so I will try a Michelin Power Pure next.

I ride my Forza on Forestry back roads sometimes and have to go slowly around the potholes.

Scooters have so little suspension travel and smaller tires that is almost a waste of money to make them into a pothole capable machine. The Forza is a scooter not a dual sport as a few have told me here. I accept the limitation and ride on anyway.
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Oyabun »

@Dave I beg to differ. The scooters have so short suspension travel is total bullcrap. A supersport 600 class bike has the same 10cm-ish suspension and it is still properly damped. Not gliding through stuff, but properly set.

There is a perefect solution for the front also, for the same amount of monex as the rear shocks. One should install the proper sized cartridge emulators (either racetec gold valves or YSS PD valves) fill with the right fluid and the difference is night and day.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

So how well does a super sport 600 handle potholes?

For a racetrack I agree with you but potholes?

Seems a lot of money to make a scooter into a dual sport.
Atabone

Post by Atabone »

Well no one said making it handle like a dual sport
My issue is currently on my own i have the rear suspension cranked to preload 5... which means when i have a pillion i can not preload any further.
If i move it to preload 4, it bottoms out too much, and bounces too much,

So i would like to improve the suspension to a more acceptable level, as right now it is quite poor even when compared to other scooters.

The reality is that the rear shocks cost 250 euro for a set of 2... so if the front had to cost the same, 500 euros is the total its not all that much of a huge expense, and some thing i am very willing to spend. on a scooter which is just under 6K euros

My expectation is not for this scooter to be a "dual sport" or racing bike, just to improve the comfort a bit as a commuter in a country were our roads a less than ideal.
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Oyabun »

I don't know where are you living, but I can get a pair of yss Z series for 150€ ish delivered to me.
The front is less sensitive to rider weight, but a pair of yss PD valves go for about 65£ and if you want to install a pair of stronger springs that can be bought for 85US or 60-ish in case it is on sale from Webike.
So the whole front and rear could fit into 300 usd
Atabone

Post by Atabone »

i'm based in malta, europe (small island in the Mediterranean sea)
do you ave a link, as i cant find them on webike

i would then have taxes to pay, but that should be ok
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Oyabun »

Look at powerbypcx.com. they also provide a 10% discount to members of this forum if you want to buy from them. Bikerzbits us cheaper, but only delivers shock absorbers via a vey expensive shipping method.
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Oyabun »

Ps. The Z series provide the same street perfomance as the external gas reservoir G series - but they are more cost effective and look similar to stock.
Atabone

Post by Atabone »

but powerbypcx only does PCX stuff right? as there don't seem to be any Forza items...

incase has anyone used bikerzbits before to ship to europe? might do a bundle order of a few goodies
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Oyabun »

My bad at the first post I was still aware that we're talking about forza shocks but at the last post I've got lost as I only checked active topics.
I have used bikerzbits for ordering to EU (I'm in Hungary). They were very helpful and reliable so far.
Atabone

Post by Atabone »

cheers, thanks for all your help... i may be putting a order together then with a few goodies :)
Atabone

Post by Atabone »

So i got the YSS shocks, and installed them, and to me, i feel a huge difference is the comfort of the suspension.
The shocks are still on the factory preload, and it does ride a bit hard/stiff, how ever it never bottoms out. the orginal shocks always gave me a sharp jolt as it bottomed out, and crashed about.
the yss are loads better, when riding solo, and with a pillion!

Definitely a upgrade i would recommend to anyone

below is a pic of the upgrade as a thread without photos is worthless :)
Also on the bike i have the tucano leg cover (rolled up) and the bikerbitz handle bar ends and brake leavers just for a bit of eye candy :)

next on the list is a custom seat, just to give me a few more inches of legroom, as i am a bit of a tight fit on it :)
Attachments
IMG_20161112_115147.jpg
IMG_20161112_115147.jpg (259.93 KiB) Viewed 2625 times
swampass
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by swampass »

i have the ohlins set up in my forza. i swapped a friend scooters and did not mention the shocks. he was unaware they were fitted. After a 20 mile back road jaunt he commented on now well the forza was damped. i pointed to the shocks and he laughed. "well, that explains that" he said.