My throttle lock solution

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Red

My throttle lock solution

Post by MBMyer »

Am I the only person who did not know that the Forza’s grips are not merely the rubber(ish) cover but also the hard plastic body underneath?

I wanted to install a throttle lock, and have had good experiences with the Vista Cruise on a couple of other bikes. So I picked up one for Hondas in the right diameter for the Forza’s throttle & grip. I had to modify it slightly (see first two pix below) and then went to scoot the grip back so I had clearance to install it. I ended up messing up the rubber(ish) part of the grip at the end up against the multi-switch with the starter button & run/stop switch. What I did not realize is that there is a hard plastic ridge sticking up inside what I would have called the grip on every other bike I’ve owned. So, when I went to pry it back, thinking that I only had to work against grip glue, I was actually pressing that soft rubber(ish) material into the hard plastic ridge and cut up the rubber quite a bit. Not only that, but the hard plastic ridge means that there is no room to install the throttle lock.

(The good news here is that an OEM “grip” (with both the hard plastic sleeve that gets glues onto the throttle AND its rubber(ish), cover that would be what gets glued onto the throttle on most other bikes are sold as a single unit and arrived at my door for less than $10 USD.)

So, for anyone else who wants to install a Vista Cruise throttle lock (vel sim.) onto a Forza, here’s what to do. 

First, look at the third picture; it is of the “throttle grip” (#5 on this fiche <http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/201 ... #sch795511>) taken apart into its two components.

Now, carefully peel the rubber(ish) part up & off of the hard plastic ridge and roll it back along the grip far enough that you can work.

Next, grind / file off that ridge. I used a dremel to do the initial cut and then a grinding wheel on a drill to smooth it mostly down.

Modify the Honda model Vista cruise by cutting it down so that the now-smaller tab fits in between the two throttle cable nuts (see before & after pix, 1st two pix below).

Install the throttle lock basically according to instructions. I used some industrial 3M double stick on the non-moving part just for insurance, but it’s not necessary. It will look like the fourth pic.

Put some grip glue on the hard plastic part of the grip and roll the soft, rubber(ish) part bact down into place. Use a couple of 16 penny nails or something as spacers to keep the rubber grip from sitting against the Vista Cruise. Let the glue dry.

Put your big foam grip cover back on. It will look like the last picture.

This works a treat on my scoot. I hope that some of you can have similarly good results.

Pax et bonum,
Michael
commuting in The Big Muggy
Attachments
Vista Cruise before modification
Vista Cruise before modification
IMG_0992.JPG (34.24 KiB) Viewed 1409 times
Vista Cruise after modification
Vista Cruise after modification
IMG_0994.JPG (29.78 KiB) Viewed 1409 times
the two parts of the &quot;grip&quot;; note the big plastic ridge on the inner part of the grip
the two parts of the "grip"; note the big plastic ridge on the inner part of the grip
IMG_1025.JPG (153.26 KiB) Viewed 1409 times
ridge ground down &amp; Vista Cruise installed
ridge ground down & Vista Cruise installed
IMG_1028.JPG (115.94 KiB) Viewed 1409 times
grip &amp; big foam grip cover installed<br /><br />all done
grip & big foam grip cover installed

all done
IMG_1070.JPG (110.34 KiB) Viewed 1409 times
Current ride: 2014 Forza bought new in mid-2015 with only 15K on the clock
Traded in: 2003 GL1800 with 152K and several IBA rides on the clock
6 other previous bikes
nearly 3/4 million miles logged