Honda high vs Givi non-adjustable shields - one more time!!

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

rdmstr

Honda high vs Givi non-adjustable shields - one more time!!

Post by rdmstr »

Hello all - I hope to be in a Forza 300 by spring 2016 and I have a request for those who have mounted either the high Honda windshield or the "non-adjustable" Givi. I have been running a Honda 250 Nighthawk for the past five years and have a windshield on it and the windshield height is perfect: just looking over the shield and the wind just touches the top of my helmet. The distance from the seat to the top of the windshield is ± 24.5". Can I get some feedback as to what the measurement is from the top of Forza seat to the top of the two windshields mentioned above. That info would be a great help for me to choose the windshield I would use. Thanks in advance.
Blackbeard1718
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Honda high vs Givi non-adjustable shields - one more tim

Post by Blackbeard1718 »

AHOY RDMSTR!

I can offer you a few Measurements, since I just installed the Givi D1123ST on my Forza last week. This is the fixed Givi Windscreen, with the built-in Hand Guards on the sides. PERFECT FIT for the Forza!

First: From the Front of the Vinyl Seat, right where it meets the Black Metal Hinge Plate, to the Top of the Givi, is 33".

Second: From the Back of my Seat, to the Top of the Givi is 40.5'ish".

FYI, I had removed my Butt Bumper from the Seat, so I could slide my 6'1" frame back a bit to get extra leg room & a bit more comfortable..... maybe gained 2". So, most likely, with the Butt Bumper installed, it's probably somewhere around 38'ish".

BTW, at 6'1", moved back onto the seat a couple of inches, AND sitting on an AirHawk Seat Cushion, I can see over the Top of the Windshield about 2"... if that helps. That's exactly the way I like to ride.

Third: The Sport Windscreen that's installed on the Forza, leaves just a bit of room to maybe slide a hand between the Inside of the Windscreen, and the Black Domed Cover over the Dash.

With the Givi Installed, Measuring Horizontally from the Center of the Black Dash Dome to the Windscreen, is 8.5". Distance between the Black Dash Dome and the Windscreen at a Vertical 45-Degree Angle, is 7".

I mention these last two Measurements, because I have installed a Mobius ActionCam Dash Cam on the Black Dash Dome, looking out through the Center of the Windscreen. There is plenty of room for adjustment, and the Cam is not close to the Windscreen. So, if you're looking to install something on top of the Dash Dome, you've got some room to make it happen.

Hope that helps!

Best of Luck with the Spring Purchase!

Cheers!

BB
Blackbeard

"The Floggings will continue, until Morale improves!"

Current Scoot: 2014 Honda Forza 300 ABS (Red October)

Former Scoots: TNG Verona 150, Kymco People S200, Kymco People S250, Suzuki Burgman 400, Honda Ruckus 50, Yamaha Zuma 125, Kymco People GTi300, Honda Big Ruckus PS250
rdmstr

Post by rdmstr »

Thanks for the quick reply. Your measurements back up the comments I've received from others on the Givi shield. It may be a little bit too tall for me as I am around 5'-7" and I think I would be looking through it. Thanks again, you have given me some great info.
Hugh_Jaz
Year: 2016
Color: Red

Post by Hugh_Jaz »

I have the Honda screen... not sure about measurements but I'm not sure how productive they are given it's so dependent on helmet height which you don't really have. I believe the height for me is about perfect but I am 5'9" with a long torso (probably sitting equivalent helmet height to somebody closer to 5'11"). That said - it perfectly launches wind over my helmet, and the top of the screen is comfortably below my eye level, but I can also lean forward to completely hide behind the screen and look through it. The distortion is minimal and of no concern to me at all. If I had to find faults my only two would probably be:
1) the screen is narrow and does NOT offer wind protection for the grips/hands
2) the wind blast has a funny way of essentially pushing forward from behind the helmet - leading me to believe there is a slight vacuum effect in the air deadzone behind the shield up to my helmet.

However - the height and appearance are in my view superior to the slightly taller fixed Givi and I don't like the look of the grip deflection so in some ways my first "fault" was a deliberate trade-off choice. Top speed and stability seem unaffected - which is about 85-90 mph indicated (a little over 9K rpm).

I am very happy with the purchase, but since I live in California in some summer months a go back to the stock screen. I have long since knocked off the two yellow vice-like clips that make removing the fairing to access the screen an exercise in finger strength and struggle between ability of the piece not to break before it pops free...

Overall I think it, along with the topcase, are absolutely awesome commuter mods and nearly must-haves for year-round riding.
2014 NSS300 Honda Forza
Givi Blade B47 Top-Case
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

I am short, 5 foot 6, and I have the tall Honda screen. It is too tall for me. I barely look over the top.

It is also too tall in that I do not get enough air on the shield of my iCon Variant helmet to blow off the rain.

The helmet vents also don't get enough air to keep it fog free in the rain.

I can scoot forward a little bit to get some air into the helmet.

I had the factory short shield but the really gusty Fraser Canyon winds made it painful to ride. The tall screen is definitely better in a wind.

I would like to try the adjustable Givi some day when I have some extra money.
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

Post by montliz44 »

Dave, you can cut down your screen if you want to. It's very doable, either by you with a Dremel wheel or small saw followed by some filing, or by a plastics shop. I've done several in the past. If you do it yourself, just cover the area with masking tape so your cutting tool won't scratch the rest of the plastic. If there's a plastic or commercial sign shop in your area, they can do it or sell you the right tool for the job. I know what you mean about not being able to see over the top. Bugs me too.

Johnny
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

When it warms up (-17C next week) I might try taking an inch off the top.

The fogging up really annoys me and is dangerous.
Hugh_Jaz
Year: 2016
Color: Red

Post by Hugh_Jaz »

Hey,

I posted above about the tall Honda screen being perfect and I paid a little more attention to where the top of the screen actually is.

In fact for me when I'm sitting upright making no attempt to hunch or be taller the top of the screen is about at the bottom of my chin or high on my neck. And although I'm 5'9" my inseam for pants is 29 which should give you and is that my torso is rather long...

Anyway it seems a normal 5'7" person might well have the screen about cheek height.

Still, without cutting you have three options in the USA unless you want to try to get a Puig screen imported, of the two non-adjustables Givi and Honda, Givi is taller. The adjustable Givi is in fact shorter than both even fully extended but it's much better designed and deflects wind better than either of the fixed ones.

So there are your choices :)
2014 NSS300 Honda Forza
Givi Blade B47 Top-Case