Malossi Shocks

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

SteveP
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: red

Re: Malossi Shocks

Post by SteveP »

TonyM wrote:Too bad they're considered "racing shocks" because they'd probably void my warranty. Also, I would need to have the dealer install them for me and they would charge me a small fortune to remove the plastic bodywork and then install the shocks.

I finally go the two piece rear shock tool from Honda. It's worthless - I cannot turn the right side shock at all but I did manage to bruise the hell out of my hand by repeatedly smacking my hand against the muffler. Talk about a worthless tool.

The improved ride does sound appealing to me. I can't get over how harsh and rough the ride is on this scooter. Can I say "I miss my Burgman"?

No need to remove any body work to get the rear shocks off. A 14mm box-end wrench is all that's needed...with maybe a length of pipe to use as a "cheater bar" for extra leverage, as they are quite tight from the factory. Tighten the bolts to "good and tight" when reinstalling. A large pair of channel-lock pliers will turn the preload adjuster. On the left shock you can use them with shock installed. On the right, remove the lower bolt and swing the shock to the rear. Use a long bar or screwdriver thru the mounting eye to keep the shock from turning and then use the channel-lock pliers to adjust the preload setting.
TonyM
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Post by TonyM »

I'm tempted to try SteveP's suggestion and see if adjusting the shocks to the "soft" setting will be enough for me without having to buy the pricey aftermarket shocks.

But I haven't gotten the courage up to try removing the right side bolt to make the adjustment. You see, I have injuries to my right hand which used to be my strong hand. I do not have much strength or flexibility left in that hand so it's difficult to use it for mechanical tasks that require force and flexibility. I'm concerned that I won't have enough strength to re-tighten it enough.

I can't believe that Honda designed this scooter in such a way that you cannot adjust the right side shock without unbolting it!
US Army vet
Previous rides: many motorcycles; 2007 Honda Silverwing; 2009 Kymco S250; and 2008 Burg 400
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SteveP »

TonyM wrote:I'm tempted to try SteveP's suggestion and see if adjusting the shocks to the "soft" setting will be enough for me without having to buy the pricey aftermarket shocks.

But I haven't gotten the courage up to try removing the right side bolt to make the adjustment. You see, I have injuries to my right hand which used to be my strong hand. I do not have much strength or flexibility left in that hand so it's difficult to use it for mechanical tasks that require force and flexibility. I'm concerned that I won't have enough strength to re-tighten it enough.

I can't believe that Honda designed this scooter in such a way that you cannot adjust the right side shock without unbolting it!
If the box-end wrench is long enough (with or without the pipe cheater bar), position it so that you can step on it with your foot to break the bolt loose. Once loose it will turn easy. To retighten it, use the pipe cheater bar and your left hand. "One grunt tight" should be good enough. Don't think there's any worries about breaking the bolt...it's strong.
Branyers14
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: Red

Post by Branyers14 »

Another angle as requested.
Attachments
IMG_0615.jpg
IMG_0615.jpg (219.31 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
TonyM
Regular User
Regular User

Post by TonyM »

Thanks for the tip on how to break the bolt free. Did you use the Locktite stuff on it when you tightened the bolt back on?

My 14mm box wrench is pretty short and I do not have a pipe to use for extra leverage. I might have access to a tool called a "breaker bar" that might work if I have a 14mm socket - I'll have to check on that.
US Army vet
Previous rides: many motorcycles; 2007 Honda Silverwing; 2009 Kymco S250; and 2008 Burg 400
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SteveP »

TonyM wrote:Thanks for the tip on how to break the bolt free. Did you use the Locktite stuff on it when you tightened the bolt back on?

My 14mm box wrench is pretty short and I do not have a pipe to use for extra leverage. I might have access to a tool called a "breaker bar" that might work if I have a 14mm socket - I'll have to check on that.
I haven't used any Locktite on these bolts. Don't think it's necessary (recheck the tightness after riding 100 miles or so) but it won't hurt to use it. Auto part stored should have it.

I'm not sure there's room to use a socket on the lower right side bolt...muffler in the way. Take your 14mm wrench to the hardware store and get a length of pipe that the other end of the wrench will slide into. A foot long should be plenty. Slide the wrench about half way into the pipe...that should give plenty of leverage.
TonyM
Regular User
Regular User

Post by TonyM »

SteveP, thanks again for the info. What you described makes it sound doable for me to try. I had not yet tried fitting the 14mm socket with the breaker bar attached but if they don't fit, then I know to try your method which sounds logical.

In checking my misc motorcycle/scooter cabinet, I found some Honda brand Locktite stuff. I think that I will put the stuff on the bolt when I try this. But, as you suggested, I will also check it for tightness every now and then.
US Army vet
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SteveP »

TonyM wrote:SteveP, thanks again for the info. What you described makes it sound doable for me to try. I had not yet tried fitting the 14mm socket with the breaker bar attached but if they don't fit, then I know to try your method which sounds logical.

In checking my misc motorcycle/scooter cabinet, I found some Honda brand Locktite stuff. I think that I will put the stuff on the bolt when I try this. But, as you suggested, I will also check it for tightness every now and then.
I looked when out in the garage...a 3/8 drive 14mm socket and bar should fit if, but it's close.
TonyM
Regular User
Regular User

Post by TonyM »

SteveP, another question for you.

I was able to get the 14mm socket and breaker bar on the bolt and I started to unloosen it. I was surprised that it was not on very tight. Anyway, I got the bolt about half way unfastened when I freaked out.

My question: once the bolt is removed, will the shock freely swing back so that I can access it in order to change the setting to "soft"?

And, will the bike sag down on that side or will the other (left side) shock hold the bike in place? I'm concerned that I won't be able to get the right side bolt back in if the bike sags on the right side once I've removed the bolt to make the shock adjustment.

Thanks,
Tony
US Army vet
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SteveP »

TonyM wrote:SteveP, another question for you.

I was able to get the 14mm socket and breaker bar on the bolt and I started to unloosen it. I was surprised that it was not on very tight. Anyway, I got the bolt about half way unfastened when I freaked out.

My question: once the bolt is removed, will the shock freely swing back so that I can access it in order to change the setting to "soft"?

And, will the bike sag down on that side or will the other (left side) shock hold the bike in place? I'm concerned that I won't be able to get the right side bolt back in if the bike sags on the right side once I've removed the bolt to make the shock adjustment.

Thanks,
Tony

Put the scooter up on it's center stand and you won't have any problems removing and reattaching the lower bolt.
TonyM
Regular User
Regular User

Post by TonyM »

SteveP, thank you again. I had the scooter on its side stand when I started to remove the bolt. Good thing that I stopped after I got it half way off!

Tomorrow, I will do as you said and put it on the center stand and then remove the bolt to adjust the shock settings.

I will let you know if the adjustment helps soften the ride for me. In the meantime I am using the large Butt Buffer seat pad which really helps. Today, while looking through motorcycle/scooter parts boxes in my garage, I found another Butt Buffer pad that I had bought for my 09 Kymco 250s. It's a small pad but what I plan to do is to set it on top of the larger one that I already have on my Forza and perhaps get double the effect.

Thanks again SteveP!
US Army vet
TonyM
Regular User
Regular User

Post by TonyM »

SteveP, today I used the technique that you suggested to access the shock bolt and it worked perfectly! After I rotated the shock to check the setting, I was surprised to see it was already on the 2nd softest position. That was the position that I had planned to put it on. I checked the left side shock and it too was on the same setting. So I left them alone and tightened the bolt back on.

I had read someplace that the "softest" position should not be used but I don't remember why. I might try it sometime to see what happens.

So for now, I will rely on using my two Butt Buffer pads at the same time.

While I was on a roll, I installed the U-shaped RAM mount on my handlebar so that I can use my GPS.

Next up will be to remove the dealer installed Battery Tender lead from the battery and install my Gerbings brand lead that will support both my Gerbing's heated gloves or the grip warmers that I purchased from Aerostich. Looks like getting the battery compartment cover off and accessing the battery will be quite a challenge. Not looking forward to it.
US Army vet
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SteveP »

TonyM wrote:I had read someplace that the "softest" position should not be used but I don't remember why. I might try it sometime to see what happens.

So for now, I will rely on using my two Butt Buffer pads at the same time.
Mine is on the softest setting and works fine...but it still seems to hard. The only reason I'd think there'd be to avoid the softest setting would be the weight of rider (and passenger if applicable). Not sure what weight that would be. I weigh about 140 pounds and never carry a passenger. I put a "dab" of clay on top of the shock (lower "female" part) to see if the shock was bottoming over big bumps. So far the "dab" hasn't been crushed.
TonyM
Regular User
Regular User

Post by TonyM »

Well, I don't weigh much more than you do SteveP, so I decided to try the softest setting. Also, I always ride solo.

I removed the bolt and tried to turn the darn shock to the soft position but I was unable to turn it. I tried the two piece tool that I bought but I did not have enough strength in my right hand to turn the shock. And the stupid tool kept coming apart and clanking down to the garage floor. I stuck a screwdriver through the bolt holes to hold it steady but I just could not do it. So for now, it will remain on the next softest setting.

Maybe next time that I'm near a Honda dealer, I will ask them to put it on the softest setting. It's frustrating trying to do things with only one good hand and no mechanical skills.
US Army vet
TonyM
Regular User
Regular User

Post by TonyM »

I recalled another thread about someone using a hammer and a screwdriver to turn the darn shock. So I put the scooter on the center stand and tried the hammer and screwdriver method on the right side shock. After a few hits, ta da! It worked and the shock turned to the soft setting! And I was able to use the crappy two piece tool to turn the left side shock.

Now to tackle the darn battery connection for my Gerbing's Battery Harness system. Wish me luck with accessing the battery cover and battery connections.
US Army vet
CelticCross
Year: 2011
Color: Gray

Post by CelticCross »

For installing the Malossi shock, what tools other than a 14mm box wrench are needed? Is it really as simple as removing the existing shocks and bolting on the new Malossi shocks? By simple, I am referring to the number of steps and not the level of effort. what other steps are needed?

Thanks