Satnav question

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Satnav question

Post by Theboybilly »

Sorry if this has been asked but I used the search and can't find anything:
I am off to Belgium in August and am going to borrow my 'other half's' TomTom Start 20 for getting about. In the UK I don't bother with Satnavs but feel more confident with one when driving abroad. My question is this- how do I run the TomTom power lead to the 12v socket in the left-hand box? I tried it today and I can't close the lock. I've read there's an inspection panel but I'm blowed if I can find it. I will have a waterproof cover to fix the Satnav to the bars but I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to run the lead. Any help for this silly old duffer most welcome. Oh, bye the way, I've already had to take the Forza back to get that lock replaced as they are so flimsy...I don't really want to do it again.

Bill
Image[/URL
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014
Color: grey

Re: Satnav question

Post by dergav »

someone else may know better...but the only solution I found was to drill a hole in the base of the left box and run an extended satnav connection lead down and back up through the steering column space.Hole needs to be big enough to take the plug end of the lead and I had to use an extended drill piece to get to the base of the box. I am not aware of any way of taking the lead through the door of the box other than cutting a "nick" to let a cable sit and that wasn't for me.. If only a one of temporary solution for your trip then perhaps taping the box door shut over the cable would work .Also have you tried the satnav when riding yet...I found my tomtom fairly useless as (1)I could not hear it ( it didn't have an ear piece connection) and (2) difficult to see the map in certain light. Hope someone else may be able to advise better...but enjoy you trip.
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Theboybilly »

Thanks for the replay Dergav. I did think of the tape solution as when the plastic tab broke on the lock I had to run around like this for a couple of weeks until I got it fixed under warranty. It would be okay for the short time I'll be riding from Calais to Mons and back (2 hours each way all on good roads) but not so good for running around sightseeing perhaps. I don't want to fork out for a dedicated motorcycle Satnav only to use it once or twice at most a year. I also looked into using the maps on my phone. I presume my offline map app wouldn't drain to much battery in a couple of hours and would last me the journey to my hotel.
Image[/URL
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

My iPhone drains really fast when using navigation. Try it locally before your trip. I cut a nick for the door. The iPhone MotionX app is dangerous on a scooter because the text is too small to read while bouncing along.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Just get a real paper map, plan your route in advance and make notes to follow as you go.
I've navigated round many countries by this method.
If you study a paper map you build a mental picture of where you are, if you just follow satnav you're permanently lost.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I am a little simpler in my solution. My wife's and my PCX have the leads for the Battery Tender connected to the battery. I bought an adapter that can be plugged into the leads. It has a USB port. I run it through the seat hinge so that I can get access to it. Then I run a lead from my GPS to it, wrapping the lead behind the stuff on the handlebar to keep it out of the way. It gives me plenty of room for turning the handlebar in both directions. It is a Tom Tom. I have USB extention wires that I purchased somewhere, maybe Walmart or an electronics store. I can't remember. In any case, it gives me plenty of length.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Theboybilly »

Thanks for your replies:
gn2 - I will have paper maps with me and will mull over them in a bar in the Grand Place in Mons no doubt. But having a Satnav just gives me a little bit of security (in my head anyway) when riding on the right. When I'm in the car I find it helps at roundabouts etc. I have a fair idea of the layout of the surrounding area anyway but getting to some of the more remote sights I want to see may be a little easier with a TomTom...maybe not.

Mel46 - I shall look into a USB lead and see if I can rig that up in the way you suggest. Thank you
Image[/URL
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

If you look online at a place like monoprice.com you can find various lengths of usb extension cable. Find an electronics store in your area and they should have some. We have all sorts of electronics stores over here in the United States.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Hank

Post by Hank »

Get the Garmin hard wire kit, a Ram mount and hard wire it. I pulled the front cover off the bike and hard wired to the back side of the accessory socket.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Why is a Garmin Zumo motorcycle GPS over $400? Car GPS equivalent is way under $200.
Hank

Post by Hank »

I agree. I installed a Garmin Nuvi. I bought a discontinued model so if it gets damaged I'm not out much $$.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I have a Nuvi in my truck but it does not show any of the many logging roads around here. My older Nuvi requires an obsolete size card to update it. I was able once to accidentally do a USB update but I have no idea how I did it now. Too many brain injuries since then.

I should try the Nuvi on my Forza on a dry day. We do get one or two of them occasionally on the Wet Coast of Canada but not many.

I have a RAM mount ball just under my windscreen. Unfortunately I decided it looks like an emergency butt plug and I cannot get that image out of my brain while I am riding.