Laminar LIP installed on standard short Forza windshield

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

Laminar LIP installed on standard short Forza windshield

Post by montliz44 »

Hi all,

When I bought my Forza, one of the first things I noticed at highway speeds was that the sturdy and beautiful stock windshield took all the air away from the front of the scooter and dumped it right on my chest and face.

I always wear a full-face helmet and earplugs, so there wasn't a noise problem, and, thanks to Honda's excellent design, there wasn't any turbulence either, but the wind blast at speed, as you all know, was waay too much for comfort. I knew the problem could be fixed with a better windshield setup, but my experience with other bikes had taught me that high-dollar aftermarket windshields, though eliminating the blast, can create really annoying and tiresome turbulence.

I have had excellent results using Laminar LIPs on two other bikes, so I went to their website right away to see what they had for the Forza. They only listed a LIP for the tall Honda accessory shield, so I called out there and talked to Andy, who told me that they had just finished the design of a LIP for the short shield but had not shown it on their website yet because they didn't have a photo of it for the webpage.

He said he would pay the shipping if I installed it and took a picture of it for their website, so that sealed the deal, and four days later the package was on my doorstep. Ten minutes after that it was installed on my scooter and I was in the wind, checking it out.

It works great. It eliminates the blast and creates a quiet zone with zero turbulence around your helmet. In other words, it performs exactly as I expected and as they advertise. I just waited until they posted the pic on their website before I posted this thread.

Here's the link, and that's my beautiful scooter in the picture: http://www.laminarlip.com/forza.php

Ride safe and have fun and remember, Spring is just around the corner.

Johnny
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Laminar LIP installed on standard short Forza windshield

Post by gn2 »

How does it fit on, do you have to drill the original screen?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Blackbeard1718
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Blackbeard1718 »

gn2 wrote:How does it fit on, do you have to drill the original screen?

GN2!

No Drilling! If it's like the one I had on my Burgman before, it Installs with Stick-On Velcro Buttons. Just Measure and Stick! They gave me Extra Velcro Buttons, in case the others got worn out, from Removing the Lip too often. I just left mine on, and it was fine.

If you need to remove the Lip temporarily, just pull on it lightly, to separate the Hook/Pile Tabs from each other. It goes right back on in the same place later, when Re-Installing. It's sturdy! I had mine up to 80mph several times in the past, and it never moved!

Hope that helps!

Cheers!

BB
Blackbeard

"The Floggings will continue, until Morale improves!"

Current Scoot: 2014 Honda Forza 300 ABS (Red October)

Former Scoots: TNG Verona 150, Kymco People S200, Kymco People S250, Suzuki Burgman 400, Honda Ruckus 50, Yamaha Zuma 125, Kymco People GTi300, Honda Big Ruckus PS250
TonyM
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: red

Post by TonyM »

gn2,

I've installed the Laminar Lip on both my Silverwing and my 2008 Burg 400 stock windscreens. They do work well.

You do not need to drill anything. The LL is attached to the stock screen with 3M Dual Lock dots - which is like a very heavy duty, velcro type attachment process.

The LL can be removed several times from the screen before the dots have to be replaced. You have to remove the LL when you clean the screen or LL properly with whatever you use to clean the clear acrylic material.

Seems to me that the LL would still be too low on the stock low screen of the Forza. I installed the tall Honda screen when I had my Forza and it worked really well. Too bad the bike didn't work for me. I now ride a Burg 400 again.
US Army vet
Previous rides: many motorcycles; 2007 Honda Silverwing; 2009 Kymco S250; and 2008 Burg 400
kar120c
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 Forza 300
Color: White

Post by kar120c »

pics please
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I sent them a note previously to ask about putting one on a Givi windshield and they told me that they do not make them for add on windshields. I really like their LL but the PCX original windshield is, in my opinion, not a windshield at all, but rather just an instrument panel cover. I think that if they made one for the Honda tall windshield it would help a lot.
My only other option is the MRA X-creen, but the cost of it is close to the cost of a replacement windshield. Anyone know of another option? These things really do work, just not on a PCX, unfortunately.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Richard
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Black

Post by Richard »

jblye
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jblye »

Here's what I used on my Givi tall windshield (from my previous post). The Saeng edging should also work on pre-2015 PCXs (which use a
different tall Givi windshield):

Givi D1130ST TALL Windscreen (Purchased from Tour and Ride....Givi's USA online store)......This tall windscreen works fairly well as is,
but it still has some wind noise and helmet buffeting, so I tried a couple of upgrades. At first, I installed a 10 inch Universal Laminar Lip.
That provided some improvement.....but mostly in the center 10 inches of the screen....and the fit to my D1130ST was not ideal, so I sent
the Lip back for a refund. Then I purchased 3 feet of Saeng's Micro Swirl edging (see pics) for about $45. That made a significant improvement,
reducing wind noise and buffeting from the top AND the sides of the screen. Without the edging, the air stream hits the center of my helmet
visor and about 2 inches from the sides of my helmet. With the edging, the air stream barely hits the top of my helmet and is about 4 or 5
inches away from the sides of my helmet. Much quieter and smoother airflow behind the screen ! NOTE: I DON'T THINK THAT THIS EDGING
WOULD BE VERY EFFECTIVE FOR LOWER LEVEL WINDSCREENS. With the D1130ST windscreen, I'm JUST looking over the top of the screen,
so the effect of the edging is maximized. For reference, I'm 5 feet - 10 inches tall....but long waisted. A rider of similar height who is not long
waisted should get an even better improvement than I did. Click here:

http://johnnysstuffblog.blogspot.com/se ... -results=1

Hope this helps.
Johnny
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Where do you get the Saeng's Micro Swirl edging?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
jblye
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jblye »

mel, here's the link:

http://www.saeng.com/category.php?category=80

Note: My edging is NOT the peel and stick version.
That type doesn't bend around corners very well. Mine is the
regular Gen 4 version.

Johnny
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I don't understand. Enjoy the wind, get a car or walk