Cameras for Scooters and Helmets!

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Blackbeard1718
Regular User
Regular User

Cameras for Scooters and Helmets!

Post by Blackbeard1718 »

A few months ago, I ALMOST bought a GoPro Hero + LCD Camera online, for $279. I literally had my Finger on the ENTER Key, to select the, "PROCESS ORDER" button onscreen. Something told me to WAIT... and do a bit more Research. Glad I did!

Had I purchased the GoPro, I would have had to also buy the SD Card, RAM Mount GoPro Attachment, and a few other Necessary Accessories to funtion on my Scooter. PRICEY!!!

While doing some Research afterwards, for things like DASH CAMS, MOTORCYCLE CAMS, HELMET CAMS, etc., I ran across an interesting Remote Control Model Forum. Most basically used the Mobius ActionCam, to record the Flights of their RC Model Planes.

Doing some more Research on the Mobius ActionCam, I found quite a few Cyclists, Mountain Bikers, Motorcyclists, Snowboarders, Extreme Parachutists, etc, use them for their Sports. From all of the Reviews I read, these small 2.5"L x 1.5"W x .75"H Cameras, are Rugged, Built Solid, and Inexpensive.

I found this website:

http://www.buymobius.com/

which offered a variety of Camera Packages, suited for most needs. For the Price of 1 GoPro and Necessary Accessories, I bought 3 Mobius ActionCams... 2 with the Supercapacitor (sans Battery), and 1 with a Battery... Mounting & Cable Packages, 3 32gb SD Cards (Micro SD Card and SD Card Adapter), and everything else I needed, for about the same price, as I could have purchased the GoPro and Accessories for.

I have a Camera in my car, and my wife's car as Dash Cams (Two with the Supercapacitor), and I have one on my Forza (Battery Camera). I recently ordered a 4th Camera, to use as a Helmet Cam, since they're so small.

The Car Cams and Scooter Cam, are set to Record at 1080p, while my Helmet Cam is set to 720p. These are really unique Cameras! I have an Android Phone, and I can plug a Pigtail into it, and watch my Videos on my Phone, with both Video & Audio. I can even set the Parameters of what I want my Cameras to do, by plugging the Pigtail into my Phone, with the Split Pigtail going into the Camera to set it using the Mobius App on my phone. Additionally, I can do the same thing by plugging the USB Cable into my Computer and Camera, and setting the Parameters using the Mobius Link on my Desktop. VERY COOL & VERY EASY TO USE!

I've got mine set for 5-Minute Videos, so it doesn't Record too much too fast, and skew the Video/Audio Quality. The Cameras are set to LOOP RECORD, so when it reaches the 32gb Capacity, it'll Loop and Record Over Old Video, unless you copy it elsewhere before it gets Recorded Over.

I have the two Cams in the Cars, set to 180-Degrees, so I can install the Cams upside down, and mount it to the Suction Cup Mount for the Window. The ones on my Scoot and Helmet, are set to Record at 360-Degrees.

Also, The Supercapacitors replace the Batteries, which requires an External Power Source to run them. I have a 12V Plug Adapter plugged into our cars, with the USB Cables, that plug into the Cams. When we turn the cars on, the Cams Power On, until we turn the cars Off, then the Cams Power Off. Nice and Neat, and no Buttons to push or forget to push.

The two on my Helmet and Scoot, are Battery Operated, and do require you to Manually Turn On/Off. I could run a Power Cord to the Scoot Cam, but I don't like Cords dangling on my Scoots.

If you're in the Market for a Scooter, Car, Helmet Dash Cam, you can't go wrong with these. Check them out, and you'll be surprised at the Excellent Video/Audio Quality they offer.

NO..... I DON'T Work for Mobius, I'm just a Consumer. Matter of fact..... I don't work for ANYONE..... I'm Retired/Retired! Image

Cheers!

BB
Blackbeard

"The Floggings will continue, until Morale improves!"

Current Scoot: 2014 Honda Forza 300 ABS (Red October)

Former Scoots: TNG Verona 150, Kymco People S200, Kymco People S250, Suzuki Burgman 400, Honda Ruckus 50, Yamaha Zuma 125, Kymco People GTi300, Honda Big Ruckus PS250
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Re: Cameras for Scooters and Helmets!

Post by GatorGreg »

Thanks for the info BB - what are your plans for the cameras? Are you going to post vlogs or do you just want to keep a record of your travels in case something should happen (e.g., the recent crazy case in Texas that's been in the news)?

I know what you mean about the gopros, they can get very expensive especially when you tack on the cost of the accessories and attachments, extra batteries, etc. I think I paid $269 on sale at bestbuy about 5 months ago for my GoPro hero 3+ silver. At the time (I think that model has been discontinued now) it was the cheapest GoPro that shot in 1080 at 60fps which was what I wanted for vlogging. However, I've since spent a small fortune on various accessories and attachments. I'm thinking about getting the GoPro attachment they sell for dogs - I'm curious to see what my dog is chasing around and barking at in the morning when I let her out - but that will set me back another 30 bucks or whatever they charge for it :D
2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

Very cool. I had looked at that as an option, but at this point I'll be waiting for Sena's new Prism Tube helmet cam coming early next year for $119. Comes with dual wind noise reduction mics so we can all try to become motovloggers.

Be sure to post some videos!
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

People I work with bought this (examples, as there are many Sports HD Action cams for the same price)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sunco%C2%AE-Act ... 080+camera - less than £40, superb pictures, comes with a whole raft of attachment options.
or this: (comes with waterproof case)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Camera-IceFox-O ... 080+camera
Blackbeard1718
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Blackbeard1718 »

GATORGREG!

No... no plans to VLOG, just some added Insurance on the Road/Ride. Had a Teen SOB driving Mommy's & Daddy's SUV last month, with two Gal-Pals as his passengers. For whatever reason..... he felt the need to run me off of the road three times, in a 10 minute window..... IN TOWN!!! All this, while I was riding my Honda Big Ruckus 250. Kept as far away from that $@#%&* as I could. Few miles later, heading home, he's in the same turn lane, I need to be in to get home. I got up close enough to get his Tag Number, right about the time he put his SUV into reverse, and took his foot off of the brake. Had he gunned it, he would have pinned me between his SUV and the car behind me. I was getting ready to bail to my right, if that SUV moved even as much as a micro-inch. I'm 59, Retired, and Disabled, and the LAST thing I want to do, is play Road-Games with some tourist kid!

The light changed, and he didn't move, until the guy behind me blew his horn, then he took off like a bat out of hell. About a block up, was the next light and we were stopped next to each other, with me on the far right side of my right lane, keeping distance from him. He couldn't drive sideways, so I was Safer, than being in front or back of him. While all three were laughing, I eyeballed his vehicle, getting Make/Model (already had the Tag...), Decals, any significant description, and a description of him (they had their windows down...) and his passengers. When I got home, my intention was to call the Police and Report him.

So..... when the light changed, I let him go first, and trailed behind in the other lane. Just as we got under the overpass, he turned left in to the Exxon Station to Fuel Up. I pulled off to the right, in the Walley World Parking Lot, parked my Scoot, removed my Helmet and Gloves, unzipped my Jacket, and grabbed my Cell. Saw the kid go into the store to pay for gas, and then come out and pump.

About a minute later, the Police showed up. I pointed to the Little Bastage across the street, and said, "That's him!" The Officer told me..... that the State of Texas..... does not make an arrest, apprehend, or question an individual, simply on here-say. My word against his! IF..... the Police don't see it happen..... then it DIDN'T happen! BUT..... the Officer reassured me..... and told me I did the "Right Thing", by calling the Police. I asked him to explain to me, exactly, "HOW" doing the right thing, was going to keep from getting me killed, when that kid was going to get back on the road again? He couldn't! I asked him if they SAW it on a Dash Cam Video, would it be proof enough, and he said yes!

So..... That's what led to my Research of Dash Cams, and my recent purchase (about an hour ago.....), of a Cardo Scala Rider Q1 Bluetooth Helmet Headset!

Yeah..... it's like that Old Bastage in Texas, that ran that motorcycle couple off of the road a few days ago, just because they passed over a Double-Yellow-Line. There are some CRAZIES out there, and apparently, 2-Wheelers have become Easy Targets as of late.

OK..... Done Venting..... Image

DKAZZED!

The Sena sounds pretty Cool, at a good Price-Point! I'll have to check it out!

ICEMAN!

Those Cameras look like the GoPros! Great Prices too! I hadn't seen those before!

Cheers!

BB
Blackbeard

"The Floggings will continue, until Morale improves!"

Current Scoot: 2014 Honda Forza 300 ABS (Red October)

Former Scoots: TNG Verona 150, Kymco People S200, Kymco People S250, Suzuki Burgman 400, Honda Ruckus 50, Yamaha Zuma 125, Kymco People GTi300, Honda Big Ruckus PS250