Changed your bar ends?

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Changed your bar ends?

Post by Mister Paul »

I'm not giving up on these Givi muffs yet, and guess I can get them to fit if I swap the standard Forza bar ends for some which are longer and have a smaller diameter.

Has anyone changed their bar ends for something like this?
kar120c
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 Forza 300
Color: White

Re: Changed your bar ends?

Post by kar120c »

Mister Paul wrote:I'm not giving up on these Givi muffs yet, and guess I can get them to fit if I swap the standard Forza bar ends for some which are longer and have a smaller diameter.

I changed with these http://www.powerbyforza.com/en/h2c/108- ... s-300.html
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I tried to get one of the weights off of my pcx and had to give up because the screw would not budge. I don't know what the secret is to getting them off but it must include a gorilla.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red

Post by j.d.b. »

Mister Paul wrote:I'm not giving up on these Givi muffs yet, and guess I can get them to fit if I swap the standard Forza bar ends for some which are longer and have a smaller diameter.

You could try one of these: http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-scr ... 37530.html
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Mel46 wrote:I tried to get one of the weights off of my pcx and had to give up because the screw would not budge. I don't know what the secret is to getting them off but it must include a gorilla.
You could try one of these: http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-scr ... 37530.html

I also gave up - tried an impact screwdriver and the bit bent! (yes, it was a normal hardened bit not the one that came with the impact driver as they were not the correct type). Apparently most are fixed on with red loctite which seems as strong as the metal. Advice was to go to a dealer/garage and ask them to loosen the bolts.
Alternatively I was going to drill them out, pull the bar end off then grip the remaining bolt and twist using a large grips - but that was just to fit hand guards to cut wind-chill and at present gloves with thin liners are working ok for commuting.
DioTiAma
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 NSS300A
Color: Seal Silver

Post by DioTiAma »

Paul, don't buy from PowerByForza. They are EXPENSIVE. https://bikerzbits.com/honda/forza/?p=1
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

Mel46 wrote:I tried to get one of the weights off of my pcx and had to give up because the screw would not budge. I don't know what the secret is to getting them off but it must include a gorilla.
I really struggled with one of mine. Managed in the end by using an allen socket in a small rachet.
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

kar120c wrote:

I changed with these http://www.powerbyforza.com/en/h2c/108- ... s-300.html
Thanks, but they look to be too big. I'm after something with a smaller diameter.
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

Does anyone know what size the bolt is that holds on the end that the bike comes with?
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red

Post by j.d.b. »

Red Loc-Tite? Try heating the bolt/screw with a hot soldering iron. That will usually soften the Loc-Tite enough to get the bolt moving. These aren't reverse-thread, are they? Wouldn't be the first thing on these bikes like that (mirrors).
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

j.d.b. wrote:Red Loc-Tite? Try heating the bolt/screw with a hot soldering iron. That will usually soften the Loc-Tite enough to get the bolt moving. These aren't reverse-thread, are they? Wouldn't be the first thing on these bikes like that (mirrors).
exactly....I used a butane cigar torch on the bolt, one of mine was real tight. Use Loc-tite BLUE for the new ones so it does not happen again.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Red

Post by MBMyer »

I'm also looking for longer, smaller diameter bar end weights and for the same reason. So far, all the ones I've seen on other bikes have the odd non-flat inner end like my VFR and Goldwing both had. Right now, I'm considering getting some long sportbike ends and grinding that inner end flat.

In the meanwhile, I have mounted the muffs with the use of fender washers and countersink adaptors. It's dark here now, but I'll run out and shoot a picture.

I also had to cut some length off of the right-hand rubber grommet that goes through the muff. It was holding my throttle in place, which I didn't feel was quite safe.

So, on a sub-freezing morning like the last two days, my hands have been fine even without gloves due to the deflection provided by the Givi airflow windscreen combined with the Tucano Urbano muffs. My legs are protected by a Tucano Urbano blanket, but that's an item for another post.

Pix soon.

Pax et bonum,
Michael
Current ride: 2014 Forza bought new in mid-2015 with only 15K on the clock
Traded in: 2003 GL1800 with 152K and several IBA rides on the clock
6 other previous bikes
nearly 3/4 million miles logged
now just commuting instead of touring
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Red

Post by MBMyer »

OK, here's my temporary fix for the Tucano Urbano Muffs on my 2014 Forza. As has been noted, they really want a longer bar with a skinnier bar end weight. If one just brute forces the installation with no modifications, the screw that goes into the bar end weight simply pulls through the rubber grommet that fits through the muff and is supposed to hug the bar end weight. You can see in these pictures how the muff is puckered in because I have forced it to hug the end of the short, fat bar end weights.
Left exterior.JPG
Left exterior.JPG (109.9 KiB) Viewed 6450 times
Right exterior.JPG
Right exterior.JPG (96.08 KiB) Viewed 6450 times
In these two pictures, I hope you can see how I stacked a countersink washer on top of a medium-sized fender washer. These keep the end of the machine screw from pulling through the rubber grommet that comes with the muff. A little blue loctite or contact cement on the threads will keep the machine screws from vibrating loose.

The grommet, aside from being too narrow an inside diameter for the stock bar ends, is too long and grips the end of the throttle grip. I found it easy enough to trim the end of that grommet. Here's a picture of the interior.
Right interior showing cut grommet.JPG
Right interior showing cut grommet.JPG (157.54 KiB) Viewed 6450 times
And for those who remember that I adapted a friction throttle lock, you may want to know that it works fine inside the muff. Here it is, again shot from inside:
Right interior throttle lock.JPG
Right interior throttle lock.JPG (191.57 KiB) Viewed 6450 times

HTH,
Michael
Current ride: 2014 Forza bought new in mid-2015 with only 15K on the clock
Traded in: 2003 GL1800 with 152K and several IBA rides on the clock
6 other previous bikes
nearly 3/4 million miles logged
now just commuting instead of touring
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Anyone know of some adaptors that are based on o-rings that tighen over the current bar end circumference but have some metal bit at 90deg to the bar end to bolt hand guards to (best description I can think of) :) - for those that can't get the bolts out.
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

iceman wrote:Anyone know of some adaptors that are based on o-rings that tighen over the current bar end circumference but have some metal bit at 90deg to the bar end to bolt hand guards to (best description I can think of) :) - for those that can't get the bolts out.
I got my bolts out using a small rachet with a posidrive bit in.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Mister Paul wrote:
iceman wrote:Anyone know of some adaptors that are based on o-rings that tighen over the current bar end circumference but have some metal bit at 90deg to the bar end to bolt hand guards to (best description I can think of) :) - for those that can't get the bolts out.
Three of us tried using proper bits and long extenders, all we did was trist one of the bits and luckily not chew the bolt end (the opposite handlebar was pressed firmly against a wall and weight was placed on the tool, but the loctite won). I can try heat of pay to get them removed (or drill them out and remove the plastic bar ends) but there must be something made that fixed onto the bar ends to allow guards to be attached - there has to be something like that for sale - or maybe not. Another marketing opportunity :)
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

iceman wrote:
Mister Paul wrote:
Three of us tried using proper bits and long extenders, all we did was trist one of the bits and luckily not chew the bolt end (the opposite handlebar was pressed firmly against a wall and weight was placed on the tool, but the loctite won). I can try heat of pay to get them removed (or drill them out and remove the plastic bar ends) but there must be something made that fixed onto the bar ends to allow guards to be attached - there has to be something like that for sale - or maybe not. Another marketing opportunity :)
I don't know what they didn't put hex bolts into the bar ends.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

http://www.banggood.com/Motorcycle-PP-P ... 47615.html
£13 delivered. Seems to offer more protection against rain / wind than most hand guards.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Re my post above, the hand guard/wind guards above are very good for protection and do cover more than usual, however they are only for use on bikes that have nothing in front of the handlebars such as raised screen/dash, etc. They are no use for the PCX.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I did make home made wind guards for my wife's bike that worked quite well. I saw the instructions on a website and just followed them. They worked great... no end weight removal required. :-) :-/
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers