Malossi Shocks

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Branyers14
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: Red

Malossi Shocks

Post by Branyers14 »

Installed these last night and they are a huge improvement over the stock pogo sticks. Slightly on the pricey side, but not too bad.
Attachments
IMG_0611.jpg
IMG_0611.jpg (175.49 KiB) Viewed 2997 times
Mario
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Re: Malossi Shocks

Post by Mario »

Looking good,and the above tension adjuster is a great improvement :)

Where and what dit you pay for it?
May the Forza be with you!!
Branyers14
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Branyers14 »

Yes they are much easier to adjust, no clearance issues, and the ride and handling is much better. I paid $249 US for them. Expensive but not Ohlins expensive. We have a shop here called Scooterpartsco.com. They carry a lot of stuff for our bikes not seen anywhere else.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Any reason these wouldn't fit http://www.scooterworks.com/yss-adjusta ... dcyr8-FNrQ

I've been looking at them for a while, price seems similar to your Malossi shocks
Attachments
YSSshocks.jpg
YSSshocks.jpg (187.58 KiB) Viewed 2963 times
waybar
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waybar »

Branyers14, I saw those shocks quite a while ago but didn't want to be the first to try them,
bookmarked the site. Now that you've tried them and say they help, I may have
to order them for next year. Right now I'm having eye vision problems so have to
get that corrected first. Thanks for posting about your results.
Branyers14
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Branyers14 »

Those are Thai made aren't they? The Malossis are made in Italy. Take from that what you will, but I trust Italian made more than I do Thai. Had a set of YSS shocks on my old CT70. I wound up switching to Daytonas because they were too soft. I don't know if that will be the case with these or not, they look nice enough and are surely better than stock.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Branyers14 wrote:Those are Thai made aren't they? The Malossis are made in Italy. Take from that what you will, but I trust Italian made more than I do Thai.
I think the whole bike is made in Thailand isn't it? :D or just assembled? I wish he would have linked the seller so we could learn a little more about where he shopped that price on Malossi shocks.
Branyers14
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Branyers14 »

No I think the parts are made there too. Could maybe have something to do with the number of recalls we are seeing on the Forza. But the PCX is made in Thailand too. It's a simpler bike, but seems to be reliable. Hell, my gf's Metropolitan was made in China. How's that for disappointment?
Branyers14
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Branyers14 »

homie wrote:
Branyers14 wrote:Those are Thai made aren't they? The Malossis are made in Italy. Take from that what you will, but I trust Italian made more than I do Thai.
I think the whole bike is made in Thailand isn't it? :D or just assembled? I wish he would have linked the seller so we could learn a little more about where he shopped that price on Malossi shocks.
Dude, right here:

http://scooterpartsco.com/honda-scooter ... rza-nss300
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

oops.. this is Forza chat, I hate it when that happens :) never mind and the YSS picture is for PCX sorry. I don't know the difference or even if there is one. Little bigger view of your bike next time could have helped me see what we were doing here.
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: red

Post by SteveP »

When you say the ride is improved with the Malossi shocks do you mean it's smoother and more comfortable? I ride solo and weigh about 140 pounds and I find the ride feels way to stiff at the rear, especially on sharp bumps. it's my only meaningful complaint with the Forza.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

I hsve the YSS's and the best way I can describe a good shock is what happens after you hit the bump. A good shock does not jar you and "recovers" better. That's the only way that I can explain it after messing with shocks for 40 years. You can set the preload on most so they never bottom out, but also a good shock will be far more sensitive to keeping things in control at very light hits for holes…

I'm not sure that the YSS is that great a shock, I just think the Honda is a very poor shock. I was selling Honda motorcycles in the 70s and we all agreed at the store that the Honda shocks were terrible. We used to say that they had fish oil in them, meaning it was a very poor dampening and rebound it was almost just like it was a total entire spring. After getting my PCX I felt nothing is changed. And why I did the YSS the first weekend of ownership

All just my opin.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Branyers14
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Branyers14 »

SteveP wrote:When you say the ride is improved with the Malossi shocks do you mean it's smoother and more comfortable? I ride solo and weigh about 140 pounds and I find the ride feels way to stiff at the rear, especially on sharp bumps. it's my only meaningful complaint with the Forza.
The ride is smoother, bumps don't jar the entire bike nearly as much and it seems to stick to the road better.
TonyM
Regular User
Regular User

Post by TonyM »

Branyers14, the shocks look great and the adjustment also looks easier to do. I'm thinking about ordering a set of them and having a friend install them for me.

To install them do you have to remove panels to get to the upper bolt for the shock? Looks like kind of tight clearances in there between the shock mount and the scooter panel. Might be real tough to get a torque wrench and socket behind the panel.

Are you still happy with them?

Thanks in advance.
US Army vet
Previous rides: many motorcycles; 2007 Honda Silverwing; 2009 Kymco S250; and 2008 Burg 400
Branyers14
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Branyers14 »

TonyM wrote:Branyers14, the shocks look great and the adjustment also looks easier to do. I'm thinking about ordering a set of them and having a friend install them for me.

To install them do you have to remove panels to get to the upper bolt for the shock? Looks like kind of tight clearances in there between the shock mount and the scooter panel. Might be real tough to get a torque wrench and socket behind the panel.

Are you still happy with them?

Thanks in advance.
Easy install, no panel removal necessary like on the PCX. The upper shock mounts do have tight clearances but can be removed with a standard wrench. Getting a torque wrench or socket in there will be difficult if not impossible.
TonyM
Regular User
Regular User

Post by TonyM »

Branyers14, thanks for responding back. So it sounds like you did not torque down the bolts for the shocks - at least for the top bolts. Isn't that sort of risky?

How does your bike ride now? Was the expense worth it?
US Army vet
Previous rides: many motorcycles; 2007 Honda Silverwing; 2009 Kymco S250; and 2008 Burg 400
kar120c
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 Forza 300

Post by kar120c »

May you post a full side pic of the scooter? left side, if you can please
Branyers14
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Branyers14 »

TonyM wrote:Branyers14, thanks for responding back. So it sounds like you did not torque down the bolts for the shocks - at least for the top bolts. Isn't that sort of risky?

How does your bike ride now? Was the expense worth it?

Sure, I torqued them. "Tight" is a torque, right?

Bear in mind the Malossi shocks are racing shocks, so they do not have a ton of give, nor are they plush. But the bike absorbs bumps in the road much better than the stock shocks. Handling is improved as well. However, I should mention that putting some quality oil in the front forks may also work wonders. I notice the rear is much smoother, but that the front is in need of improvements as well.
TonyM
Regular User
Regular User

Post by TonyM »

Too bad they're considered "racing shocks" because they'd probably void my warranty. Also, I would need to have the dealer install them for me and they would charge me a small fortune to remove the plastic bodywork and then install the shocks.

I finally go the two piece rear shock tool from Honda. It's worthless - I cannot turn the right side shock at all but I did manage to bruise the hell out of my hand by repeatedly smacking my hand against the muffler. Talk about a worthless tool.

The improved ride does sound appealing to me. I can't get over how harsh and rough the ride is on this scooter. Can I say "I miss my Burgman"?
US Army vet
kar120c
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 Forza 300

Post by kar120c »

I think is impossible that aftearket shocks voids warranty. The only thing is that in some countries they could have need of some kind of approval
As I asked before, please post a full pic of your Forza so I can see how these shocks looks compared to the stock ones