Fork Stabilizer

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Fork Stabilizer

Post by homie »

OH THANKS! now we have fear o_O boooooooooooooooooo
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

davenowherejones wrote:Those 4 bolts at the top of the fork are the only things holding your front wheel to scooter.
Err, no.
Those four bolts secure the forks in the yoke.
The wheel is retained by the screw thread on the spindle and the spindle clamp bolt.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mario
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Mario »

No, the 4 bolts are used to secure/close the clamps that are holding the forks.

davenowherejones wrote:
Mario wrote:Fact is that the Forza has a single crown (yoke) design front fork, known for its flex vs double crown designs like the best steering scooter the T-Max, mounting a fork stabilizer is the second best thing you can do on a single crown fork design.

Forza,

Those 4 bolts at the top of the fork are the only things holding your front wheel to scooter. I often wonder why the casting at the top does not crack every time I hit a pot hole. Scary when you look at it.

So is the front fender actually a structural member?
May the Forza be with you!!
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

Mario,
Leave it. He's the type of a person who all ways have to correct others to feel he is right. Both of you are saying the same he just does not see the full picture - while literally being correct.
Mario
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mario »

I posted the quote to bring clarity to all not only to convince davenowherejones ;)
Oyabun wrote:Mario,
Leave it. He's the type of a person who all ways have to correct others to feel he is right. Both of you are saying the same he just does not see the full picture - while literally being correct.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

gn2 wrote:
davenowherejones wrote:Those 4 bolts at the top of the fork are the only things holding your front wheel to scooter.
Err, no.
Those four bolts secure the forks in the yoke.
The wheel is retained by the screw thread on the spindle and the spindle clamp bolt.
Try taking those four bolts out and see how far you get.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Oyabun wrote:Mario,
One of the reasons I said about the four bolts was that mine were not tight and I was having control issues. I have also worked on aircraft where the engine was held in by four bolts. It is critical that they work correctly in both situations.

I like the idea of a fork stabilizer because there seems to be some slop in the front of a Forza scooter. I also have a DR650 and it handles bumps substantially better than the lesser engineered Forza. And it is not just because of the bigger wheels.

Structurally the Forza is weaker. The stress put on that part could lead to cracks. I will now ride my Forza only on better roads for which it was intended.

I am all in favour of other educating me any time they can.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

homie wrote:OH THANKS! now we have fear o_O boooooooooooooooooo
Actually, I have fear every time I ride. Girls texting, truck drivers dumping their loads, RCMP hiding in the bushes, gang members shooting each other, senile senior citizens with dementia, drunk drivers, mountains falling down, rivers and snow.

I live in the area covered by the Discovery Channel Canada program Highway Thru Hell http://www.discovery.ca/Shows/Highway-Thru-Hell

If it was safe to ride my Forza I probably would not do it. I like being scared and fighting through it. I take too many risks though.

I ride in bad weather and go dumb places. I take chances with lots of dumb animals, bears, sheep, deer, moose, mountain goats, eagles, cattle, horses, vultures, teenagers and pretty girls.

I froze my 1977 Honda Civic and traded it for a CB125 which I rode from Vancouver to Newfoundland and back. I had a GPZ 305 which I rode through forest fires and a big mushroom cloud near the Hanford Nuclear Reservation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanford_Site
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

homie wrote:
iceman wrote: If someone brought out a flux-capacitor for the PCX I bet there are some that would by it hoping to warp time and space, only it would be hard to reach the 88mph to activate the device! :)
I was hoping I didn't read this whole thread for nothing.
In honour of the recent Back to the Future Day I took my Forza up to 88 mph. I am too old to go that fast but I did it once and then slowed down. I like my Forza but it sure is not a racing bike. ps Nothing happened at 88.
BRed
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2023 XMax 300
Color: Grey and black

Post by BRed »

I think that's the deciding factor here.....speed!

If you've ever ridden your Forza in a full tuck at 85mph (or faster) and leaned on the handlebars for a fast lane change, you've probably had to oversteer and then correct because of the springy front end Mario mentioned.

You don't notice it at lower speeds but over 80mph there is a little steering lag....
I think the gyroscopically stabilized front wheel resists input a little more at those higher speeds.

and yes, the fender IS a structural member, since it's the closest thing to a fork brace you get!

on the fork brace...
for those who ride like Mario, it's a good idea...
for those who putt putt at 45, not so much.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

davenowherejones wrote:
Try taking those four bolts out and see how far you get.
You'll go a lot further than if you took the wheel spindle out :roll:
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mario
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mario »

Not only at hi speed you notice the benefits of the brace, on all speed's its clearly less vague and you feel more in control.
BRed wrote:I think that's the deciding factor here.....speed!

If you've ever ridden your Forza in a full tuck at 85mph (or faster) and leaned on the handlebars for a fast lane change, you've probably had to oversteer and then correct because of the springy front end Mario mentioned.

You don't notice it at lower speeds but over 80mph there is a little steering lag....
I think the gyroscopically stabilized front wheel resists input a little more at those higher speeds.

and yes, the fender IS a structural member, since it's the closest thing to a fork brace you get!

on the fork brace...
for those who ride like Mario, it's a good idea...
for those who putt putt at 45, not so much.
Brent
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Brent »

How much was the stabilizer, and do you think it was worth the cost?!?
Mario
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mario »

See first post, IMHO money well spent.
Ben2talk
Color: Grey/black

Post by Ben2talk »

gn2 wrote:
Mel46 wrote:Let us know if it makes any difference.
It won't, tis but a cosmetic foible.
I can't say I've noticed a huge handling problem - PCX main weaknesses are 1. Low ground clearance getting over a bump at the end of my road (to be solved later with bigger shocks hopefully) and 2. It's a scooter - the engine is bouncing along with the back wheel. It's choppy, get used to it!

It's all relative, of course. The bike I sold would cost 10 times what the PCX cost new here in Bangkok... and my latest service (1000km came to 139 baht on the PCX) shows 8x cost. This baby is much less bike for sure, but looks nice enough and costs are virtually negligable.

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/pcx150/2015/bennn/389324]